Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The wolves who made a bid for freedom

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:42 PM

• The timber wolves fled through a damaged fence at Colchester Zoo
  • One immediately returned to the enclosure and one was shot with a dart
  • But two wolves who were further away had to be shot dead
  • The last one that sparked a police hunt in Essex has now been shot
View: Read more

Posted Image

#2    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,430 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

How terrible :(

#3    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,857 posts

• I am becoming increasing allergic to B.S

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

I hate to say this and I will probably get some venom for it but maybe those wolves are better off dead than spending a miserable existence in a glorified pen.
The place they were in didn't look too cozy to me at all and being wild animals I can only imagine the type of confusion they must feel, perhaps sensing in their own being that this world of chain link fences and cages is not how they or any creature should live.

#4    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,500 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

If they caught up with the wolves enough to shoot them, why didn't they use darts on them all and take them back to their enclosure. There was no need to kill them.

Posted Image

#5    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,857 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:32 PM

Still Waters, on 26 November 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

If they caught up with the wolves enough to shoot them, why didn't they use darts on them all and take them back to their enclosure. There was no need to kill them.

I guess in their minds it is easier to kill than to save.

#6    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 39,500 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

Ryu, on 26 November 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

I hate to say this and I will probably get some venom for it but maybe those wolves are better off dead than spending a miserable existence in a glorified pen.
The place they were in didn't look too cozy to me at all and being wild animals I can only imagine the type of confusion they must feel, perhaps sensing in their own being that this world of chain link fences and cages is not how they or any creature should live.
I can see your point, but I don't think killing them was the right thing to do.

If the zoo is keeping wolves at all they need to expand where they house them. I was at a wildlife park two summers ago and they had a huge enclosure built within a forest, there was so much space for the wolves to roam it was hard to spot them. At the time we were there the wolves had not long given birth to cubs and it wasn't the first time they'd had cubs either.

Posted Image

#7    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,857 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:39 PM

Still Waters, on 26 November 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

I can see your point, but I don't think killing them was the right thing to do.

If the zoo is keeping wolves at all they need to expand where they house them. I was at a wildlife park two summers ago and they had a huge enclosure built within a forest, there was so much space for the wolves to roam it was hard to spot them. At the time we were there the wolves had not long given birth to cubs and it wasn't the first time they'd had cubs either.

I know. It's just that when I see these creatures pacing around like dogs in a kennel, I often wonder just what are we doing to them.
Even if they are born into this "prison" I sometimes wonder if they feel somehow that no matter how spacious their prison is, it is still basically a prison.

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 10,198 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

It is going to be hard on those left in the cage, wolf packs are really families. :(   I don't think this zoo should be keeping wolves,  they don't seem to understand them.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#9    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,857 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

GreenmansGod, on 27 November 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

It is going to be hard on those left in the cage, wolf packs are really families. :(   I don't think this zoo should be keeping wolves,  they don't seem to understand them.

Sometimes I think zoo's don't really understand animals much at all beyond what they eat and what their basic mannerisms are.
When I see wolves in zoo's, while interesting, they don't seem much like wolves really. I don't know...it's hard to explain. It's like wolves being made to act like dogs...living in glorified kennels and living a life that humans want them to live, acting like how humans want them to act.

#10    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,368 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:31 AM

GreenmansGod, on 27 November 2013 - 12:14 AM, said:

Now the revenge begins.

Fear not the space behemoth. In my dreams, I have peered beyond it's eye and seen the cackling hell within us all

#11    zebra99

zebra99

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:21 AM

There is no excuse for a hole in the fence.This was wolves, and three poor sods have been shot because of the zoos incompetence.
What if it had been tigers that ripped some kids throats out...those fences should be checked daily and be 100% safe or they shouldn't be allowed to keep anything bigger than hamsters.

Posted Image

#12    Realm

Realm

• 2,187 posts

• "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

Sad thing is people think nothing of the pets they keep. Imagine being a bird kept in a cage the equivalent of a room
that's 15x15x45 till the day you die.

Those that mistake my meekness for weakness, suddenly find themselves destroyed.

#13    Celestae

Celestae

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

I live in the UK and I saw no news reports on this... the pictures show men carrying black bags but I see no wolves... personally I don't believe it.

#14    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

Celestae, on 27 November 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

I live in the UK and I saw no news reports on this... the pictures show men carrying black bags but I see no wolves... personally I don't believe it.

View: BBC News

View: The Telegraph

View: The Express

What is there not t believe... It was on the news last night also.

Posted Image

#15    thyra

thyra

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

Deliberate killing of animals is always sentimental. But actually it is what happens all the time, we eat meat. When it is brought up as an issue in news like that we face that subconscious knowing that we kill to eat and this hurts as well much as the issue at hand.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users