Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cats Bring Potential HIV Breakthrough

Lava_Lady

"Researchers from the University of Florida and University of California, San Francisco are reporting a surprise finding that may lead to the development of an effective vaccination against thehuman immunodeficiency virus (HIV). And the finding involves cats.

More specifically, it involves the discovery of an immune responsein humans infected with HIV to a specific protein associated with the feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV). " - by Dr. Lorie Huston, DVM | http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/cats-bring-potential-breakthrough-hiv-research-150300748.html

Great news. They can send the vaccine to Africa to those people eating the infected fruit bats, but just because there is a vaccine does not mean that they should keep eating the bats.

Obviously, this is only one area of the problems with HIV.

• Like 1

Great news. They can send the vaccine to Africa to those people eating the infected fruit bats, but just because there is a vaccine does not mean that they should keep eating the bats.

Obviously, this is only one area of the problems with HIV.

Do the fruit bats carry HIV??? If yes, and it's transferable via eating them, seems like a pretty simple solution, stop eating fruit bats.

• Like 1

Do the fruit bats carry HIV??? If yes, and it's transferable via eating them, seems like a pretty simple solution, stop eating fruit bats.

It seems so, Still Waters has started a thread about it, coincidently just after you started this one.

Can't do the link....cos on my husbands tablet and do not know how and i am not geting out of bed to turn on the tower.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

It seems so, Still Waters has started a thread about it, coincidently just after you started this one.

Can't do the link....cos on my husbands tablet and do not know how and i am not geting out of bed to turn on the tower.

haha! I understand completely! I'll look for it.

• Like 1

haha! I understand completely! I'll look for it.

There were 2 links on that thread, only one now.

The virus is a strain and the rabies virus was already known about.

So although I said HIV, its anothe strain.

• Like 1

There were 2 links on that thread, only one now.

The virus is a strain and the rabies virus was already known about.

So although I said HIV, its anothe strain.

yech! They don't even need to carry HIV to avoid them. They are chock full o' disease for sure! Better to just admire them from afar, they are not as helpful as sweet little kitty cats.

• Like 1

Well, if you just gotta eat fruit bats then you really need to learn to clean and cook them properly.

Deep frying them has always worked for me.

• Like 1