Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Cats Bring Potential HIV Breakthrough

feline hiv hiv breakthrough

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 19 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

"Researchers from the University of Florida and University of California, San Francisco are reporting a surprise finding that may lead to the development of an effective vaccination against thehuman immunodeficiency virus (HIV). And the finding involves cats.

More specifically, it involves the discovery of an immune responsein humans infected with HIV to a specific protein associated with the feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV). "   -  by Dr. Lorie Huston, DVM | petMD.com

Read more:  [nlink='']http://shine.yahoo.c...-150300748.html[/nlink]

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,106 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

Great news. They can send the vaccine to Africa to those people eating the infected fruit bats, but just because there is a vaccine does not mean that they should keep eating the bats.
Obviously, this is only one area of the problems with HIV.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:12 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 November 2013 - 10:59 PM, said:

Great news. They can send the vaccine to Africa to those people eating the infected fruit bats, but just because there is a vaccine does not mean that they should keep eating the bats.
Obviously, this is only one area of the problems with HIV.

Do the fruit bats carry HIV???  If yes, and it's transferable via eating them, seems like a pretty simple solution, stop eating fruit bats.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,106 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 19 November 2013 - 11:12 PM, said:

Do the fruit bats carry HIV???  If yes, and it's transferable via eating them, seems like a pretty simple solution, stop eating fruit bats.
It seems so, Still Waters has started a thread about it, coincidently just after you started this one.
Can't do the link....cos on my husbands tablet and do not know how and i am not geting out of bed to turn on the tower.

Edited by freetoroam, 19 November 2013 - 11:16 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:16 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 November 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

It seems so, Still Waters has started a thread about it, coincidently just after you started this one.
Can't do the link....cos on my husbands tablet and do not know how and i am not geting out of bed to turn on the tower.

haha!  I understand completely!  I'll look for it.

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 7,106 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:34 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 19 November 2013 - 11:16 PM, said:

haha!  I understand completely!  I'll look for it.
There were 2 links on that thread, only one now.
The virus is a strain and the rabies virus was already known about.
So although I said HIV, its anothe strain.

#7    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:50 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 19 November 2013 - 11:34 PM, said:

There were 2 links on that thread, only one now.
The virus is a strain and the rabies virus was already known about.
So although I said HIV, its anothe strain.

yech!  They don't even need to carry HIV to avoid them.   They are chock full o' disease for sure!  Better to just admire them from afar, they are not as helpful as sweet little kitty cats.

#8    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Well, if you just gotta eat fruit bats then you really need to learn to clean and cook them properly.

Deep frying them has always worked for me.

#9    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,246 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

Deep frying covers a lot of sins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users