Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giant native americans

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    Loreoffolk

Loreoffolk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 08:57 AM

http://www.sott.net/...d-Men-of-renown

Here's one for your "Forbidden Archaeology" file.Scientists are remaining stubbornly silent about a lost race of giants found in burial mounds near Lake Delavan, Wisconsin, in May 1912. The dig site at Lake Delavan was overseen by Beloit Collegeand it included more than 200 effigy mounds that proved to be classic examples of 8th century Woodland Culture. But the enormous size of the skeletons and elongated skulls found in May 1912 did not fit very neatly into anyone's concept of a textbook standard. They were enormous. These were not average human beings.

#2    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,752 posts

• Redbonz Stumpjumper from the swamps of Shamong

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:35 AM

"Archeologists?" back then had a bad habit of exaggerating to prove their various "theories" and disarticulated skeletons look taller. There is a thread about this over in the alternate ancient history section.

Token Nanticoke
http://woodlandindia...orums/index.php
It takes a certain amount of sophistication to live primitive. Stupid people usually don't survive...............

"There aren't any Indians in New Jersey. Just some inbred ******* that live in the woods."

-Donald Trump

#3    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,752 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

Ah! The "Great Smithsonian Cover Up" myth. The people who built these mounds in Wisconsin were the "Fort Ancient Culture" the ancestors of the Central Algonquians.

edit: the article cites a Nat Geo article that was actually talking about Mastodons.........

Edited by Piney, 21 November 2013 - 12:15 PM.

Token Nanticoke
It takes a certain amount of sophistication to live primitive. Stupid people usually don't survive...............

"There aren't any Indians in New Jersey. Just some inbred ******* that live in the woods."

-Donald Trump

#4    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

I keep hearing about these ancient giant skeletons that are supposed to be hidden from the world in the bowels of the Smithsonian"s infamous basement which is likened to the warehouse scene from the end of "Raiders of the Lost Arc".

Personally, I'd like to see them just to be sure they are as advertised.

#5    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,752 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 21 November 2013 - 12:15 PM, said:

I keep hearing about these ancient giant skeletons that are supposed to be hidden from the world in the bowels of the Smithsonian"s infamous basement which is likened to the warehouse scene from the end of "Raiders of the Lost Arc".

Personally, I'd like to see them just to be sure they are as advertised.

You won't it's crap. "The road apples" of some flakes mind

Token Nanticoke

-Donald Trump

#6    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

I figured as much, but you have to wonder why they allow such BS to be continued with their name attached to it. I'd think someone with the reputation of the The Smithsonian, wouldn't want to be associated with such nonsense.

#7    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,752 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 12:45 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 21 November 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

I figured as much, but you have to wonder why they allow such BS to be continued with their name attached to it. I'd think someone with the reputation of the The Smithsonian, wouldn't want to be associated with such nonsense.

American Indian Anthropologists and archeologists who work with the Smithsonian have been debunking it for quite some time. But there are not many of us and many are too busy. I debunk it here constantly. But I grow weary of it and it's become really stale.
Other Smithsonian employees are weary of it too. When they are contacted they deny it but people still believe what they want.

Token Nanticoke

-Donald Trump

#8    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:50 AM

I do know there have been some rather large human skeletons found, but we're talking seven to seven and a half feet. That is within the normal range for someone with gigantism or someone who was just abnormally large. Some of these "reports" talk about people ten to twelve feet tall. If you were twelve feet tall and them you be two feet taller than a regulation basketball rim. You'd look down on Shaq and tell him, "Go away little man."

#9    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,752 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 22 November 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

I do know there have been some rather large human skeletons found, but we're talking seven to seven and a half feet. That is within the normal range for someone with gigantism or someone who was just abnormally large. Some of these "reports" talk about people ten to twelve feet tall. If you were twelve feet tall and them you be two feet taller than a regulation basketball rim. You'd look down on Shaq and tell him, "Go away little man."

View Postkeninsc, on 22 November 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

My Uncle Sonny is 6'6" and many people in The Durham family among the Nanticoke tribe are around that height. If his skeleton was disarticulated and laid out he would look about 8'. On top of that Europeans were a lot shorter in the 17th, 18th, and 19th Centuries. So a skeleton that's about 5'11'' would appear 7' tall after being laid out and /or wired up.
I've seen soooo many American Indian remains in the past 20 years I've forgotten half the sites, museums and private collections I've looked at. But I'm certain an NDN that was 7' would stick in my mind.
  We handled a private collection where the guy's family had been looting for 3 generations. He had some serious high quality Adena stuff. His family was targeting Webb Phase and Middlesex Phase sites because they were illegal dealers and that's were the money is. I imagine that half the skeletal remains came from the same loci. None were larger than normal.

Token Nanticoke

-Donald Trump

#10    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

So interesting, I just wish there was some more evidence ie photographs.

Posted Image

#11    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,752 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:17 PM

View Postskookum, on 22 November 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

So interesting, I just wish there was some more evidence ie photographs.

You won't. Read the post above yours.
Even the story about Goliath being 12' tall was added during the Maccabean Period. In the original story he was only 6' tall. Whoever wrote this needs to do some deeper research.

Token Nanticoke

-Donald Trump

#12    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,274 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:41 PM

I've read a couple of old news articles about this. The size of the skeletons could have easily been sensationalized, as mentioned, but what I find interesting is the descriptions of the skulls.  I've seen mounds while out in the woods before, but I'm not motivated to dig them up to see what's in them because they're probably old Cherokee burial sites. And that's a line I won't cross under any circumstance.

Posted Image

#13    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostStardrive, on 22 November 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

I've read a couple of old news articles about this. The size of the skeletons could have easily been sensationalized, as mentioned, but what I find interesting is the descriptions of the skulls.  I've seen mounds while out in the woods before, but I'm not motivated to dig them up to see what's in them because they're probably old Cherokee burial sites. And that's a line I won't cross under any circumstance.

If memory holds the Cherokee didn't use mounds for burial......there were mound building cultures but I don't think the Cherokee were part of that. Still, regardless, Native Americans get very upset when you disturb someone's grave. Can't say as I blame them, I'd get p***ed too if someone started digging up great grand daddy just to see how tall he was.

By the way Piney, you should check up on your facts, skeletal remains can be almost exactly determine actual height within an inch. The only reason that variation exists is due to space between joints and vertebra.

#14    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,274 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

I had to do some research to find out for sure ken, I found this: Cherokee Indian Cremation in Burial Mounds

Posted Image

#15    Midyin

Midyin

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:56 PM

This is one of those myths that I would like to be real, but know isn't...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users