Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Planetary science: Lunar conspiracies

planetary formation moon earth venus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,216 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

Planetary science: Lunar conspiracies
Current theories on the formation of the Moon owe too much to cosmic coincidences, says Robin Canup. She calls for better models and a mission to Venus.

www.nature.com said:

The Moon is more than just a familiar sight in our skies. It dictates conditions on Earth. The Moon is large enough to stabilize our planet's rotation, holding Earth's polar axis steady to within a few degrees. Without it, the current Earth's tilt would vary chaotically by tens of degrees. Such large variations might not preclude life, but would lead to a vastly different climate.

Knowing how the Moon was made is central to understanding Earth and the formation of other planets.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,130 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

I saw something on the science channel that said without the moon the plane of earth's rotation could move by as much as 90%. Could this be true? Also since the tidal regions would be much smaller diversification of life might be less which would seem to me to make intelligent life less likely.

Also tagged with planetary formation, moon, earth, venus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users