Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Coffins beneath school playground

coffins playground excavation philadelphia

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,611 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

A disturbing discovery has been made under an elementary school playground in Philadelphia.
Philadelphia Water Department crews doing excavation work behind William Dick Elementary School, 2498 W. Diamond St., unearthed several coffins and headstones Wednesday afternoon.

READ MORE

Posted Image

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#2    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,346 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

My old secondary school also had coffins "discovered" under the playground, they were the dead from the plague, there was a large mound which "housed" the bulk of the bodies and there is a door at the mound which is completely sealed.
The thing is, like this school in Philidelphia, they had already concreted over that area to build the playground years previously, someone knew it was there and decided to build on top of it, so its no surprise they were there, shame it was not relayed to the next set of builders....shame it was build on in the first place.

#3    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,226 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:37 PM

Childrens' reaction - "COOL!"
Parents' reaction - "OMFG NOOOOOO!"

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#4    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

YOUR FAVORITE GIRL!

• 8,745 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

That's pretty. . .cool.

Posted Image

#5    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,165 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

When you don't care what might've been there before you built your school and accompanying playground, you make discoveries like this long after anyone remembers what was there first.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#6    davros of skaro

davros of skaro

The Holy Dopamine Ghost

• 5,372 posts

• Watching the Star Wars The Force Awakens trailers: I get Goosebumps, and I feel waves of emotions. This is proof that "The Force" is real. :D

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

I know where the owners of a new house will have a surprise if they ever put in an underground pool where they currently have  their childrens swingset.The contractor that built the house snapped over the tombstones, and buried them from a small family plot from the 1800's. :no:

Posted Image
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=79Lmmy2jfeo <-- "Mythical Jesus" Dr. Carrier
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=IybD2xzkhtc <-- "Mythical Moses" Dr. Price (starts@10:20)
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=272571 <-- Science Behind Irrational Beliefs
Inanna the Goddess of love was crucified, then after 3 days/nights was resurrected. An over 3,000 yo Tablet saying this is proof of it's truth. Praise Jesus Serotonin Christ!

#7    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,848 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

I saw this on the news last night. The cemetery has graves going from the mid 1800's until 1951 when the city bought the land. They said most of the graves had been moved but I guess not all.
http://abclocal.go.c...ocal&id=9348860

Edited by susieice, 06 December 2013 - 01:02 AM.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#8    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

It's usable land, I don't see the problem.

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#9    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,848 posts

.....Robert Frost

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:12 AM

My hometown built a library in the early 1900's and found a cemetery from the 1700's. Of course, now it has the reputation of being haunted. Just moved from town not a year ago and have been there many times. There is a grave by the door which is the remains of William Parsons, who laid out the street plans for the early town. The second is the grave of Mary Morgan who owned an inn on what is now called Morgan's Hill. There is also a large vault carved into the hill behind the library that contains the remains of the 26 decedents that were not claimed or could not be identified. This happens a lot but Philly's cemetery wasn't all that old.
http://www.hauntedho...ton_library.htm

Edited by susieice, 06 December 2013 - 01:14 AM.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#10    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,848 posts

.....Robert Frost

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:24 AM

That's funny because the pics of the graves show that they were moved again when the new addition was built. I never saw anything in all my years of going there, since childhood.

#11    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 10,346 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:45 AM

View PostKelevra, on 06 December 2013 - 01:02 AM, said:

It's usable land, I don't see the problem.
There is actually no problem, it happens all he time.
But this is a great area  for the " I`ve seen a ghost, is this it? what do you think? look at this photo, is this dot a ghost? " youtube enthusiasts. :tu:

#12    ameslarinm

ameslarinm

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

Almost every school I've visited has seemed haunted.

Writer- Currently researching the similarities and differences between fairies, aliens, and The Virgin Mary

#13    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

It isn't the dead that it would bother; it would be their relatives who can never visit the graves.  Older people like me prefer to have a tangible place to mourn, not "the wind" or something.  If they have been there since the 1800s, it won't bother people as much, but I doubt that people would want their kids to be digging in the sandbox at school and have bones popping out of the sand willy-nilly, either.

#14    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

another reason to consider cremation over burial.

Also tagged with coffins, playground, excavation, philadelphia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users