Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Science Says “Smart People Are Idiots”

science intelligence psyche 1984

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31    third_eye

third_eye

¤_Ě M ă Ġ î ń Ć Ř Ī ü Ş_ ¤

• 6,831 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 08 December 2013 - 03:55 PM, said:

The school is looking for 3 wise men for the Xmas play..no body wants to be the donkey, and Joe's beard keeps falling off.So where do they get 3 wise men from, obviously not here. ...............

I'll play the donkey ... as long as I'm not the donkey's back end ... :yes:

~edit: page break dilemma

~

Edited by third_eye, 08 December 2013 - 04:13 PM.

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#32    Phaeton80

Phaeton80

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

• "Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.."

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

I was trying to point out the apparant newly emerging efforts to popularize ignorance.

#33    third_eye

third_eye

• 6,831 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

Its not new ... just much more prevalent ...

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

#34    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 14,774 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

A significant factor in the conclusion from the OP article, yet not considered by the authors, is that people are not taught to properly consider the questions asked. Also, we have a tendency to want to "think quickly" - perhaps too quickly - and this is partly down to the education system we grew up in allocating set time for examinations, etc.

So, I would disagree somewhat with the premise "smart people are stupid" as being innate, but that it is partly conditioned in to us.

Edited by Leonardo, 08 December 2013 - 06:44 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#35    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,027 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

View PostRyu, on 07 December 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

I still would like to know why the answer to the one about the lily pads covering half the lake is 47 instead of 24.
He spends all that time telling us what idiots we all are but doesn't bother to at least explain the first test question.
Because if the pad doubles in size every day the day before it covers the entire lake it would be half that size and so cover half the lake. So if it takes 48 days to cover the lake it would take 47 to half cover the lake. Did I just prove I was stupid?

#36    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

View Postqxcontinuum, on 08 December 2013 - 06:27 AM, said:

Actually it is . Smart ppl always would see so many potential probabilities a way/decision can turn that they won't be able to know which one is the most appropriate rational handling procedure,  making them looking like slow retards lacking spontaneity.

You are very right, that has it's draw backs in real life situations that require a  really quick decision.

Smart people have to develop a special way to handle those kind of things by preparing before hand on how to deal with certain probable situations so spontaneousness is learned by ignoring the details of less likely outcomes (that automatically go through their thoughts all the time!)  I noticed smart people who make that adjustment, tend to lose it after getting older, multitasking becomes more difficult, but they still excel in areas that require accurate analysis.

It is subjective how each person is defines smartness or being an idiot.  Everyone has to adapt to their abilities or disabilities and be able to put them to their best use.  Smart people and dumb people both have to face challenges to be able to use what ever they are given and be able to adapt in different ways.

#37    third_eye

third_eye

• 6,831 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

25 Amazing Savant Minds

Posted by David Pegg on  November 30, 2011

People & Politics

Savants, those legendary masters of mental mayhem. They are blessed with an oasis of talent in a desert of disability and ineptitude. Although they could probably tell you how many thread are in their shoelaces, tying them together would be an almost impossible task. Although savant syndrome is not an officially recognized medical disorder it is perhaps one of the least understood and scientists are still trying to figure out what is going on in the minds of the these amazing savants.

though some regards them as handicapped .... this one on the other hand ....

12/05/2013 @ 1:13AM |26,377 views

Why Eminem Calls Himself A Savant, And Why We Want To Believe Him

“I don’t know if I have the attention span to sit and read a sentence,” rapper Eminem recently told Rolling Stone, “So I don’t read.” Hip hop is the only thing that the 41-year-old, whose eighth album, The Marshall Mathers LP 2, currently tops the Billboard album chart, says he’s good at. “I don’t know how to do anything else. I think they have a word for that – what do they call it? Idiot savant?”

No ... Mr. Marshall Bruce Mathers III ... not exactly the word I have in mind ...

~

'

#38    il-Hares

il-Hares

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 263 posts

• If you have an imaginary friend, you're insane - if you share it with millions of people, you just founded a religion.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 08 December 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

Because if the pad doubles in size every day the day before it covers the entire lake it would be half that size and so cover half the lake. So if it takes 48 days to cover the lake it would take 47 to half cover the lake. Did I just prove I was stupid?

yes, could have quoted my post :P

#39    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,338 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 08 December 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

Sorry. I still don't follow. Why would it take 47 days to cover half the lake yet just one to cover the other half?
Because I do not follow this logic, I guess I am the one that is apparently stupid.  :P

Anyways..the article really didn't say anything convincing. I mean, people can be book smart as in memorizing facts from a book while some may have memorized facts from studying a particular topic and others memorize facts from what they experience but to call people "stupid" just because of some word games or whatever...it doesn't really prove a point.

(It's too early for me to think straight right now)

#40    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

Smart-Aleck people tend to get the answers to the questions right.  I think the article proved its false premise by asking questions that those who have had experience with this sort of question (out of the box thinking) will get but most people, who nevertheless think they are smart, won't get.

#41    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,338 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 09 December 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

Smart-Aleck people tend to get the answers to the questions right.  I think the article proved its false premise by asking questions that those who have had experience with this sort of question (out of the box thinking) will get but most people, who nevertheless think they are smart, won't get.

Ok..I am definitely stupid because I didn't understand what you just said.
"Smart alecks" get the questions right? How so?
And those who aren't "smart alecks" don't?

#42    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,027 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostRyu, on 09 December 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Sorry. I still don't follow. Why would it take 47 days to cover half the lake yet just one to cover the other half?
Because I do not follow this logic, I guess I am the one that is apparently stupid.  :P

Anyways..the article really didn't say anything convincing. I mean, people can be book smart as in memorizing facts from a book while some may have memorized facts from studying a particular topic and others memorize facts from what they experience but to call people "stupid" just because of some word games or whatever...it doesn't really prove a point.

(It's too early for me to think straight right now)
It's because it doubles every day so on day 47 it covers half the lake, On day 48 it doubles and so covers the whole lake, see? I think Frank Merton is right. It has more to do with outside the box thinking than just intelligence so much.

#43    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,027 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:39 PM

View PostRyu, on 09 December 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

Ok..I am definitely stupid because I didn't understand what you just said.
"Smart alecks" get the questions right? How so?
And those who aren't "smart alecks" don't?
It takes a devious or suspicious mind. The type that always suspects a trap or a trick more than just a purely intelligent or logical mind, I think. The difference between a great engineer vs a great chess player.

#44    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:20 PM

Well, I have had the horrid, displeasure to work with three different engineers......two of whom were MENSA members and reminded you constantly about how bloody smart their test scores said they were.......until they had to put it into practice and actually design something. The third was just lazy and used his smarts to get out of doing anything or being responsible for anything.

The three of them together couldn't design their way out of a wet paper sack in the real world. Oh they could come up with all sorts of super-duper, whiz-bang ideas that worked in theory but when it came time to apply them to the real nuts and bolts world they were as lost as a babe in the woods.

Can't tell you how many times I was called into my boss's office and told I needed to take over a project from one of them. I got to where when it happened I'd look at my boss and say, "Ok, how bad is it ****ed up this time?"

Edited by keninsc, 09 December 2013 - 11:22 PM.

#45    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,027 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:38 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 09 December 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

Well, I have had the horrid, displeasure to work with three different engineers......two of whom were MENSA members and reminded you constantly about how bloody smart their test scores said they were.......until they had to put it into practice and actually design something. The third was just lazy and used his smarts to get out of doing anything or being responsible for anything.

The three of them together couldn't design their way out of a wet paper sack in the real world. Oh they could come up with all sorts of super-duper, whiz-bang ideas that worked in theory but when it came time to apply them to the real nuts and bolts world they were as lost as a babe in the woods.

Can't tell you how many times I was called into my boss's office and told I needed to take over a project from one of them. I got to where when it happened I'd look at my boss and say, "Ok, how bad is it ****ed up this time?"
I've had similar experiences with engineers

Also tagged with science, intelligence, psyche, 1984

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users