Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Lawsuits Could Turn Chimps Into Legal Persons

lawsuits chimpanzees legal persons nonhuman rights project nhrp

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,701 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

This morning, an animal rights group known as the Nonhuman Rights Project (NhRP) filed a lawsuit in a New York Supreme Court in an attempt to get a judge to declare that chimpanzees are legal persons and should be freed from captivity. The suit is the first of three to be filed in three New York counties this week. They target two research chimps at Stony Brook University and two chimps on private property, and are the opening salvo in a coordinated effort to grant "legal personhood" to a variety of animals across the United States.

http://news.sciencem...l-persons?rss=1

Posted Image

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,691 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

POPULAR

If souless corporations can be counted as legal persons then why not chimps?

#3    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,456 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

I really hate how animals get abused but the reality is we have to experiment on something. mice monkeys etc. Its sad but I honestly see no way around it :no: . I know this isn't specifically related to the article but I feel like counting them as legal persons would make it hard to experiment on them.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#4    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,677 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

Initially the title seems to indicate "another loony idea" but after reading the article, it is not the case at all.
NO animal should be used as research, whether they are cognitively advanced or not.
If they are asking for chimps and dolphins to be released, they should be including all animals.
BUT although I am fully against animals being used in research, as for zoos, it is not quite the same case. Some animals have been saved because of the zoos, saved from being wiped out by man.
Research purposes, we have no right to use animals when we have mass murders and child rapists who would be much more suitable and deserve to be tested on well before an innocent animal.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#5    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Before enlightenment peel the potatoes, after enlightenment, peel the potatoes.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

Legal persons? Do they need to start paying tax? When they kill another chimp in the wild, do they then go to jail?

I do not agree with all the things we do to animals too, but making them a Legal person is going to far? Not because of superiority or anything, for the fact that when you are a legal person, you must abid by the laws, and can you see them doing this?

May be the legal person thing is expanded in the article, which I have not fully read.

Posted Image

#6    Duchess Gummybuns

Duchess Gummybuns

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 117 posts

• I would like to believe, but the Government covers it up as a weather balloon.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

Well, the government is run by monkeys, anyway...

#7    gatekeeper32

gatekeeper32

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

I would not want to be in that court when the sh** starts flying.

#8    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,501 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

I agree with not using them for research, but what are we going to do with all the captive chimps we have now.  You can't just turn them loose, they don't know how to live in the wild and they can't live in our society. There are a lot of animals that are sentient like elephants, whales etc what do we do about them?

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#9    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,288 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:16 PM

Maybe we should include all these creatures as persons, so we can enforce that they buy health insurance. Maybe if they are persons, humans would start getting married to them?

Seriously though I wouldn't advocate for Full Rights (Such as voting, gun ownership....), but I'd support not using the smartest of animals for research purposes and exploitive entertainment.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#10    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

I don't think giving any other life form legal person status is a good idea, just because of the "legal" part, what does that mean, what kind of silliness can happen in courts.  But I think bringing that up is a good idea just to raise attention on how we should treat other species on this planet.

#11    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:09 PM

Well if they got their way, that would mean nobody could have pets.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#12    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,456 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:17 PM

For the people who don't want to use chimps as research. Is it only chimps or do you count all animals? and if all animals then how are we going to conduct experiments?

Its messed up but really if we didn't conduct research on animals it would put science progress back a lot. Because there is really no other way to do it. Even only banning chimps would slow things down.

I understand that morals has to trump scientific progress at times. For example  we do not let people get tested on unless they volunteer and even then there is a limit to what humans are allowed to volunteer for.
It slows us down but it is the right thing to do. Many of our brain discovery's have been from people getting head injury's. It gives scientist a chance to see how it functions when certain parts are messed up. Its a nuance but its the only way to do it.

But if we ban testing on animals then I really don't see any substitute left.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#13    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,288 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

Maybe only protect the animals that you can give an individual name, and then who are able to come when you call their name?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#14    ancient astronaut

ancient astronaut

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

• It Is What It Is.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

Well I tell you what. Those little b******* better get jobs.

#15    ZOD

ZOD

Future Leader of Earth

• 4,861 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:42 AM

Give it a year, someone tries to marry a monkey.

Then everyone's gonna feel reeeeeeal stupid over the gay marriage argument.

Battle isn't wordplay.  It's skill and precision.  Get it? I'm better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users