Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA Tests Space Launch System Autopilot

space launch system sls f/a-18 orion nasa

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,896 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

NASA Tests Space Launch System Autopilot Technology on F/A-18 Jet

www.nasa.gov said:

An F/A-18 research jet simulated various flight conditions that NASA's Space Launch System may experience as it makes its way from the launch pad to space, to evaluate the rocket's flight control system. The tests are helping engineers design a system that can autonomously adjust to unexpected conditions during flight.

NASA has completed the first tests with an F/A-18 research jet to evaluate the autonomous flight control system for the agency's Space Launch System (SLS) rocket.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,896 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Algorithms + F/A-18 Jet = Vital Testing for SLS Flight Control System

www.nasa.gov said:

Raise your hand if, in a math class, you ever said, "When will I ever use this in my life?"

Four young engineers at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., can answer that question: They are using math to develop algorithms, or complex step-by-step equations, that can make an F/A-18 fighter jet fly like the Space Launch System (SLS) -- NASA's next heavy-lift launch vehicle.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,896 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

Math Models Make F-18 into Space Launch System

Engineers at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center talk about the new flight control system for the agency's Space Launch System. When completed, the rocket will be the largest, most powerful launch vehicle to support deep space missions.

Credit: NASA/MSFC

Source: NASA - Multimedia

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 30,896 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

LVAC: Advancing the Technology Readiness Of SLS Adaptive Controls

www.nasa.gov said:

Can a rocket maneuver like an airplane?

And can an airplane act as a surrogate for a maneuvering rocket?

NASA engineers demonstrated just that when they used a NASA F/A-18 aircraft recently to simulate a rocket in its early flight phase to test adaptive software for NASA's new rocket the Space Launch System (SLS), the largest, most powerful launch vehicle for deep space missions.

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users