Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

The Red Haired Giants of Lovelock Cave

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,558 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:21 PM

Given some of the recent posts about Native American giants, I thought some of you might enjoy this week's Skeptoid episode on the The Red Haird Giants of Lovelock Cave.  I was not familiar with the tale and found it fascinating.  Podcast and transcript at the link.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4390

Some say that an early Native American tribe were giant cannibals.

In western Nevada, on the outskirts of the Humboldt Sink, is a small cave. It's hot and dry and isolated, but it wasn't always so. It was once part of enormous Lake Lahontan, a Pleistocene-era lake some 13,000 years ago, and at the time one of North America's largest lakes. But it eventually dried up, leaving a number of smaller lakes, among which was Humboldt Lake. The cave was on its shore, and in it lived a race of natives who hunted and fished and enjoyed a life of plenty. But there's a shocking twist: Research this people, and you'll find that the archaeological and historical evidence tells us they were not common Native Americans. They were the Si-Te-Cah, a race of red-haired giants, ten feet tall, who terrorized their neighbors with cannibalism.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#2    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 5,821 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

So, no Giants huh?   Fun to think about though  ... who doesn't like Giant Cannibals ?

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#3    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

Ok, so like with most myths there was a thread of truth that got added to and became a coat of exaggeration.

#4    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,713 posts

• Redbonz Stumpjumper from the swamps of Shamong

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:02 AM

This is "old news" I have about 6 books from the 70s with the "old" story in it. I also have all Mark Raymond Harrington's old reports debunking it. Harrington (who is cited in the article) wrote several books on the Lenape. He studied my people extensively under the Heye Foundation.

Token Nanticoke
http://woodlandindia...orums/index.php
It takes a certain amount of sophistication to live primitive. Stupid people usually don't survive...............

"There aren't any Indians in New Jersey. Just some inbred ******* that live in the woods."

-Donald Trump

#5    BettyTheYeti

BettyTheYeti

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:27 AM

Vikings.

#6    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,558 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostPiney, on 27 November 2013 - 02:02 AM, said:

This is "old news" I have about 6 books from the 70s with the "old" story in it. I also have all Mark Raymond Harrington's old reports debunking it. Harrington (who is cited in the article) wrote several books on the Lenape. He studied my people extensively under the Heye Foundation.

But thanks to the internet, lots of people believe old, disproven stories.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#7    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,713 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostRafterman, on 27 November 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

But thanks to the internet, lots of people believe old, disproven stories.

Yeahhhh......I repeatedly debunk this in 3 to 5 year cycles....... lots of short term memory on the net.

Token Nanticoke
It takes a certain amount of sophistication to live primitive. Stupid people usually don't survive...............

"There aren't any Indians in New Jersey. Just some inbred ******* that live in the woods."

-Donald Trump

#8    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

Ginger giants.. bet they don't get picked on as much at school?

Posted Image

#9    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,821 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

Here is another thread from not so long ago.

http://www.unexplain...topic=252173

Here is the super-cool link Sakari posted in that thread. Same cave?
http://www.allaround.../lovelock-cave/

Edited by DieChecker, 27 November 2013 - 09:49 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#10    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostRafterman, on 26 November 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Given some of the recent posts about Native American giants, I thought some of you might enjoy this week's Skeptoid episode on the The Red Haird Giants of Lovelock Cave.  I was not familiar with the tale and found it fascinating.  Podcast and transcript at the link.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4390

Some say that an early Native American tribe were giant cannibals.

In western Nevada, on the outskirts of the Humboldt Sink, is a small cave. It's hot and dry and isolated, but it wasn't always so. It was once part of enormous Lake Lahontan, a Pleistocene-era lake some 13,000 years ago, and at the time one of North America's largest lakes. But it eventually dried up, leaving a number of smaller lakes, among which was Humboldt Lake. The cave was on its shore, and in it lived a race of natives who hunted and fished and enjoyed a life of plenty. But there's a shocking twist: Research this people, and you'll find that the archaeological and historical evidence tells us they were not common Native Americans. They were the Si-Te-Cah, a race of red-haired giants, ten feet tall, who terrorized their neighbors with cannibalism.

Interesting article, I like that the author has a lot of references and not just "someone said".

Now, having debunked the Giant Red Headed Cannibals, would you care to do some debunking in the RH Negative Bloodline Nephillim thread?  PLEASE?  I've tried the voice of reason approach... to no avail!!  lol

Edited by Lava_Lady, 27 November 2013 - 10:08 PM.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#11    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,713 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:31 AM

View PostLava_Lady, on 27 November 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

Interesting article, I like that the author has a lot of references and not just "someone said".

Now, having debunked the Giant Red Headed Cannibals, would you care to do some debunking in the RH Negative Bloodline Nephillim thread?  PLEASE?  I've tried the voice of reason approach... to no avail!!  lol

I'M NEPHILLIM! :blink: and here I thought I was a Libra................

Token Nanticoke

-Donald Trump

#12    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostPiney, on 29 November 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

I'M NEPHILLIM! :blink: and here I thought I was a Libra................

Libra Nephilim?

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#13    Piney

Piney

Educated Redskin

• 2,713 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 29 November 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Libra Nephilim?

Taurus Anikim????

Token Nanticoke

-Donald Trump

#14    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

• 1,832 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

View PostPiney, on 29 November 2013 - 05:43 PM, said:

Taurus Anikim????

New conspiracy theory.

#15    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,266 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostLava_Lady, on 29 November 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

Libra Nephilim?

Yes, and we're very special.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users