Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Comet ISON CT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#16    stereologist

stereologist

Government Agent

• 4,248 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 05 December 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

This is why you hate all "conspiracy theories"? This isnt even close to why you hate them. You hate them cause there is a few big ones that you know deep down are at least possible, but would ruin your boxed in world view if they were.

BTW ison was supose to pass the earth at a distance of 40 million miles. However, since it has broken up, it has been spreading wider and wider. It went from a bulet to a shot gun blast. If it continues to spread the same way it has over the last few days, its entirely possible we may run into some of it. Not that its anywhere near as big a deal as this guy is trying to make it. But it isnt like he is swinging in the dark here. But then you already expressed your hate, while fully admiting you know nothing about the subject. Wait, why should we care what you think about it?

The particles that made up ISON are still under the rules of physics as was the intact comet. Why should they spread out? What forces will allow them to drift? We are 92M miles from the Sun If particles are to hit us they must drift 40M miles from the original trajectory. That would require a large force to provide it with that new trajectory. What is going to do that?

#17    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,185 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 05 December 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

This is why you hate all "conspiracy theories"? This isnt even close to why you hate them. You hate them cause there is a few big ones that you know deep down are at least possible, but would ruin your boxed in world view if they were.

BTW ison was supose to pass the earth at a distance of 40 million miles. However, since it has broken up, it has been spreading wider and wider. It went from a bulet to a shot gun blast. If it continues to spread the same way it has over the last few days, its entirely possible we may run into some of it. Not that its anywhere near as big a deal as this guy is trying to make it. But it isnt like he is swinging in the dark here. But then you already expressed your hate, while fully admiting you know nothing about the subject. Wait, why should we care what you think about it?

There are conspiracy theories that certainly do merit investoigation such as the cover-up of Fast and Furious and the Beghazzi attack yet you folks spend all your seemingly endless energy on verifiably untrue things, such as there being some deep secret regarding ISON and in the process you scare millions of people that are ignoarant of the facts.  ISON is no threat to the earh now and never has been and anyone who suggests that there is a reason to be afraid should be chased down and beaten rhetorcially until they recant or are made to look like the fools they are.

The worst outcome of ISON's journey around the Sun is I had to tell my 8 year old that the ISON show wouldn't be happening.  He was very disappointed but it provided an opportunity for both of us to study sun grazer comets and watch the great video from the various solar observatories.   I explained the distanes involved and why anyone who tells him to be afraid of this comet should be questioned and presented with the facts, which he actually had the opportunity to do and to let anyone else know that the person is uninformed and doesn't know what they are talking about.  I suggest you follow his lead and get the facts and then attack rather than defend charlatans and fear miongers like the ass that made the posted video.

Edited by Merc14, 05 December 2013 - 02:06 PM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#18    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:13 PM

Maybe it's a meta-conspiracy to discredit conspiracy theories.

#19    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,850 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:56 PM

View Poststereologist, on 05 December 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

The particles that made up ISON are still under the rules of physics as was the intact comet. Why should they spread out? What forces will allow them to drift? We are 92M miles from the Sun If particles are to hit us they must drift 40M miles from the original trajectory. That would require a large force to provide it with that new trajectory. What is going to do that?

I dont know. But last I saw, It had spread 5 million miles.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#20    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,850 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostMerc14, on 05 December 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

There are conspiracy theories that certainly do merit investoigation such as the cover-up of Fast and Furious and the Beghazzi attack yet you folks spend all your seemingly endless energy on verifiably untrue things, such as there being some deep secret regarding ISON and in the process you scare millions of people that are ignoarant of the facts.  ISON is no threat to the earh now and never has been and anyone who suggests that there is a reason to be afraid should be chased down and beaten rhetorcially until they recant or are made to look like the fools they are.

I personaly never believed ison was a threat. But I cant blame people for thinking it might be based on the actions of NASA. There was a black out of info from the time it past mars till it neared the sun. When pople appear to be hiding something, it makes people think there is something to hide. Im most dissapointed that we wont see it as the comet of the century. Now Im just hoping at least we get a couple good metor showers come January. Glad to see you dont dismiss all conspiracies though.

The worst outcome of ISON's journey around the Sun is I had to tell my 8 year old that the ISON show wouldn't be happening.  He was very disappointed but it provided an opportunity for both of us to study sun grazer comets and watch the great video from the various solar observatories.   I explained the distanes involved and why anyone who tells him to be afraid of this comet should be questioned and presented with the facts, which he actually had the opportunity to do and to let anyone else know that the person is uninformed and doesn't know what they are talking about.  I suggest you follow his lead and get the facts and then attack rather than defend charlatans and fear miongers like the ass that made the posted video.

Yea, Ive had the same conversation with my 8 year old son. Ive never said there was anything to fear. But it is a fact that the comet is getting wider. And it is a fact that if it continues to do so at the same rate, we might have some type of contact with it. Like I said though, that in and of its self isnt a reason the be affraid.

#21    Liquid Gardens

Liquid Gardens

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

• "Or is it just remains of vibrations from echoes long ago"

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 05 December 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

I personaly never believed ison was a threat. But I cant blame people for thinking it might be based on the actions of NASA. There was a black out of info from the time it past mars till it neared the sun.

I can 'blame' people for thinking it might be 'based on the actions of NASA', because it's terrible reasoning; it might make some rational sense if we lived in a world where NASA controlled the world's observatories & governments & media, let alone the US's.  

I don't believe there was any 'blackout' of info, on what are you basing that?  I've been hearing for a very long time that they weren't sure if the comet was going to survive it's encounter with the sun, the only thing there's been a blackout of was statements that declared for sure what would happen to the comet; since they didn't know for sure that's not what I would term a 'blackout'.

"You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into"
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" - C. Hitchens
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" - Richard Feynman

#22    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 5,185 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

I personaly never believed ison was a threat. But I cant blame people for thinking it might be based on the actions of NASA. There was a black out of info from the time it past mars till it neared the sun. When pople appear to be hiding something, it makes people think there is something to hide. Im most dissapointed that we wont see it as the comet of the century. Now Im just hoping at least we get a couple good metor showers come January. Glad to see you dont dismiss all conspiracies though.

Yea, Ive had the same conversation with my 8 year old son. Ive never said there was anything to fear. But it is a fact that the comet is getting wider. And it is a fact that if it continues to do so at the same rate, we might have some type of contact with it. Like I said though, that in and of its self isnt a reason the be affraid.

There was no blackout, that is a myth and we have encounters with comet debris all the time, it is called a meteor shower and many hit us annually.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#23    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:53 PM

This post right there explains to me such much about your other posts.  Just because people aren't saying something means they are hiding something?  Do you need NASA to hold your hand and tell you on a daily basis that you will in fact, be just fine?

#24    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,709 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:17 PM

What black out?  I've been getting daily ISON updates in my Facebook feed from NASA and other sources since at least the summer.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#25    stereologist

stereologist

Government Agent

• 4,248 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

View Postpreacherman76, on 05 December 2013 - 03:56 PM, said:

I dont know. But last I saw, It had spread 5 million miles.

The spread is due to the forces acting on the pieces. My guess, and I do say guess is that the spread is along the trajectory. That is due to drag slowing some of the smaller pieces relative to the larger pieces. The drag comes from the solar wind. But the soalr wind also pushes particles away from the Sun. That is what causes the comet's tail to point away from the Sun. The heat of the Sun can also cause outgassing. That boiled off material can break up the comet as well as cause it to be propelled. If the comet becomes slightly charged it might also be possible for the Sun's magnetic field to act on the pieces. I'm guessing again, but I would not think that would amount to much. As the comet swings away from the Sun on its trajectory these interacts with the Sun are reduced. The particles could also interact with each other through collisions. This would tend to scatter the particles, especially smaller pieces.

Can it spread the particles? You are certainly correct that it does. A 2km nucleus has been spread over millions of kilometers. But almost all particles are on basically the same trajectory headed out from the inner solar system back towards the Oort cloud.

#26    stereologist

stereologist

Government Agent

• 4,248 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Preacherman76, with all of the ISON hubbub I hope you didn't miss out on comet Lovejoy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2013_R1

It is probably not visible to the unaided eye, but binoculars will let you see it.
http://www.washingto...-comet-lovejoy/

cheers

#27    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,850 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

View PostAgent0range, on 05 December 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

This post right there explains to me such much about your other posts.  Just because people aren't saying something means they are hiding something?  Do you need NASA to hold your hand and tell you on a daily basis that you will in fact, be just fine?

What other posts? Exactly which ones? I dont "need" anything from NASA. However I do expect them to reveal, or cover all information in regards to what they themselfs called the comet of the century. I dont know if you have heard of Bpearthwatch on youtube, but he brought up several inconsistancies concerning NASA's coverage of ison.

#28    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,850 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

View PostMerc14, on 05 December 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

There was no blackout, that is a myth and we have encounters with comet debris all the time, it is called a meteor shower and many hit us annually.

Of course there was a blackout. Government shut down was the excuse. They still had money to pay al CIAda to attack Syria, but they couldnt afford to show us the pictures they were taking of the comet.

#29    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,709 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

Actually when ISON did its slingshot around the Sun, it went into a time space wormhole into the future so it could bring the whales back and save Earth from the probe.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#30    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,639 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

ISON is actually Santa pulling all the Geeks string for X-mass this year ! Kinda a Space Ho ! Ho ! Ho !
:tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users