Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Camera that sees through fog

ramesh raskar nano-camera fog

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,951 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Driving through fog can be tricky even for the best human driver. But a new camera could help vehicles navigate through tough weather on their own.

http://www.newscient...ml#.Upnjjieg4dU

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,632 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

Sounds pretty good, but can see some using this and reverting to the "safe cos it tells me so" and putting their foot down when they should in fact not be driving at all in it.
For the rescue services this would be ideal.
But I can see the boy racers taking advantage of this, and this can only increase risks for all out there.

As the article says, best human drivers, but not all are best, best humans or best drivers, but if they get hold of one of these, well, I darn`t want to think how they will drive then.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#3    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,913 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:28 PM

Very cool. I could have used something like that when twice I suddendly ran into heavy fog. Couldn't see 10 feet in front of me at all.

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 8,632 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

View Postpallidin, on 30 November 2013 - 06:28 PM, said:

Very cool. I could have used something like that when twice I suddendly ran into heavy fog. Couldn't see 10 feet in front of me at all.
This is what I do not get, if you have one, but the guy in front of you or behind you does not, how safe it that? You may see the guy in front stop so you can stop, but the guy behind you is none the wiser.
This could be good and I am sure more developments will come out of this, maybe.
My point is this, in thick fog, people should slow down and I feel that some with this camera will not, they will see the car ahead and think it possible to overtake, not wise when there are other cars who can not see you.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    aztek

aztek

Telekinetic

• 7,404 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

FLIRs  are already in use by luxury car makers, they see in fog\rain\dust storm... etc.  caddy, mb and bmw use them for years now, i had caddy deville with such camera, awesome stuff.

RESIDENT TROLL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users