Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

ok what is it

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• Thought of the day

'Never slam dance while priming plastic explosives'

D.R Dodds

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:46 PM

ok this is taken from one of the storm chasing groups over here in Oz and was posted up on their facebook page

"So what is it???
Experienced photographer Netti Schimke captured this "unknown" tonight from Toogoolawah in SEQLD looking towards Esk @ around 8:15pm. Her camera was very much skywards with no lights or reflections in the area. It seems we can rule out suspicions such as a meteor and plane ect (moving objects) due to the fact the camera was exposed or open for 30 seconds. Another exposure was taken straight after with no similar features.
Very interesting! ~ Jeff ~"

rather interesting.. I thought it might have been a sprite..

Attached Thumbnails

• 1471160_536134949815630_902818406_n.jpg

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,273 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:55 PM

Its dark, and any experienced photographer will know that in the dark it could be anything.
It is impossible to say what it is as we do not really know the distance or exact height.
And those little white dots on the screen are not stars, you can actually see the faint boxes round them where they have been added for effect, while she was signing her name on it.
Sorry, but fake stars and signature does not convince me this is anything special.

#3    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

What makes you think the stars are fake?

edit: Oh, I cherry picked what I wanted to read.

I don't see the faint boxes.

Edited by _Only, 30 November 2013 - 12:02 AM.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,273 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:05 AM

View Post_Only, on 30 November 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

What makes you think the stars are fake?

edit: Oh, I cherry picked what I wanted to read.

I don't see the faint boxes.
If you look at the white "dots" closely, there is a faint box round them and some are exactly the same, slightly elongated shape.

#5    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 4,495 posts

• If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

If the stars are supposedly fake then there doesn't seem to be any reason to think the "photo" is real either.
Also..what sort of "experienced" photographer is going to take a photo of something "unusual" then plaster their name in huge letters in the image?

P.S: I can see the faint boxes too but assuming for the moment the image is real (which I am not sure it is) could the boxes be a result of the image being taken by a digital camera?

#6    taniwha

taniwha

Hi. If im an idiot, then im an idiot for truth.

• 1,910 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:26 AM

:santa: ?

" Where does yesterday go to? Where does tomorrow come from? Is not the universe the proginetor of space and time? "
                                                                        **Time-machine Universe**
                                                            http://www.unexplain...howtopic=286269

#7    DingoLingo

DingoLingo

Psychic Spy

• 1,503 posts

• Thought of the day

'Never slam dance while priming plastic explosives'

D.R Dodds

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:28 AM

actually she is a storm chaser photographer from over here in qld.. this is what makes me think it could be a photo of sprites then anything else.. we have had some rather interesting storms roll through here the past few days..

they have been ruling out sats.. meteors that kind of deal.. due to it being a 30 second exposure..

#8    Kahn

Kahn

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

• Ignorance is no substitute for intelligence.

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:46 AM

Unfortunately having the name overlayed upon the photo doesn't help as there can no doubt it has been manipulated, if only to overlay the text.  I would be interested in how the camera was stabilized as it appears the "stars" wobbled a bit, leaving ghost "halos" to the lower right of each.  Interestingly, the object in question does not exhibit the same ghosting.  This leaves one of two possibilities, either the object was overlayed on the photo, or the object emitted light for a short period of time (as lightning would).

#9    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,124 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:09 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 30 November 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

If you look at the white "dots" closely, there is a faint box round them and some are exactly the same, slightly elongated shape.

Good catch!

#10    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,124 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:10 AM

I was going to say perhaps a sprite but they are damn difficult to photograph.   The stars do have those consistent outlines that suggest a copy paste operation.

#11    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 5,325 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:19 AM

Dingo, there's several things not right with that image, and I want to see:
- the original, without any processing (a crop including several stars would do, but it needs to have the exif intact..)
- the other exposure taken the same way..

Those 'stars' do not look at all like real stars - from a 30 second exposure there should be many many more of varying brightnesses, plus they should show slight trails, not weird haloes that look more like compression artefacts (of which there are many - it's a very poor quality image and I think those faint boxes come from that excessive compression). The spots might even be hot pixels from a low-quality or worn out sensor..

Let us know if anything more useful surfaces..

There are answers out there, and they won't be found by people sitting around looking serious and saying 'Isn't life mysterious?' - Tim Minchin ('Storm')
My garden is already magical and beyond beautiful - I do not need to invent fairies... - me
The truth ONLY hurts when it slaps you in the face after you haven't done proper homework and made silly claims... - me

#12    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,124 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:23 AM

View PostChrLzs, on 30 November 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

Dingo, there's several things not right with that image, and I want to see:
- the original, without any processing (a crop including several stars would do, but it needs to have the exif intact..)
- the other exposure taken the same way..

Those 'stars' do not look at all like real stars - from a 30 second exposure there should be many many more of varying brightnesses, plus they should show slight trails, not weird haloes that look more like compression artefacts (of which there are many - it's a very poor quality image and I think those faint boxes come from that excessive compression). The spots might even be hot pixels from a low-quality or worn out sensor..

Let us know if anything more useful surfaces..

Yeah, they could be artifacts. That would explain the repeating geometric pattern.

#13    coolguy

coolguy

Poltergeist

• 2,393 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:58 AM

Great picture could be a ufo

#14    jules99

jules99

Psychic Spy

• 1,100 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

The stars do appear elongated which is in line with the exposure time. Few stars could be due to longer summer days and dark occurring later.
Ive read reports of a possible QLD meteor sighting, heading south to north on the local au astronomy site, Ice in Space..

http://www.iceinspac...ad.php?t=114803

#15    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,122 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

Ive just enlarged and enhanced it for you

Posted Image

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users