Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gigantism documented in 5th Dynasty

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,462 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:07 AM

http://www.clas.ufl....lication_detail

The remains of a large adult male, probably in his late 20s or early 30s, from a Fifth Dynasty
tomb (2494–2345 BC) were excavated in 2001 from Cemetery 2500 in the Western Cemetery
at Giza, Egypt, as part of the Howard University Giza Cemetery Project. This individual
exhibits characteristics of pituitary gigantism, including tall but normally-proportioned stature,
delayed epiphyseal union, a large sella turcica, advanced arthritis and a transepiphyseal
fracture of the left femoral head. Additional pathological features, including osteopenia and
thinness of the parietal bones, suggest that this individual may also have been hypogonadal.
Craniometric comparisons with other ancient Egyptian groups as well as modern normal and
acromegalic patients show some tendency toward acromegalic skull morphology.

I thought this was interesting.

Basically this poor fellow was Messed Up.

Only one such guy found, so no need to claim Giants built the pyramids and such. Also this guy was definately a giant, but not very strong, or tough and probably was hurt easily.

Edited by DieChecker, 05 December 2013 - 01:07 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#2    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,720 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:42 AM

From the looks of it he was treated quite grandly while he was alive ... what's the life expectancy of the time ? twenty five to thirties seems to be quite high especially for one with his condition ... bet the ladies of the court loved him ...

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users