Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Shutting down the Vatican's US Embassy

vatican embassy catholic

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,954 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:21 PM

Seems to be a bit of stretch to say this is an attack on Catholics given that this new Pope is right up Obama's alley -  anti-capitalist, anti-business, pro-social justice, pro-income redistribution, etc. etc.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#17    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,028 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

What's the beef exactly?  How is maintaining two embassies approx 2kms apart of any real use anyway.  It seems a sensible move, people attributing ulterior motives have alot more imagination than anyone at the Vatican - in fact Vatican folk are probably breathing a sigh of relief at the opportunity for some hard to get real estate in their little country.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#18    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,823 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

They do not close the embassy, they just relocate it. And it's not like the old facility was inside the Vatican City, it was somewhere in Rome. So where is the problem?

#19    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,893 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

View PostOverSword, on 27 November 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

This isn't what I'm talking about when I say we need smaller government, that's just an assinine statement.

What are you talking about in the need for smaller government?  Not feeding children, disabled or elderly in need,  cutting education or no health care for those who need it and work jobs that don't provide insurance.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#20    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,206 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

Makes sense to consolidate security and finances. I doubt it was done as a purposeful slap in the face, but I bet they were aware that it would ruffle some feathers.

#21    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,107 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Here is some follow up...
http://www.ncregiste...s-recent-trend/

“Security is our top priority in making this move,” wrote Shawn Casey Nov. 27 on Dipnote, an official State Department site. The new premises, he argued, will be “safer, bigger and architecturally more appealing. It also is slightly closer to Vatican City.”

So, Flombie is totally correct in that the Embassy wasn't even on Vatican grounds anyway.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#22    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,048 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 03 December 2013 - 02:32 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 02 December 2013 - 09:12 PM, said:

So, Flombie is totally correct in that the Embassy wasn't even on Vatican grounds anyway.

I thought I read that there are no embassies on vatican grounds. It's too small.

I mean, the first myth is that embassies from any country to the Vatican are actually in Vatican City. That’s not true. There are no embassies from any country to the Holy See that are actually located within the Vatican City city-state. All embassies of any country are located in the city of Rome. So that’s kind of the first myth out there.
http://www.state.gov...2013/218088.htm

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#23    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

View PostThanato, on 01 December 2013 - 12:05 PM, said:

Umm this appears that they are getting rid of a useless diplomatic post to consolidate it with the Italian embassy as a cost saving measure. You would be grasping at straws to try and frame this as an attack on a religious group.

It's not designed to be an attack on a religious group, but more of a piling on to the hate train of the President.

Also tagged with vatican, embassy, catholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users