Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Can plants grow on the moon?

moon nasa google lunar x-prize

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,174 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:47 AM

Can plants grow on the moon? NASA plans test in 2015

phys.org said:

(Phys.org) óNASA is planning to launch a milestone experiment involving growing plants on the moon. The target date is 2015, when the agency will deposit plants on the moon's surface. The initiative is being driven by the Lunar Plant Growth Habitat team. They intend to use coffee-can sized containers designed to protect the plants against harsh elements of the climate, and will also provide cameras, sensors, and electronics in order to relay information about how the plants fare back to earth. NASA's plan is "to develop a very simple sealed growth chamber that can support germination over a five to-ten day period in a spacecraft on the Moon."

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,672 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:52 AM

They grow on the Space Station, so they should grow on the Moon too. I suppose it will be watering them that will be an issue, like in the ISS.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,174 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:19 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 28 November 2013 - 04:52 AM, said:

They grow on the Space Station, so they should grow on the Moon too.
Really! On the space station they aren't exposed to 2 weeks of day light followed by 2 weeks of night.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,579 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:21 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 28 November 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

Really! On the space station they aren't exposed to 2 weeks of day light followed by 2 weeks of night.

Nor an ungodly amount of radiation, and the overall cruel vacuum of space.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#5    Realm

Realm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,055 posts

• "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:42 AM

This is why it's called science I suppose. Never know till we try.

Those that mistake my meekness for weakness, suddenly find themselves destroyed.

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,174 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:00 AM

View PostDecoNoir, on 28 November 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

Nor an ungodly amount of radiation, and the overall cruel vacuum of space.

I very much doubt that the plants will be exposed to the vacuum of space, there is no point carrying out an experiment to see if plants can survive in conditions that you know they can't.

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    DecoNoir

DecoNoir

The Entertainer

• 2,579 posts

• ... The Aristocrats.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:43 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 28 November 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

I very much doubt that the plants will be exposed to the vacuum of space, there is no point carrying out an experiment to see if plants can survive in conditions that you know they can't.

Well those pesky micro meteorites might have something to say about that...

I reject your reality, and substitute my own! Mostly because yours is boring as hell.

#8    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• 1,683 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:51 AM

If they grew enough cactus it would transform the moon into the wild west.

#9    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,182 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 28 November 2013 - 04:52 AM, said:

I suppose it will be watering them that will be an issue,

"The idea, according to the space scientists, is “to develop a very simple sealed growth chamber that can support germination over a five-10 day period in a spacecraft on the moon,” with filter paper used to feed dissolved nutrients to the plant".

The habitats will have to regulate their own water consumption, temperature and power supply.

“Upon landing on the moon a trigger would release a small reservoir of water wetting the filter paper and initiating germination of the seeds. The air in the sealed container would be adequate for more than five days of growth. No additional air supply or air processing would be necessary. The seedlings would be photographed at intervals with sufficient resolution to compare with growth in Earth controls. We would use the natural sunlight on the moon as the source of illumination for plant germination as a first ISRU (in situ resource utilization) demonstration,” the scientists reported on the space agency’s website.

http://rt.com/news/n...lants-moon-420/

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#10    Peter B

Peter B

Psychic Spy

• 1,331 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:51 AM

I have a vague memory that scientists have successfully grown plants in lunar soil - either actual material returned to Earth on an Apollo mission or a closely matching simulant. However I'll leave it to the experts to determine whether it'd be better to grow plants hydroponically or in lunar soil. I suspect the former, given that grains of lunar soil are extremely rough and abrasive.

#11    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 10,182 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

View PostPeter B, on 28 November 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

I have a vague memory that scientists have successfully grown plants in lunar soil - either actual material returned to Earth on an Apollo mission or a closely matching simulant. However I'll leave it to the experts to determine whether it'd be better to grow plants hydroponically or in lunar soil. I suspect the former, given that grains of lunar soil are extremely rough and abrasive.

Yes I think hydroponics is the  way to go...heres  a page on plants grown on the ISS

http://news.national...tation-science/

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#12    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,373 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

View Posttaniwha, on 28 November 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

If they grew enough cactus it would transform the moon into the wild west.
And enough rice and bananas and coconuts and we could all live there.

#13    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,767 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:09 PM

Try the Moonflower Vine (Calonyction aculeatum) it grows like a weed on Earth!

#14    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,492 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

Look what happened with the Biosphere experiments . Lot's of money to prove it wouldn't work .

The world can't end in 2012, I have a yogurt that expires in 2013.

#15    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,767 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:50 AM

View PostROGER, on 28 November 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

Look what happened with the Biosphere experiments . Lot's of money to prove it wouldn't work .

It's hard to put a planet's ecosystem in a bottle. Even if it had worked flawlessly, it's another matter to transport all that water/soil/biomass to space and achieve the same results. If you ever saw "Silent Running" it was a nice idea, but not necessarily practical.

Also tagged with moon, nasa, google lunar x-prize

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users