Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Major biological discovery…inside the Chernob

chernobyl fungi

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1    tipsy_munchkin

tipsy_munchkin

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

• We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
    Plato

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

There has been an exciting new biological discovery inside the tomb of the Chernobyl reactor. Like out of some B-grade sci fi movie, a robot sent into the reactor discovered a thick coat of black slime growing on the walls. Since it is highly radioactive in there, scientists didn’t expect to find anything living, let alone thriving. The robot was instructed to obtain samples of the slime, which it did, and upon examination…the slime was even more amazing than was thought at first glance.
This slime, a collection of several fungi actually, was more than just surviving in a radioactive environment, it was actually using gamma radiation as a food source. Samples of these fungi grew significantly faster when exposed to gamma radiation at 500 times the normal background radiation level. The fungi appear to use melanin, a chemical found in human skin as well, in the same fashion as plants use chlorophyll. That is to say, the melanin molecule gets struck by a gamma ray and its chemistry is altered. This is an amazing discovery, no one had even suspected that something like this was possible.

https://unitedcats.w...rnobyl-reactor/
Couldn't find this in a search. Hope its in the right place. Not certain of the source articles reputation but I am sure more information can be found.

*     I'm pink therefore i'm spam     *

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,211 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

Don't make it angry, you won't like I when it's angry.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#3    Shiloh17

Shiloh17

The Last.

• Closed
  • 2,584 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

Life is pretty amazing. There are microbes that live in Jet fuel. Now something like this is amazing too. Goes to show you
we might find life on planets that we might not expect to.

Also tagged with chernobyl, fungi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users