Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Fined for bad packed lunch

canada

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:54 AM

I don't know what to think anymore.
I know they have tried to ban home lunchs in the USA, but Canada now?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mother Fined For Not 'Balancing' Child's Lunch With Ritz CrackersA mother who thought she was sending her children to school with a decent homemade, whole-food lunch was shocked to find a penalty note from school officials informing her that the lunch of roast beef, potatoes, carrots, oranges and milk she provided was "unbalanced" and therefore had to be supplemented with Ritz crackers.

More here, with images :

http://preventdiseas...tm_medium=email

Miss me?

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,647 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:29 AM

Sounds like the lunch isn't the only "unbalanced" thing there....

#3    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,698 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 12:24 PM

I saw this - absolutely ridiculous.

When did we get this idea that every single meal had to be balanced to be healthy?

As some commenters have pointed out on other forums where this was discussed, the mother could have packed a much less healthy meal and it would have been balanced.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#4    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,879 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

ritz crackers are garbage.

but i  support that move from canadian dept of ed.

seeing how most canadians here support taking away legal  guns from law abiding americans.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#5    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:03 PM

View Postaztek, on 20 November 2013 - 04:00 PM, said:

ritz crackers are garbage.

but i  support that move from canadian dept of ed.

seeing how most canadians here support taking away legal  guns from law abiding americans.
A bit childish, don't you think?

#6    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,879 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 20 November 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

A bit childish, don't you think?

do you really care what i think???

RESIDENT TROLL.

#7    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,654 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:15 PM

It was a rhetorical question.

#8    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,939 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

I'm wondering how long ago this incident happened. I've some across a couple reports that the school has since dropped this policy and started providing a hot lunch program that the mom thinks is a good program.

#9    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,953 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

Why ritz cackers.  Could the school princeapel having stock in the company.  Besides what she sent is balanced.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#10    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,976 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

I can understand concern for the children's nutrition and communicating with the parents ...   but how could they possibly think that they have any right to levy Fines ?  

Is the $5 dollar (Canadian)  Fine to offset the cost of their involvement   and   the Ritz crackers that they felt so strongly compelled to supplement  ?       Bizarre .

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#11    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,676 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

View PostRafterman, on 20 November 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

I saw this - absolutely ridiculous.

When did we get this idea that every single meal had to be balanced to be healthy?

As some commenters have pointed out on other forums where this was discussed, the mother could have packed a much less healthy meal and it would have been balanced.

Where did anyone get the idea that they need to snoop on everyone and sift through their stuff?
Is this some sort of a "law" or just a recommendation?

From what I am reading, it sounds like it is just a "guideline" and therefore the schools have no jurisdiction to impose fines; if it was really a "law" then it is a matter for the courts and not the school.

Personally if it was my kid I'd be visiting the principal ASAP (As Soon As Possible) and protest this orwellian trash.

View Postlightly, on 20 November 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

I can understand concern for the children's nutrition and communicating with the parents ...  

Not their business or concern. Focus on education and keep out of peoples homes, lives, diets and so on.

Edited by Ryu, 20 November 2013 - 10:18 PM.

#12    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,676 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 20 November 2013 - 10:18 PM

Here is another issue. Why are we (collectively speaking) doing all this to children?
Would we as adults stand for this invasion if our bosses or college teachers decided to snoop through everyones lunches, be it home made or bought, to see if they are "up to par"? No? Then why do we go along with this when it is done to our kids?

Our kids are being constantly being used as test subjects for the future implementation of even greater measures of social control and conditioning.

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,236 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:47 AM

Priceless...

I like how the note uses a font to appear hand written.

$10 seems a little steep to me. But, I guess if you're heading into a Nanny State that is what it takes to punish the parents into toeing the government line.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,236 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:51 AM

View PostRyu, on 20 November 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

Here is another issue. Why are we (collectively speaking) doing all this to children?
Would we as adults stand for this invasion if our bosses or college teachers decided to snoop through everyones lunches, be it home made or bought, to see if they are "up to par"? No? Then why do we go along with this when it is done to our kids?

Our kids are being constantly being used as test subjects for the future implementation of even greater measures of social control and conditioning.
I agree it is social conditioning. It is under the guise of helping the students, but it is with treats that people train dogs.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#15    sarah_444

sarah_444

Poltergeist

• 2,788 posts

• "It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." -Henry David Thoreau

Posted 21 November 2013 - 03:12 AM

View Postrashore, on 20 November 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

I'm wondering how long ago this incident happened. I've some across a couple reports that the school has since dropped this policy and started providing a hot lunch program that the mom thinks is a good program.

December 2012 - almost a year ago.

Keep in mind that this did not happen at a school. It's a private daycare, which has an entirely different set of regulations set out by Manitoba Health.  This means that parents are probably aware of the regulations when they choose to send their kid there. Also I have to mention that apparently the mother in this story was actually on the board who created the fine giving policy in the first place.

That doesn't mean I agree with the policy though.  It was ridiculous and confusing. The food guide is a guide. It doesn't say anywhere that something from every category needs to be eaten at every meal, more of a "daily requirement".  So what's the big deal?
Since the story broke though, the government has apparently told daycares that they don't need to take the Food Guide quite so literally as long as kids are getting healthy balanced meals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users