Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Worlds oldest DNA in a 400,000 y/o thigh bone

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,117 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

World's oldest DNA is recovered from a 400,000-year-old thigh bone - and provides a new jigsaw piece in the history of evolution

* Scientist reconstructed the mitochondrial genome from two grams of bone
* They found early humans shared a common ancestor with the Denisovans
* This was suprising as early humans were thought to share a common ancestor with Neanderthals due to similar skeletal features

The world's oldest human DNA has been recovered from the thigh bone of an ancestor that walked the Earth 400,000 years ago.

It belonged to a hominin, or early human, known as Homo heidelbergensis and provides a new vital piece of the jigsaw in the story of evolution.

Using a technique for retrieving and sequencing highly degraded ancient DNA, scientists were able to reconstruct the almost complete mitochondrial (mt) genome from just two grams of bone powder.

Read more:
http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2mb8tJjfm

another version

Oldest DNA Leads To Evolution Questions. A 400,000-year-old thigh bone found in Spain surprises scientists with its genetic links, which they cannot yet explain.

http://news.sky.com/...ution-questions

Edited by seeder, 05 December 2013 - 11:19 AM.

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,607 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

Don't all forms of life share a common ancestor?  Unless more than one kind of life formed at the start of it all...

#3    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

This is about the immediate predecessors of humans.  It seems there were several "types" (maybe separate species but if they shared DNA then I would guess more like races) in Eurasia during the last million or so years.

It seems our species evolved in Africa during this period and entered Eurasia maybe around 200 to 400 thousand years ago, and may have interbred some, but plainly not much, with Homo species already there.

#4    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,153 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 December 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

This is about the immediate predecessors of humans.  It seems there were several "types" (maybe separate species but if they shared DNA then I would guess more like races) in Eurasia during the last million or so years.

It seems our species evolved in Africa during this period and entered Eurasia maybe around 200 to 400 thousand years ago, and may have interbred some, but plainly not much, with Homo species already there.

Race has no meaning within the genus Homo and the "types" mentioned would be along the species level.

Our species, meaning Homo sapiens sapiens, are only evidenced as having entered southern Arabia a little more than 106,000 BP as evidenced by the Nubian Complex sites in Yemen. With a later and more wide ranging migration between 50,000 - 70,000 BP and evidence of having entered Europe only as recently as c.45,000 BP.

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt, 05 December 2013 - 01:31 PM.

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 17,137 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

I don't know that it's a good idea to be so dogmatic contradicting others in an area where the evidence is so sparse and where the other person was careful to put things in hypothetical phrases.  It tends to sour the milk, although I hope that was not your intent.

#6    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,117 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

whoops, sorry everyone this would appear to be a duplicate posting, other thread here

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=258825

I guess mods will merge.

Now wouldn't it be great if people like zoser left the UFO forums for a while and catch up on things like this? He is forever saying "the missing link blah blah..therefore it was aliens blah blah blah"   yet you cant expect to discover the truth of the human species on ET forums   :lol:

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#7    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,153 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 05 December 2013 - 01:36 PM, said:

I don't know that it's a good idea to be so dogmatic contradicting others in an area where the evidence is so sparse and where the other person was careful to put things in hypothetical phrases.  It tends to sour the milk, although I hope that was not your intent.

My intent was solely to clarify areas where you appeared not to understand the difference between Genus and Species. "Race" has no scientific meaning and is therefore irrelevant in the context of the human phylum (i.e. Homo = Genus; sapiens (1st usage) = species; sapiens (2nd usage) = subspecies). There was nothing in Post #3 that I saw as hypothetical. It came across as more of an implication of evidence that doesn't actually exist.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users