Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Stonehenge experts wrong for almost 100 years

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 9,560 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

Red-faced Stonehenge experts look for clues in wrong area for almost 100 years

"For 90 years they have been scouring Pembrokeshire’s Preseli Hills, where Stonehenge’s outer ring is thought to have originated. But yesterday geologists revealed the stones came from another hill, one mile away".

http://www.express.c...lmost-100-years

OH well, we live and learn!!:lol:

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 3,833 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hmm, I'd like to see a counter of how many "experts" face-palmed over this.  Everyone probably assumed everyone else already looked around for matching stones lol.

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,497 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

"Ummm... Ah.... We made no mistake in our 90 year research into the Preseli Hills... We... ummm... were researching the 'control' site.. and now we are prepared to study
the actual site and then compare it to the uh... 'natural' site... Ummm... Ahhh... Yeah, that's it!"...

Edited by Taun, 22 November 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#4    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,324 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Red-faced these archaeologists may be, but at least science has shown itself to be self-correcting - even it it took 90 years to do so!

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#5    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,251 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

nothing wrong with accepting one's own mistake ... its those pompous blowhards that claims to have known all there is to know that needs to dance naked around the true site at the next festival ... hehehehhe

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#6    homo.liberis

homo.liberis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 03:43 AM

Still.....an incredible achievement.

#7    Big Jim

Big Jim

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 212 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

This should serve to remind us that the accepted dogma about all ancient sites might be wrong. Just because something is accepted as true doesn't make it so.

#8    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,021 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

At least they were looking in the right country. It would've been a bigger blunder had the stones come from somewhere else entirely rather than from just a different area of Wales.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users