Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

CNN and MSNBC Lose Almost Half Their Viewers

cnn msnbc

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,838 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:29 AM

http://newsbusters.o...iewers-one-year

It's been a tough year for the liberal cable news outlets.

Data released Tuesday show CNN shedding 48 percent of total viewers since last November and MSNBC dropping 45 percent.

The numbers were even worse in the all important demographic of people aged 25 to 54 as CNN's ratings dropped 59 percent and MSNBC's 52 percent.

That is amazing to me, that both news networks would loose half their viewers. Maybe people are just tired of watching negative news all the time.

Fox news is also loosing viewers, but not nearly as bad.

I wonder what people are doing instead?

Myself, I only read the news online. And I only watch Netflix in the evenings. Or I read... you know... paper style books (GASP! I know.... so old school).

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#2    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,789 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:48 AM

Times are changing, people have more ways of getting the news than ever before, and better news coverage than what's available on TV, which is usually 30 second sound bytes. Used to be TV & newspapers & radio where main news sources, I think personal computers & the internet changed that. The networks are going to continue losing viewers if they don't adjust to the new marketplace.

#3    Kipperphoenix

Kipperphoenix

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:55 AM

People aren't watching the news on TV anymore because all they do is talk about politics and sad/depressing news and I think people are getting tired of that. I find that actually going to places like CNN's website is a lot better than their TV channel. Also, people who do internet news shows on places like YouTube are become much more popular now because the videos are usually 10 mins. long, they cover a lot of stories much quicker and the hosts are usually much more personable/likable than the robotic anchors on TV.

#4    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,208 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:00 AM

The internet is the reason.  People are changing the way they watch tv.

However, I do think calling CNN 'liberal' is a bit of a stretch.  They are far more mainstream than that.  MSNBC, however, they certainly fit that bill.

#5    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,686 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:10 AM

internet. TV Is dying I think in general.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#6    njade01

njade01

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 87 posts

• Aaaarrrggghhh, the pressure!!!!!

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:34 AM

IMHO, if you watch the news on CNN, as an example, you are getting your news coloured by the beliefs/agenda/political leanings of the station's owners and managers, as is the case with all news stations. However, if you are getting your news via the internet, then you can get different angles (opposing or contrasting beliefs/agenda/political leanings) on the same story from a multitude of sources, yes, they may all be slanted but somewhere in there are the facts, and the facts enable you to form your own opinions as to what actually happened and why.

For me, this explains, at least the change in MY viewing habits, and perhaps many others.

'I thought your life was supposed to flash before your eyes when you die?'

'It does - it's called living'

God of all things discworld

#7    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,607 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:03 AM

Internet news is just as biased as television news, but because you can quickly get access to so much more of it you get a decent idea of what's going on.

#8    preacherman76

preacherman76

Ntwadumela- He who greets with fire

• 12,650 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

View Postsupervike, on 28 November 2013 - 02:00 AM, said:

The internet is the reason.  People are changing the way they watch tv.

However, I do think calling CNN 'liberal' is a bit of a stretch.  They are far more mainstream than that.  MSNBC, however, they certainly fit that bill.

Thats probably true to some extent. But I dont think the internet is that much more popular then it was just a year ago. I dont think it explains how millions are abandoning main stream TV. I dont know to what extent this is true, but Id like to think people are leaving main stream cause people are waking up to the fact that its state sponcered and has become discredited. Cause as these main stream sources lose ground, alternative news is gaining it, big time.

Also, it probably has to do with the older generations passing away. Folks who were never gonna get a computer, and who watched main stream religiously for decades

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#9    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:28 AM

CNN is easy to explain - Piers Morgan.

Heaven and hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad. But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue. - David Hume

#10    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Baseless Opinionator

• 3,087 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 28 November 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

Thats probably true to some extent. But I dont think the internet is that much more popular then it was just a year ago. I dont think it explains how millions are abandoning main stream TV. I dont know to what extent this is true, but Id like to think people are leaving main stream cause people are waking up to the fact that its state sponcered and has become discredited. Cause as these main stream sources lose ground, alternative news is gaining it, big time.

Also, it probably has to do with the older generations passing away. Folks who were never gonna get a computer, and who watched main stream religiously for decades

It's a combination of all your points, methinks. I believe Canada is up to 30% now for people leaving conventional TV and strictly using online services instead. It's an interesting shift for sure. I myself haven't subscribed to any TV packages for over 3 years now and I don't miss it. I have a small PC I built just to sit under my flatscreen and stream content. No commercials, no waiting; it's fantstic.

As my generation, "the internet generation", gets older and finds places of their own, I fully expect that the trend will continue.

One thing's for sure, long gone are the days when our news about the world came from a handful of broadcasters. It's much harder to control someone's point of view when they can instantly access a thousand other media outlets - and that is a big part of why there is such a shift in global consciouness...

"For God doth know that in the day ye eat [the fruit] thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."

"The tragedy of humanity is that we have stone age instincts, medieval institutions and god-like powers."

#11    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

• I'm baaaaaack

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:53 PM

I don't watch the national news at all, on any station., only watch the local stuff, usually for traffic reports, and most of the time I only watch the first ten to fifteen minutes of that.   Granted I do not watch much TV at all  .  most of my free time is web related.  there isn't ship to watch any more.
  Television died when infomercials and  reality TV  appeared on the scene.

#12    Controller Junkie

Controller Junkie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• HUGGLEMONSTER

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

People are tired of being fed the B.S. that is main stream media. More and more people are seeing that basically they create  and contol the so called "news". And the powers that be  use it (media and certain news outlets) as means to control and manipulate. For example say they wanted an area for whatever reason cleared out but had to be incognito, say it was an area of ocean or beach. A sudden news story about toxic waste in the water, or report of increase in killer shark attacks,, and so on and so on. You get the point, the hidden hand uses the networks and other outlets as a pawn to control and herd the masses People are choosing where to get there news and are also doing research into what is considered news to them and not solely relying on these netwroks, which has showed them that these networks lie ,bend ,create ,fabricate, and omit what the news is to get the result they want , In my opinion.   I know paranoid  right. I hope im wrong, but dont think I am.

Perception is reality, but if reality is only ones perception, then just what is Reality...Hmm

#13    CyberKen

CyberKen

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostController Junkie, on 29 November 2013 - 09:11 PM, said:

People are tired of being fed the B.S. that is main stream media. More and more people are seeing that basically they create  and contol the so called "news". And the powers that be  use it (media and certain news outlets) as means to control and manipulate. For example say they wanted an area for whatever reason cleared out but had to be incognito, say it was an area of ocean or beach. A sudden news story about toxic waste in the water, or report of increase in killer shark attacks,, and so on and so on. You get the point, the hidden hand uses the networks and other outlets as a pawn to control and herd the masses People are choosing where to get there news and are also doing research into what is considered news to them and not solely relying on these netwroks, which has showed them that these networks lie ,bend ,create ,fabricate, and omit what the news is to get the result they want , In my opinion.   I know paranoid  right. I hope im wrong, but dont think I am.

Everybody is running to Fox News.

Ratings are up for The Five, The Factor - O'Reilly - Megyn Kelly. :tu:

#14    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,998 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

I think people are loosing confidence in the major outlets.    The major stories are little more than repeating  'official'  released statements.  

Then the news personalities and their guests  yak about it this way and that .   Then they cover a Zoo incident or a Celebrity mishap  and  try to entertain us in various ways as they bore us into searching for some real news  someplace else.

If i want entertainment, i'll watch a movie or something.. not the news.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#15    Almagest

Almagest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:59 AM

What particularly bugs me is when they have a segment commenting on a certain persons controversial statements, without going into any detail whatsoever about what the statement was. It's the News not the Opinions.

Heaven and hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad. But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue. - David Hume

Also tagged with cnn, msnbc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users