Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Discovered - Vital Clue To Buddha's Age

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,172 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

Discovered - Vital Clue To Buddha's Age

Archaeologists digging beneath the sacred Maya Devi Temple at Lumbini have uncovered the first physical evidence to enable them to accurately date the nativity of Prince Siddhartha Gautama whose teachings are now followed by half a billion believers.

The extraordinary find suggests that the very earliest devotees - some 600 years before Christ - were vegetarian and eschewed material wealth in favour of spirituality as laid down by the prince who abandoned his high rank to seek out the path to Enlightenment

http://www.independe...ns-8962817.html

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,779 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

if you look in the archeology forum you will find an ongoing discussion about this.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,298 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:27 AM

yerps ... and its taking up most of my online time too ...

~

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

I think this puts to bed the idea that Buddhism was something started in Asoka's time.  It appears he or others during his time took the original shrine and built over it.  Beyond that it is very hard to read beliefs and so on out of physical archaeological remains.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users