Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Subtle Signals of Water on Hazy Worlds

exoplanets atmosphere water hubble

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,599 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

Hubble Traces Subtle Signals of Water on Hazy Worlds

www.nasa.gov said:

Using the powerful­ eye of NASA's Hubble Space Telescope, two teams of scientists have found faint signatures of water in the atmospheres of five distant planets.

The presence of atmospheric water was reported previously on a few exoplanets orbiting stars beyond our solar system, but this is the first study to conclusively measure and compare the profiles and intensities of these signatures on multiple worlds.  

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,599 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

NASA | Alien Atmospheres

Since the early 1990's, astronomers have known that extrasolar planets, or "exoplanets," orbit stars light-years beyond our own solar system. Although most exoplanets are too distant to be directly imaged, detailed studies have been made of their size, composition, and even atmospheric makeup - but how? By observing periodic variations in the parent star's brightness and color, astronomers can indirectly determine an exoplanet's distance from its star, its size, and its mass. But to truly understand an exoplanet astronomers must study its atmosphere, and they do so by splitting apart the parent star's light during a planetary transit.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    margiel

margiel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

Too hot for life, but not so hot that the water has been boiled away?

#4    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,758 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:31 PM

View Postmargiel, on 05 December 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

Too hot for life, but not so hot that the water has been boiled away?

They havent found liquid water (how could they?) ,... the H2O they detected is high up in the atmosphere of the planet.

Edited by Hazzard, 05 December 2013 - 05:32 PM.

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#5    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sapere aude

• 2,904 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostHazzard, on 05 December 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

They havent found liquid water (how could they?) ,... the H2O they detected is high up in the atmosphere of the planet.
Shouldn't they better call it water vapor then? I know, H2O refers to this as well, but simply saying water always refers to the liquid state. It is misleading, if you ask me.

#6    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,599 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 05 December 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

Shouldn't they better call it water vapor then? I know, H2O refers to this as well, but simply saying water always refers to the liquid state. It is misleading, if you ask me.
Why do people always blame the article as misleading when they have leaped to the wrong conclusion?

The article states that water was found in the atmosphere, which means it MUST be in the form of vapour.

Nothing misleading if you take the time to read what was actually said.

Posted Image
Click on button

#7    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:08 PM

I'm always amazed when I read about findings like this... sometimes I can't even find my car keys while I'm driving and the Hubble telescope has found water in the atmosphere in distances I can't even comprehend!

Amazing.

#8    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

I agree with Lava Lady.  It's all so fascinating to me.  Perhaps there is the possibility that someday when they are examining a planet someone will kind of wave into the camera to let us know they exist.  At least, I would like to think so.

#9    highdesert50

highdesert50

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 02:16 AM

Remarkable how a telescope with flawed mirrors, multiple mission repairs, and continued mechanical degradation from long use, has made such amazing discoveries and brought renewed public interest in the space program. Let us hope there will be no delays nor funding loss for the upcoming replacement, James Webb telescope.

#10    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:11 AM

Where there is water there is life

#11    WelshRed

WelshRed

Alien Embryo

• Pip