Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Amazon.. Parcel delivery by drone

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,118 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:43 AM

Amazon announces delivery by DRONE: Online retailer claims airborne robots will bring packages to your door in 30 minutes

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos has announced the online retailer has secretly been testing drones that will delivery packages directly to people's doors

Project is at least five years from reality due to still-to-be-determined FAA regulations

The operation has been under development at a special lab in Seattle for some time

Bezos says they hope the 'octopters' will be fully operational in 'four to five years', with approval from the US Federal Aviation Authority being seen as the biggest hurdle

The company maintain that 'although it looks like science fiction, it is not'
The announcement has been met with a variety of criticism online

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2mIypwKGU

More jobs lost then...

Edited by seeder, 02 December 2013 - 08:44 AM.

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,607 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:23 AM

I don't know, this seems like a really expensive shipping method.  I'm sure the slower and cheaper ones will still be around for some time.

#3    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,404 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

View Postseeder, on 02 December 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

More jobs lost then...

I dont think so because not every lousy parchel will be delivered by air and the drones must be operated somehow.
But one is for sure. Clay-pigeon shooting will become much popular, but without clay-pigeons.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#4    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,126 posts

• Vampires are people too.

yes, i was just looking at this. I'm really not sure about the from a health & safety point of view. They say that Bezos said that the octocoptors would be autonomous so would not need a pilot to guide them, but that would seem to be a whole new can of fish or kettle of worms, wouldn't it. Autonomous robots buzzing about in the skies over cities in their thousands? It all sounds decidedly risky, if you ask me.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh, 02 December 2013 - 09:28 AM.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#5    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,126 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

Although the Amazon chappie does says that if it does come off, it might reduce traffic & emissions, which is something worth thinking about, perhaps.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#6    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 02 December 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

Although the Amazon chappie does says that if it does come off, it might reduce traffic & emissions, which is something worth thinking about, perhaps.
but then you have lots of low level flying traffic, what happens if they have to cross an airport or base? or if the weather is bad?

#7    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:30 AM

I would say probably you avoid airports and don't deliver on bad weather days.

#8    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,118 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

I dont think it will get licensed, not in the  UK anyway...  it may open the door to UK based terrorism

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#9    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

View Postseeder, on 02 December 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

I dont think it will get licensed, not in the  UK anyway...  it may open the door to UK based terrorism
they can still do that with or without a license, using RC planes or RC cars. Though people will moan about it "Its scaring the birds" etc

#10    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 02 December 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

they can still do that with or without a license, using RC planes or RC cars. Though people will moan about it "Its scaring the birds" etc
No doubt killing a few birds, hopefully starlings.

#11    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,126 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

View PostFrank Merton, on 02 December 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

I would say probably you avoid airports and don't deliver on bad weather days.
oh dear, imagine the problems with backlogs over Christmas or Thanksgiving or whatever...

- Philip K. Dick.

#12    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,118 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 02 December 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

oh dear, imagine the problems with backlogs over Christmas or Thanksgiving or whatever...

And will they send a  drone to collect it if the item isnt suitable  :lol:

#13    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 5,404 posts

• Let there be Ziggy

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 02 December 2013 - 11:03 AM, said:

they can still do that with or without a license, using RC planes (...)

You are wrong :

Check FAQ : Do I need to get approval from the FAA to fly a model aircraft for recreation?

FAA :No. FAA guidance does not address size of the model aircraft. FAA guidance says that model aircraft flights should be kept below 400 feet above ground level (AGL), should be flown a sufficient distance from populated areas and full scale aircraft, and are not for business purposes.

http://www.faa.gov/a...as/uas_faq/#Qn1

Edited by toast, 02 December 2013 - 11:30 AM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#14    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 02 December 2013 - 11:09 AM, said:

No change from now.

#15    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

I do worry about all this technology replacing people.  If computers and machines do all the work, who is going to be able to make any money to buy stuff?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users