Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

2/3rd of the nxt generation believe in demons

demons possession

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

Almost Two-Thirds of 18-29 Year Olds Believe in "Demon Possession" What Is Happening to America?

Belief in supernatural phenomena has spiked.October 30, 2013  |   
   Are Americans becoming less religious? While church affiliation is probably declining, don't expect the atheist revolution anytime soon:Over one half (63 percent, to be exact) of young Americans 18-29 years old now believe in the notion that invisible, non-corporeal entities called "demons" can take partial or total control of human beings, revealed an October 2012 

More here

http://www.alternet....etter917918&t=3

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 05 December 2013 - 10:57 PM.

Miss me?

#2    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,608 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

Well half of my family is pretty religious, not sure of their thoughts on things like this though.  I remember years ago I was channel surfing and found a televised mass exorcism show.  One of the "victims" started thrashing about on the ground as the host was screaming, "YOU HAVE NO LEGAL RIGHT TO BE IN HER!"

Too funny.

#3    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

i am political correctness gone mad

• 2,563 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

i hope that number is exaggerated, because otherwise? depressing.

i don't particularly care about the religion part, but belief in demons and possession? no. those can be potentially dangerous, especially for people dealing with mental illness.

#4    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 05 December 2013 - 10:56 PM, said:

Almost Two-Thirds of 18-29 Year Olds Believe in "Demon Possession" What Is Happening to America?

Belief in supernatural phenomena has spiked.October 30, 2013  |  
   Are Americans becoming less religious? While church affiliation is probably declining, don't expect the atheist revolution anytime soon:Over one half (63 percent, to be exact) of young Americans 18-29 years old now believe in the notion that invisible, non-corporeal entities called "demons" can take partial or total control of human beings, revealed an October 2012

More here

http://www.alternet....etter917918&t=3

It's no wonder to me why everything is so jacked up in the U.S.

If you guys haven't ever watched it, you should at least watch the first 15 minutes of the first episode of "The Newsroom" with Jeff Daniels.  His speech about America is epic and spot on.  I'm gonna quote/paraphrase (all from memory) one line from it; "America leads the world in 3 categories;  incarcerations per capita; military spending, which we spend more than the next 25 nations combined, and they're our allies; and belief in angels"

#5    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• 1,729 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

I rarely see belief in possession detached from religious beliefs. There are instances of mental illness that can fracture one's personality and concept of self and relation to external existence, hard drugs or even softer drugs without holding your own mind can turn one upside down. I believe in spirits and energy yet why would ''demons'' care to possess a person? I could understand longing for a physical body yet if a demon can possess a person, that's some deep power, surely you can conjure up something equally as nourishing if you have the ability to possess a human being on a floating planet ya know? One of my most adored films is The Exorcist and it's so damn powerful cause religion is what saves the girl yet neither she or her mother are religious or based in a traditional 'demons are possible because so and so states that...' kinda deal, it tackles the theme so cleverly and in a layered and clinical route.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#6    spartan max2

spartan max2

Government Agent

• 3,688 posts

• People get mad when it rains or it shines but no one gets mad at the moon

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:33 AM

This is so not true. Spike in supernatural belief probably. But not the demon possession part

Edited by spartan max2, 06 December 2013 - 12:34 AM.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#7    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 17,128 posts

• I love chocolate

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:45 AM

I have no doubt that demons do exist.  The question is are what I believe demons to be and what you believe them to be the same thing?

edit to add: my definition is beings from a seperate dimension of earth and I also believe what most refer to as aliens are also these creatures which I have termed demons and muslims refer to as djinn.  just my opinion.

Edited by OverSword, 06 December 2013 - 12:49 AM.

#8    Skep B

Skep B

Savant of Depravity

• 5,563 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:04 AM

I would question how the questions were asked, and who the group was that were asked the question.

When you know what a man loves, you know what can kill him

#9    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

i am political correctness gone mad

• 2,563 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

yeah, the article mentions that the question was included in other "halloween themed" questions, which makes me wonder if the phrasing and the context influenced the answers.

#10    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

View PostWickian, on 05 December 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Well half of my family is pretty religious, not sure of their thoughts on things like this though.  I remember years ago I was channel surfing and found a televised mass exorcism show.  One of the "victims" started thrashing about on the ground as the host was screaming, "YOU HAVE NO LEGAL RIGHT TO BE IN HER!"

Too funny.

That's hysterical.
There's this Japanese possession movie. Really old. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of it.
We saw it years ago at an old Japanese movie festival in the east village in NYC, and while they're doing the exorcism, the possessed woman keeps yelling, RUB ME WITH RED BEANS AND RICE, RUB ME WITH RED BEANS AND RICE.
I was maybe 18 at the time, and knowing how they translate this stuff badly even now, I'm wondering if she was yelling something completely different. I knew next to no Japanese at that time so.

Like rub me with daifuku!!
Either way it's funny, but daifuku is even funnier.

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 06 December 2013 - 07:33 PM.

Miss me?

#11    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostDancingCorpse, on 06 December 2013 - 12:26 AM, said:

I rarely see belief in possession detached from religious beliefs. There are instances of mental illness that can fracture one's personality and concept of self and relation to external existence, hard drugs or even softer drugs without holding your own mind can turn one upside down. I believe in spirits and energy yet why would ''demons'' care to possess a person? I could understand longing for a physical body yet if a demon can possess a person, that's some deep power, surely you can conjure up something equally as nourishing if you have the ability to possess a human being on a floating planet ya know? One of my most adored films is The Exorcist and it's so damn powerful cause religion is what saves the girl yet neither she or her mother are religious or based in a traditional 'demons are possible because so and so states that...' kinda deal, it tackles the theme so cleverly and in a layered and clinical route.
Blatty was obsessed with the existence of God.
Most of his early works reflect this, and the endings are always, "yes, God exists", as the final word.

Miss me?

#12    LostSouls7

LostSouls7

Lost Ghost

• 1,330 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

The answer to this is SIMPLE!

that stupid movie Paranormal Activity is to blame!!!

And it's so silly. That Triganle with the cirle... is a REAL occult symbol.

The Triangle of Solomon which you summons demons with....
BUT the way they use it in paranornal activity is so ridiculous and fake....

But all these young dumb kids... never read an occult book in their life...
and couldn't cast a glamour spell to save their life lol...

so yes they all believe in demons because of the Paranoral Activity series...

either that or the zo zo demon that haunts youtube....

Either way it p***es me off that they use the Triangle of Solomon as some evil symbol....
in the series.. when it's just where the spirit appears when you summon it.....

I saw the latest ad for Paranormal Activity... the Marked Ones...

with the ******* Triangle of Solomon on the forehead of this reaper thing!!

are you kidding me??? that is so stupid....

and i bet not one of those young kids knows what the Triangle of Solomon is...
or a magic circe for that matter....

So yes they all believe is scary demons... because of a movie series that sucks..
and got very popular...

I like the Indsidious series much better persoanally...

Edited by LostSouls7, 06 December 2013 - 10:05 PM.

Scary story about being scratched at 5 AM. Real demon attack story!
https://www.youtube....h?v=_Kzw8RRFsMQ

My collection of true and fiction ghost and ouija stories, horror movie reviews etc.
http://ouijaghosts.blogspot.com/

#13    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

That's what happens when schools no longer teach critical thinking skills and focus on just getting the little darlings through the next standardized test so the government $$ keep rolling in.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#14    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 7,178 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:12 PM

Why is that surprising 2/3 probably believe in Zombies, Vampires and Santa Claus as well.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#15    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,124 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

View Postseaturtlehorsesnake, on 06 December 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

yeah, the article mentions that the question was included in other "halloween themed" questions, which makes me wonder if the phrasing and the context influenced the answers.

I agree,  Survey results without the context of the questions can be very misleading.

Also tagged with demons, possession

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users