Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 4 votes

Adam Deen | Islam Is A Peaceful Religion

islam peaceful religion oxford union

• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

#31    thyra

thyra

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

View PostHares, on 06 December 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

condoning slavery, rape, infanticide and genocide  etc- that is barbarism

there is a man who doesnt read it that way, thanks for reminding him to me again and reminding how precious his point of view is.

Posted Image

#32    il-Hares

il-Hares

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

• If you have an imaginary friend, you're insane - if you share it with millions of people, you just founded a religion.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

View PostPhaeton80, on 06 December 2013 - 10:26 PM, said:

Look, the bible didnt create the inquisition. Fearmongering power hungry human beings did.

If you can take the teachings of Christ and proceed to kill young & elderly women alike, you know somethings awry.

Religion is nothing but a tool, which can be used for 'good', and 'evil'. The wielder is decisive.

The wielder is Man.

Religion is not  a tool, its a weapon.

#33    il-Hares

il-Hares

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

• If you have an imaginary friend, you're insane - if you share it with millions of people, you just founded a religion.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

View Postthyra, on 06 December 2013 - 10:31 PM, said:

there is a man who doesnt read it that way, thanks for reminding him to me again and reminding how precious his point of view is.

I read it as it is, a storybook.

I know what is wrong and what is right, no need for some old fairytale.

#34    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,132 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:36 PM

Didn't Muhammad go to war to spread his religion? and isn't that like the central figure of Islam? So would that not make Islam a violent religion?

Central figure of christanity for example is Jesus and he told people to turn the other cheek. Muhammad went to war...soooooooo? How is Islam not violent.

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#35    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,280 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

View PostHerNibs, on 06 December 2013 - 09:42 PM, said:

Where and when did he say it is SOLELY a religion of peace?  Wonderfully little deceptive adverb you snuck on in there.

he mentions extremists, they are still muslims, so, yes you are right, it is not a solely peaceful religion, so why is he not addressing them instead? As long as there are muslims in the western world that want to kill us, his "peaceful" speech is fruitless... He should be talking to them, not us!

Well then, with that logic Christianity can get right on that band wagon with "Islam".

Christian Terrorism

really, the Crusades have finished, islamists are still killing in the name of islam.

But you missed this from my earlier post:
"as long as people do not try and say they are peaceful, history IS our witness,  be it islam, Christianity or Judaism, that this is not the case."

Your last two lines smack of hate and bigotry.

how typical! what would you rather me say "I love islam and want it to flourish in this western country"? and because you know that I do not love it and do not want it to flourish here, that makes me a hater and a bigot?

NO group, religion or otherwise, can be characterized as SOLELY anything because human individual are not identical nor do the function and interpret thing identically.

This I agree on, hence why I said that he should not be trying to tell us that islam is a peaceful religion, IT IS NOT SOLELY a peaceful religion, for the reason you have stated, so why is he trying to tell us it is even peaceful at all?
I am not saying all muslims hate the west, but as long as they are there and living in our western countries, he has got a very long task against him to try and convince some of us otherwise.
My point is, do not try and convince us how peaceful it is, show us it is by not allowing other muslims to murder on our streets....but we know this will not happen.

We have heard the " he was such a nice guy" stories when a muslim has been caught as a terrorist, was that "nice man" one of the peaceful muslims we were supposed to trust once? bet he was.

Edited by freetoroam, 06 December 2013 - 10:39 PM.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#36    thyra

thyra

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

View PostHares, on 06 December 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

I read it as it is, a storybook.

I know what is wrong and what is right, no need for some old fairytale.

thats one way to look at it. yes, you will never commit murder or join in making someone a slave deliberately, rape or hurt. you know whats right and wrong. you know these are all wrong but you are living in a world where such things happen. a side of you may remain angry.

Posted Image

#37    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

View Postthyra, on 06 December 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

it isnt barbarism.that wasnt my intention. I wanted to show the similarity between two books.
you will see in all holy tetxs things that is really really hard for human nature to explain at one sight. things that will shock you, things that will make you cry and things that will make your blood freeze. there will be things like you will never be able to explain. like for example. some arbitrary looking letters that mean nothing, preceeding some verses.  it isnt barbarism. Not one bit. I never want to see it that way due to my respect to those people who read it with their hearts and saw the actual meaning behind it.

Sorry, but I canot get yr points here.

"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"Don't kill the golden goose." - Malcolm McLaren -
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -
"I will give you my finest hour, oh yeah!" - Blondie -

#38    thyra

thyra

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:50 PM

View Posttoast, on 06 December 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

Sorry, but I canot get yr points here.

thats all right. perhaps next time, on a similar issue, in another discussion with somebody else, the point is better made.  if what I said isnt important, it will get lost anyway.

Posted Image

#39    il-Hares

il-Hares

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

View Postthyra, on 06 December 2013 - 10:39 PM, said:

thats one way to look at it. yes, you will never commit murder or join in making someone a slave deliberately, rape or hurt. you know whats right and wrong. you know these are all wrong but you are living in a world where such things happen. a side of you may remain angry.

I know I am angry - mostly because other people commit those crimes and they affect me and my loved ones directly or indirectly.

I'm not saying I'm perfect or a saint (I was born and raised in a predominantly christian country, so my speech is full of religious stuff, even my swearing).

#40    Philangeli

Philangeli

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 352 posts

• Develop a mind which rests on no thing whatsoever

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

View PostPhaeton80, on 06 December 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

Erm.. yeah. Well you see, the beauty of conditioning is that the victim - per very definition - is blisfully unaware of it.

And given your former post was filled to the very brim with xenophobic, highly subjective, utterly misconstrued content.. Let me just be the one to tell you.., you my good man, are one conditioned mofo.

(I mean 'mofo' in a friendly sort of way)

It is pretty well documented that once Mohammed had consolidated his position locally, he sough to expand and conquer neigbouring Christian and Jewish towns - which involved putting all men to the sword and seizing their women and booty,

Who exactly is beng conditioned here?

Edited by Philangeli, 06 December 2013 - 10:56 PM.

Philangeli aka Cantando

“When thoughts arise, then do all things arise. When thoughts vanish, then do all things vanish.”

#41    Phaeton80

Phaeton80

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

• "Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.."

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

View PostPhilangeli, on 06 December 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

It is pretty well documented that once Mohammed had consolidated his position locally, he sough to expand and attack neigbouring Christian and Jewish towns and conquer them - which involved putiing all men to the sword and seizing their women and booty,

Who exactly is beng conditioned here?

You seem to think I am the man in the OP vdo.

Im afraid I need to burst that bubble.

#42    Philangeli

Philangeli

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

View PostPhaeton80, on 06 December 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

You seem to think I am the man in the OP vdo.

Im afraid I need to burst that bubble.

Why do you say that?

Philangeli aka Cantando

“When thoughts arise, then do all things arise. When thoughts vanish, then do all things vanish.”

#43    Phaeton80

Phaeton80

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

• "Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.."

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

I will add that if you would actually take the time to read the book instead of using it like an encyclopedia, and take note of the (contemporary, cultural) context, you might just form a different opinion.

Edited by Phaeton80, 06 December 2013 - 11:06 PM.

#44    thyra

thyra

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostHares, on 06 December 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

I know I am angry - mostly because other people commit those crimes and they affect me and my loved ones directly or indirectly.

I'm not saying I'm perfect or a saint (I was born and raised in a predominantly christian country, so my speech is full of religious stuff, even my swearing).

A perceived anger is better than an anger that you hide all your life.

Being born a christian is a very good thing. Religions are not bad. All things in this world are here to serve you to get close to your inner truth..as long as you have such a desire of course.  when this desire is lacking many things remain hidden.

MHO is that religious texts are one of the best ways to try that because they sure strip you off your mind first when you read them and rebuild it from ground zero. Besides there is help from many spiritual people who read those texts and got closer to their meaning. People shouldnt fear religions or religious texts. This would be a mistake. they should be so open that eventually a christian should be able to see all world as hindu and take delight in it or a muslim should be able to do it for buddhism. This can only be done through proper understanding of religious texts at hand.

Posted Image

#45    Philangeli

Philangeli

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:10 PM

View PostPhaeton80, on 06 December 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

I will add that if you would actually take the time to read the book instead of using it like an encyclopedia, and take note of the (contemporary, cultural) context, you might just form a different opinion.

Have you actually studied the history of Islam?
It's got nothing to do with my opinion.
It's a fact that Islam condones the stoning of women because their husbands, on a whim, happen to say they are guilty of adultery.

Would you consider that to be 'peaceful' behaviour?

Edited by Philangeli, 06 December 2013 - 11:11 PM.

Philangeli aka Cantando

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users