Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

250 mile-wide solar panel belt around Moon

shimizu corp solar panel belt moon

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 36,932 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:22 PM

A Japanese construction firm is proposing to solve the well-documented energy problems facing Japan - and ultimately the entire planet - by turning the moon into a colossal solar power plant.

Tokyo-based Shimizu Corp. wants to lay a belt of solar panels 250 miles wide around the equator of our closest neighbour and then relay the constant supply of energy to "receiving stations" on Earth by way of lasers or microwave transmission.

http://www.telegraph...round-Moon.html

Posted Image

#2    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,027 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:32 PM

It's about time

#3    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

Don't mess with the Moon, man.

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#4    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• 1,347 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

Kind of a silly plan.

#5    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,027 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostRazer, on 28 November 2013 - 04:58 PM, said:

Kind of a silly plan.
Silly in what way?

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,545 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

My concern is - that with plans like this, the world will start bickering about who does what on the moon.... if only humans could take such power and make it free for all of us...

Pipe dream I know   sigh

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#7    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,441 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

This.....is awesome!

Posted Image

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#8    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 2,147 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:17 PM

The idea itself isn´t unsexy. But since the Fukushima desaster I have very little confidence in japaneese engineer skills, especially in connection to machines that procude more than 200KW. As per SHIMIZU homepage, the energy tranfer to earth will be processed by laser + microwaves. So in case of failure the chance is given, that these waves will burn some nice hot stripes across the planets surface. ("Solly fol that, we will pay, we will pay!")

"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"Don't kill the golden goose." - Malcolm McLaren -
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -
"I will give you my finest hour, oh yeah!" - Blondie -

#9    Calle

Calle

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 65 posts

• Everyone but few seeks Perfection, the few that does not seek it knows that perfection is impossible, because perfection is unachievable

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:55 PM

cool idea, but the prices to get all that up there is allot.

#10    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

Yeah, I know it's just a proposal, and most proposal's go no-where off the "drawing board"

But to comment on it anyway...

I think the cost alone would be "astronomical", given the scale of their proposal.

And, as already pointed-out here by toast, the danger's of having such a high-powered energy transfer torwards Earth likely would not sit well with many people.

Also, for such a massive moon-project, I assume the U.N. would have to approve it, which I find highly unlikely.

Edited by pallidin, 28 November 2013 - 11:13 PM.

#11    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,027 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:42 PM

Are there any international treaties regarding exploitation of the moon or is it first come first serve?

Edited by spacecowboy342, 28 November 2013 - 11:42 PM.

#12    ExoPaul

ExoPaul

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:13 PM

Are though there was international law that states anyone can explore the moon but no government can lay claim to it! If Japan were to build this then would that not contradict international law?
I think this has more success going for it if it was a private company or group of companies who created it for ALL the worlds needs rather than an individual government. The fact is that with so many wars and superiority created over a few million barrels of oil..... imagine the power a single nation could wield if it owned ALL the energy that could power the entire planet! Japan would become the biggest and richest super-nation on the planet!

I would rather that we had greedy corporations like Apple, Facebook, Google, Nike, etc all come together and develop the technology and make it happen than to allow a single nation all that power. That way it will only be our pockets that are hit for energy needs, and not our borders and soldiers!

#13    nothinglizx2

nothinglizx2

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Why are they worrying about that right now?  Theres no reason to even think about planning that.  By then new technology will exist that will make this thing redundant.  But they already know that, so why even come out to the public with this crap.

#14    The Black Ghost

The Black Ghost

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:12 PM

Japan has a history of making huge construction plans and not following through... I don't see this as anything more than science fiction until we have the technology to actually get back to the moon...

#15    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,027 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostThe Black Ghost, on 30 November 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

Japan has a history of making huge construction plans and not following through... I don't see this as anything more than science fiction until we have the technology to actually get back to the moon...
If we could get to the moon in 1969 I'm pretty sure our technology would get us there now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users