Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Hand over your friends for drink driving

intoxicated drivers drink driving friends revellers rewarded

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,367 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

Revellers are being offered up to £200 to report their friends who drink and drive this Christmas.

Police have announced the move in a crackdown on intoxicated drivers who get behind the wheel.

Anyone who reports their friends will be rewarded up to £200 if they're eventually charged and prosecuted.

http://www.telegraph...Police-say.html

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,306 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

NO WAY, true friends would not let them drive in the first place and take their keys off them, not only for their safety, but the safety of others.

If anyone is prepared to allow them to get into a car THEN call the police, then they are just as bad as them.

IMO

Edited by freetoroam, 02 December 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

Instead of turning a friend in why not give them a ride or let them spend the night.

#4    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,766 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostHilander, on 02 December 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Instead of turning a friend in why not give them a ride or let them spend the night.
My guess is it's because the impaired driver is too impaired to realize they are impaired.  Most drunks simply won't allow someone else to drive them.  But the offer must be made.  I agree that if someone drinks with or allows someone to drink with them at their home they are just as responsible morally if another innocent is killed or maimed by the drunk.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#5    dannyboy52

dannyboy52

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 130 posts

• You Can Fool Some People All Of The Time,And All Of The People Some Of The Time, But You Cant Fool All Of The People All Of The Time

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:04 PM

View Postand then, on 02 December 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

My guess is it's because the impaired driver is too impaired to realize they are impaired.  Most drunks simply won't allow someone else to drive them.  But the offer must be made.  I agree that if someone drinks with or allows someone to drink with them at their home they are just as responsible morally if another innocent is killed or maimed by the drunk.
Must admit it's hard to talk sense to a drunk, and I've been on both sides of the conversation! It's hard to turn a friend in, but if it saves an accident from happening then it's the only way. Of course the easy answer is designated driver or a taxi.

#6    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,306 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

The thing is, you can not turn them in if they have not got into the car, cos the police will not do anything, so letting then drive, risking themselves and others, seems to be the worse option, and yet this is what they want people to do....allow them to drive, then they nick them....hopefully before they kill someone.
I would rather, with the help of others, if need be, NOT let them put the keys into the ignition in the first place.

All we ask of the police, is not money, but not to be arrested ourselves if we have to tie our friend up to save his life.

Saying that, I guess there will be many out there who will love the extra 200 over the xmas period, just reporting a drunk driver should bring in the calls. If i see a drunk driver and he was not a friend of mine, would I call the police, yep, sure would.  Posted Image

#7    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,367 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

The trouble is those doing the reporting could also be drunk themselves, and not exactly thinking straight about what the best options are. I imagine there'll be a few broken friendships as a result of this new 'incentive'.

Posted Image

#8    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,612 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

shouldn't  cops have sufficient evidence\proof, that someone actually was driving drunk, as opposed to someone accusing them to do so? for all we know ppl will report on someone they don't like just to get them in trobble.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#9    TSS

TSS

Observer

• Closed
  • 5,750 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 05:07 PM

View Postaztek, on 02 December 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

shouldn't  cops have sufficient evidence\proof, that someone actually was driving drunk, as opposed to someone accusing them to do so? for all we know ppl will report on someone they don't like just to get them in trobble.

They will, they are just asking that if you know someone is drunk and has got in a car then a simple call saying "a car with the registration **** *** is heading down whatever road with a drunk driver"...then they look out for it, pull it over and test them.

Edited by Sky Scanner, 02 December 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 10,306 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

View Postaztek, on 02 December 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

They will pull over the car if reported and do the tests, exactly as Sky Scanner has said. If the person is not drunk, off they go, if they are, then, liked or not liked by the reporter, they get what they deserve, hopefully they are caught in time before they can do any damage to some innocent persons life.
No drunk, no trouble.

#11    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostStill Waters, on 02 December 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

Revellers are being offered up to £200 to report their friends who drink and drive this Christmas.

Police have announced the move in a crackdown on intoxicated drivers who get behind the wheel.

Anyone who reports their friends will be rewarded up to £200 if they're eventually charged and prosecuted.

http://www.telegraph...Police-say.html

Kinda hope we start doing this in America.

Ill get people drunk, and make them drive just to collect.

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#12    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,167 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

Can't "grass" on your mates but you can disable the car.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#13    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,951 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

View Postfreetoroam, on 02 December 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

NO WAY, true friends would not let them drive in the first place and take their keys off them, not only for their safety, but the safety of others.

If anyone is prepared to allow them to get into a car THEN call the police, then they are just as bad as them.

IMO

a few years ago now, we had a works night out a mate had one to many (he was only going to have one and then get off)  but - to our surprise he tried to drive home. we tried to take the keys off him, i dont drink so i even offered to drive him home. ( i was the designated driver) but he was having none of it, he turned a bit violent so he jumped in his car and was sat there for about 5 mins, so we went over to talk him out of it, at that point he started the engine and drove off. i knew the route he'd take and phoned the police. who i have to say arrived quick, he'd gone less than a mile when the police turned up, (they appeared at the roundabout) but with my mate being drunk, when he spotted the police car he tried to play it cool, and in doing so went the wrong way around the rounadbout knocking down the arrow sign/light on the roundabout, still trying to play it cool and front bumper half hanging off tried to disguise himself by trying to drive into someones drive way - like he lived there - in doing he misjudged the gap and hit the garden gate post, stalled the car and got out at that point the police moved in.

Banned for 2 years and got points, to this day he still doesn't know it was us who phoned the police. we told him it was most probably a taxi driver. :tu: matters could have been worse - he resisted arrest and had a scuffle with the police, he was also arrested for assaulting a police officer, but the copper visited him before he clocked off and told him he'd drop the assault charge. :innocent:  for the record he was ashamed and couldn't hardly remember any of it. - we still take the p*** out of him, its our works Christmas night out next Friday 13th. he's going, but definitely not bringing his car. :tu:

edit to add, luckily the roads were empty and all happened at a low speed about 20mph.

Edited by stevewinn, 03 December 2013 - 11:33 AM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#14    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,167 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

Yep Steve point taken,but you could have saved all the hassle and your mate being "done", all it takes is a wet handkerchief or a sock stuffed into the exhaust pipe and the car wont start, if your mate was sloshed he wouldn't be aware that this had been done,and you could have got him home safely.The hanky could be removed later with a bent wire.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#15    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

View PostHilander, on 02 December 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

Which reminds me... I need to get more girl friends :innocent: :whistle:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users