Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

'Real site' of the Hanging Gardens of Babylon

hanging gardens of babylon dr stephanie dalley king nebuchadnezzar assyrians ninevah

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,735 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

It is the only one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World for which the location has for centuries remained elusive.

Now, though, an academic from Oxford University believes she has solved one of the world’s last great archaeological mysteries by identifying the precise spot on which the Hanging Gardens of Babylon once stood.

http://www.telegraph...of-Babylon.html

Posted Image

#2    dastardly77

dastardly77

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:59 AM

Have I got this right?

After 20 years of research her conclusion of the site (which she hasnt been to) is;

"That's the best place for it to be. It looks like a good place for a garden."

Well, im convinced.

#3    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,927 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:33 AM

View Postdastardly77, on 26 November 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

Have I got this right?

After 20 years of research her conclusion of the site (which she hasnt been to) is;

“That’s the best place for it to be. It looks like a good place for a garden."

Well, im convinced.

And...

The footage is the culmination of more than 20 years of research by Dr Dalley, from Oxford University’s Oriental Institute, to prove the correct location of the gardens.

So, she has worked on this 20 years and... "That's the best place for it to be. It looks like a good place for a garden.", is what she has to show for it. :cry:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#4    dragon1440

dragon1440

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

Well from the tone of her article and prior knowledge, it is impossible in the political scale of things for her to excavate and prove her case. The middle east has always been know as a very secretive when it comes to their archeology.They hardly ever let outsiders dig and discover.  Not to mention the violence still in the middle east.
It is sort of like the "god" particle, for years no one could prove it existed, only knew of it from the math of quantum physics. We only discovered the Higgs Bosin (spelling) last year, and people had been exploring that for well over 20 years. So I can see why people will be skeptical of "That's the best place for it to be. It looks like a good place for a garden." But people have to keep these factors in mind.

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 15,125 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

A bit ridiculous don't you think, the hanging gardens of Babylon not being in Babylon?

#6    prometheuscomplex

prometheuscomplex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

People comment before doing any of their own research.
1.) "Babylon" was a common phrase that meant "Gate of the Gods" and was used PRIOR to the (more) famous city.
2.) King Sennacherib made references to his Garden of Babylon, whereas the Nebuchadnezzar made zero references to a garden.
3.) We get the idea of it being in Babylon because 1 scribe, Josephus, made the claim hundreds of years after the fact, likely due to the name confusion already pointed out.

*sigh*

#7    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

"With no archaeological evidence ever found for them, many have dismissed the gardens as a myth." I am always excited by anything new that can turn established academia on it's ear. I don't care for the author's use of the word "many" in place of something more descriptive (by 'many' does he mean my Aunt Marge and her book club?), but he does hint at the idea that academia gets an idea in it's head that seems plausible and then cements it in place as fact.

Come to think of it, Aunt Marge has quite a bit of common sense and would likely get along famously with Dr. Dalley :)

#8    born2run

born2run

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 90 posts

• "I am afeared there are few die well that die in battle".
    King Henry V,Act IV. Scene i.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

Anything "might" be possible but it would take a lot more than what I have read to take her decision of the location just like a bluff in poker and probably not that convincing. :yes:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. :no:

#9    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 15,125 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:18 AM

View Postprometheuscomplex, on 26 November 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

People comment before doing any of their own research.
1.) "Babylon" was a common phrase that meant "Gate of the Gods" and was used PRIOR to the (more) famous city.
2.) King Sennacherib made references to his Garden of Babylon, whereas the Nebuchadnezzar made zero references to a garden.
3.) We get the idea of it being in Babylon because 1 scribe, Josephus, made the claim hundreds of years after the fact, likely due to the name confusion already pointed out.

*sigh*
And we probably know much more thousands of years later than Josephus did hundreds.

#10    LimeGelatin

LimeGelatin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

• We were meant to live for so much more...

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

"Um, I won't be going to get my own self murdered, but I'll pay you to walk into a war torn area and take footage of a site I want to believe is the location of an ancient treasury, even though the name of the treasury itself should guide you to the actual location where it once was..." -Sounds like someone way to willing to play with other peoples lives for absolutely no good reason at all, but that's just my way of reading it...

#11    homo.liberis

homo.liberis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:19 PM

"A bit ridiculous don't you think, the hanging gardens of Babylon not being in Babylon?"

Almost as ridiculous as Leeds castle not being in Leeds ;)

#12    homo.liberis

homo.liberis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

I watched the doc and while the speculation was backed by good deductive reasoning methinks Channel 4 put this out too early and with a misleading title. Time will tell.

Debt is the slavery of the free.
– Publius Syrus (Roman author, 1st Cent. B.C.)

As Bastiat observed, ‘To man responsibility is all-important. It is his mover and teacher, his rewarder and his avenger. Without it man is no longer a free agent, he is no longer perfectible, no longer a moral being, he learns nothing, he is nothing. He abandons himself to inaction, and becomes a mere unit of the herd.’

#13    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:18 PM

There is confusion that myth and legend is the same as fairy tale, tall tales and fireside stories. When in reality they are distorted truth. As the old saying goes where there smoke there is fire.

#14    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,830 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

View Postmarcos anthony toledo, on 28 November 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

There is confusion that myth and legend is the same as fairy tale, tall tales and fireside stories. When in reality they are distorted truth. As the old saying goes where there smoke there is fire.

The only confusion is in believing that myths and legends are the same thing. They're not.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#15    prometheuscomplex

prometheuscomplex

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

@OverSword
I hope that's not sarcasm.
We do know more because 1.) We have archaeology & more access to historical accounts to get a more complete picture. 2.) Being a non-royal scribe during his time period was equivalent to being a gossip recorder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users