Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 4 votes

Adam Deen | Islam Is A Peaceful Religion

islam peaceful religion oxford union

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

#1    Phaeton80

Phaeton80

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

• "Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.."

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

A refreshing look at the 21st century boogeyman, the perceived 'clear & present danger', for millions of Westerners..

Adam Deen, a prominent Muslim intellectual and founder and director of the Deen Institute, counters Anne-Marie Waters by arguing that "if we approach Islamic teaching fairly and objectively, there is a golden thread that runs through whole Qur'an," an ideal of "justice" and "positive peace".

He argues that in fact the whole of Islam is compatible with "just war theory", in which "the virtue of avoiding violence is superseded by the virtue of justice." He then quotes from the Qur'an which states: "Fight in God's cause but do not overstep the limits. God does not love those who overstep the limits."

MOTION: THIS HOUSE BELIEVES ISLAM IS A RELIGION OF PEACE.
Yes's: 286
No's: 168
Filmed on 28/02/2013

ABOUT ADAM DEEN:
ADAM DEEN is a Muslim public intellectual who has spoken at more than 40 UK university campuses. He is founder and Director of the Deen Institute, and has debated against many atheists including Peter Atkins.

ABOUT THE OXFORD UNION SOCIETY:
The Union is the world's most prestigious debating society, with an unparalleled reputation for bringing international guests and speakers to Oxford. It has been established for 189 years, aiming to promote debate and discussion not just in Oxford University, but across the globe.

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,419 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

Ban all relgions

#3    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,778 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:47 PM

It's not the religion that's the problem, it's what unstable people do with it that causes suffering.

""If we are going to move forward with technology, we're going to have to hand the self destruct button to every person on the planet and trust them not to push it."

Aaron Frank

#4    Phaeton80

Phaeton80

Psychic Spy

• 1,247 posts

• "Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.."

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 06 December 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

Ban all relgions

Exactly the sort of response I would expect from an individual like yourself.

It isnt (Abrahamic) religion, to the contrary. Its the folly of Man itself.

#5    redhen

redhen

Poltergeist

• 2,825 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hmm, Phaeton80 is in Amsterdam and believes that Islam is a religion of peace. I'm sure Theo van Gogh would have been thrilled to learn that.

Posted Image

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,996 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:22 PM

View Postredhen, on 06 December 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

Hmm, Phaeton80 is in Amsterdam and believes that Islam is a religion of peace. I'm sure Theo van Gogh would have been thrilled to learn that.

And Lee Rigby!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

Why does he even bother? if he thinks its a peaceful religion, great, follow it peacefully and do not blow anyone up, BUT DO NOT TRY TO CONVERT US TO  BELIEVE IT IS SOLELY PEACEFUL, there is far too much evidence and have been far too many deaths to show it is not  the case.
ANY religion which kills in the name of their god or because they think they are soldiers fighting their cause, is NOT peaceful.

This man should really keep his "ideas" about islam to himself and his mosque, he is not in a muslim country and it will never be one.

I have no problem in him loving his religion, but do it where it belongs...in a muslim country!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,996 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 06 December 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

It's not the religion that's the problem, it's what unstable people do with it that causes suffering.

In the case of Islam, that statement is wrong!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!

#9    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,778 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

View Postealdwita, on 06 December 2013 - 08:25 PM, said:

In the case of Islam, that statement is wrong!

Is it? Please fill in the following blanks;

"I would like you to provide s____es to validate that."

""If we are going to move forward with technology, we're going to have to hand the self destruct button to every person on the planet and trust them not to push it."

Aaron Frank

#10    Phaeton80

Phaeton80

Psychic Spy

• 1,247 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:28 PM

View Postfreetoroam, on 06 December 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Why does he even bother? if he thinks its a peaceful religion, great, follow it peacefully and do not blow anyone up, BUT DO NOT TRY TO CONVERT US TO  BELIEVE IT IS SOLELY PEACEFUL, there is far too much evidence and have been far too many deaths to show it is not  the case.
ANY religion which kills in the name of their god or because they think they are soldiers fighting their cause, is NOT peaceful.

This man should really keep his "ideas" about islam to himself and his mosque, he is not in a muslim country and it will never be one.

I have no problem in him loving his religion, but do it where it belongs...in a muslim country!

Sweet mother of god.

Conditioned much?

#11    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,301 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:39 PM

Islam is no more violent than Christianity. If you don't think so, crack open a history book and learn. Crusades?? Started by Christians. Pretty much every land Christians have conquered they have also forced conversions. And their force usually involves destroying homes and raping and murdering.

But that's okay apparently. :rolleyes:

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#12    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,996 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 06 December 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Is it? Please fill in the following blanks;

"I would like you to provide s____es to validate that."

Knock yourself out..... http://www.thereligi...23-violence.htm

#13    thyra

thyra

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:54 PM

when people lose their minds it is easy to put religion as an excuse

"Before the shooting, Breivik posted a 1,500-page manifesto online in which he said he was just one operative in the beginning of a violent Christian conservative revolution in Europe led by a group called the new Knights Templar. ."

thats from the denmak shooter.
I dont believe in essense religions are meant to tbe destructive to the outer world. People always took religious teachings too materialistically. This was the biggest mistake done in religions of the world.

studying of holy texts take time. you need to look at whole verse and the text that it is sent into. also you should look at when and in which situation that verse is sent. most important of  it all, it requires a holistic desire of getting close to god. actually this is the main purpose of reading these texts or else they dont serve any purpose whatsoever. they all look fearsome,feel like head ache or distant and at least like gibberish to those who do not act on that desire.

Edited by thyra, 06 December 2013 - 09:05 PM.

Posted Image

#14    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,635 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostPhaeton80, on 06 December 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Sweet mother of god.

Conditioned much?
God had a mother?

Not conditioned at all. not a follower, not indoctrinated, not bothered what people want to believe in, as long as people do not try and say they are peaceful, history IS our witness,  be it islam, Christianity or Judaism, that this is not the case.

islam is not just a religion to many of them, it is a political party too.

In time, maybe the religions will all become peaceful and live side by side, but so far, IT IS NOT HAPPENING.
I will not even bother to put up links to the deaths of people around the world because of religion today,  because its on the news virtually everyday.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#15    Phaeton80

Phaeton80

Psychic Spy

• 1,247 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

Erm.. yeah. Well you see, the beauty of conditioning is that the victim - per very definition - is blisfully unaware of it.

And given your former post was filled to the very brim with xenophobic, highly subjective, utterly misconstrued content.. Let me just be the one to tell you.., you my good man, are one conditioned mofo.

(I mean 'mofo' in a friendly sort of way)

Edited by Phaeton80, 06 December 2013 - 09:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users