Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

If You Believe in Ghosts, You'll See a Ghost

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,060 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

This makes sense, actually, because if you believe in ghosts you're more likely to disregard common sense explanations.

On the Saturday before Halloween I went on a haunted tour of the Merchant’s House Museum, where my roommate volunteers as a guide. The museum, a grand brick house on East 4th Street, is the oldest single-family home in New York City. It was built in 1832, and the family who lived there did so for nearly 100 years, until the daughter of the family, Gertrude, died in 1933 at 93 years old. It is at that point that she may or may not have turned into a ghost and started haunting her former home.

According to the tour guide—a co-volunteer of my roommate, who, during my visit, was on flashlight rather than speaking duty—Gertrude was seen in the street scolding a group of rowdy young boys just days after her death. Just days after! (I don’t know why this makes it seem extra weird and kind of funny. It just seems to me that hauntings, in an ideal world, would more logically take at least a few years after the death in question to kick in. Dead people should take a break first. To do it any other way is just rude, and, I would think, would be less effective in achieving shock value.)

Full story

Edited by Child of Bast, 04 December 2013 - 02:18 PM.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#2    Beany

Beany

Government Agent

• 3,299 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

It was seeing ghosts  that made me believe ghosts exist. Until then I thought it was all a bunch of hooey. A part of me still wants to believe it's hooey, because it makes the world much simpler.

#3    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,320 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Posted already, sorry.

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=257502

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users