Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Economic freedom zones in detorit

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,753 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

So most people here know im a Rand Paul fan boy. Well he is going to Detroit to propose his method of fixing the city.  http://thelibertaria.../#axzz2mZMYfiZu

From the article

Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) is heading to Detroit to propose “economic freedom zones,” which would be “a massive giveback of money that’s already yours.”
Paul believes that lowering the taxes in Detroit would be a true stimulus to the economy. He argues the city should reduce the corporate and individual income taxes to 5%, while abolishing the capital gains tax entirely. He also wants to bring payroll taxes down for workers and employers. Also, entrepreneurs will be incentivized to move to Detroit, making it a “new Hong Kong.”

Read more at TLR: Senator Rand Paul heads to Detroit to propose "economic freedom zones" (VIDEO) | The Libertarian Republic http://thelibertaria.../#ixzz2mcnbkS5i
Follow us: @LibRepublic on Twitter | LibertarianRepublic on Facebook

obviously I think this is a great ideal seeing how the policies the city has been under for the past decades has drove it in to the ground. It needs something new

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#2    Agent0range

Agent0range

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Can't hurt.  Why not give it a try?

Edit:  Now that I think about it, it is a great idea.  People throw out ideas about how to stimulate jobs and economic growth.  "Tax the rich" "don't tax the rich, they create jobs".  Why not use this little piece of the country to determine what will work?

Edited by Agent0range, 05 December 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,967 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

I listened to this idea last night.  It sounds as though it might actually work.  My guess is it will be killed because IF it did work, it would highlight the causes of the failures to begin with - can't have that now can we?

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#4    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,753 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostAgent0range, on 05 December 2013 - 06:16 PM, said:

Can't hurt.  Why not give it a try?

Edit:  Now that I think about it, it is a great idea.  People throw out ideas about how to stimulate jobs and economic growth.  "Tax the rich" "don't tax the rich, they create jobs".  Why not use this little piece of the country to determine what will work?

Good point, Detroit cant really get any worse so experimenting on it we would have none thing to loose.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,120 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

The best way to do something like this is on a smaller scale first. Clearly Detroit has nothing to lose by trying this.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#6    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:27 PM

I think it sounds like a great idea, and it makes sense. Couldn't hurt to try. Throwing stimulus money at Detroit sure isn't working.....

#7    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,967 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 05 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Hmmm... they pass it - it turns into a rousing success and RP is a hero just in time for 2016?  Uh huh..... Yeah, the Dems are gonna pass THAT  ;)

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...

#8    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,427 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

View Postand then, on 05 December 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

I listened to this idea last night.  It sounds as though it might actually work.  My guess is it will be killed because IF it did work, it would highlight the causes of the failures to begin with - can't have that now can we?
Exactly.  If such a plan were succesful, which I don't doubt it would be, it would serve to highlite the falsehoods of the current narritive.  Can't go around being proved wrong now can we?  I'm surprised they didn't kill the microphone during this proposal.

#9    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

Never work because of one thing - UNIONS.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#10    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,916 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

What about Akron?   What about Youngstown?  What about Pittsburgh?    Just Detroit?   How long before there's another federal bureaucracy staffed full of thousands of overpaid employees handling another avalanche of paperwork from every wannabe economic freedom zone in the country until it becomes obvious there's two different sides of the tracks here, the economic freedom zones getting special treatment and the non economic freedom zones who aren't.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein
"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#11    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,916 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

"Conservatives" (errr ehmmm Republicans) like CyberKen are quick to point out that "There aren't enough rich people".  

But they never finish the sentence.  

There aren't enough rich people - to pay for the spending.   So they're in effect the new party of taxation without representation.   They want to tax everyone ("50% of Americans pay no taxes, romble, romble, romble! blah blah blah!") especially and relevantly, the social classes and races and sexualities and other groups who disagree with their ideologies of proper governance.

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians.  Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

#12    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,753 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostYamato, on 05 December 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

What about Akron?   What about Youngstown?  What about Pittsburgh? Just Detroit?   How long before there's another federal bureaucracy staffed full of thousands of overpaid employees handling another avalanche of paperwork from every wannabe economic freedom zone in the country until it becomes obvious there's two different sides of the tracks here, the economic freedom zones getting special treatment and the non economic freedom zones who aren't.

Im pretty sure Rand Paul wants the whole country to be a "economic free zone". His dream is to use Detroit to show how the free market can improve things. Since Detroit is in the worst shape and has been electing people who do the opposite of a free market for decades.

That's his dream anyways. But im sure the people in Detroit will keep electing the same type of people who got them in the mess.

Criss Jami

#13    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,916 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

View Postspartan max2, on 05 December 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Im pretty sure Rand Paul wants the whole country to be a "economic free zone". His dream is to use Detroit to show how the free market can improve things. Since Detroit is in the worst shape and has been electing people who do the opposite of a free market for decades.
That's his dream anyways. But im sure the people in Detroit will keep electing the same type of people who got them in the mess.
Just lower everyone's (corporate) taxes to be in-line or less than global averages.   Problem solved. But since that's too difficult, I'm sure that after some bureaucrat parades 30 crying children from Detroit across the stage they'll get the extra Kleenex votes they need to pass a bill.  I'm giving Rand Paul the benefit of the doubt that he knows he needs legislative power to pull something like this off, not some fantastical wonder-twin power from the executive branch.

This Detroit dream is a beautiful political experiment though, obviously.  This kind of special treatment from the federal government is fundamentally why I couldn't/can't/wouldn't/won't vote for Obama in 2008 or 2012.  

Posted Image

No more Candy Man.  Lower taxes across the board, and then get out of the way (i.e. stop the spending).

Edited by Yamato, 05 December 2013 - 09:14 PM.

#14    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,491 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:35 PM

View PostRafterman, on 05 December 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Never work because of one thing - UNIONS.

What power could they possibly have there?

The Unions that are left certainly don't have the sway they used to.

#15    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,172 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

Good idea, because there is never success without attempt.
Can the decission be taken by the local government (governor?) or needs
that to get approved by a higher level of government?

Edited by toast, 05 December 2013 - 09:57 PM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users