Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Puma Punku: New Dating Project Underway

• Please log in to reply
1137 replies to this topic

#1    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

The principal investigator, David Swenson, received his PhD in 1975 from the University of Wisconsin and is now semi retired in the Phoenix Arizona area. He has been involved in a multiplicity of different projects which require problem-solving and outside the box thinking. This project will be carried out to support the work of Brien Foerster, of Cusco Peru, who has been involved in the study of ancient people and their associated megalithic buildings. Samples of andesite stone from Tiwanaku and Puma Punku that have come from the megaliths will be shipped from Peru. David will photograph, measure and forward the samples to the PRIME laboratory at Purdue University for analysis and dating of the stone based on beryllium-10 production from cosmic rays by way of accelerator mass spectrometry.

Read More:

http://www.indiegogo...s-at-puma-punku

Interesting is that recent excavations (2012) have exposed a wall that comprises red stand stone which is very weathered and also andesite which is in better condition.

An excellent review of the site and it's relics which should throw up some interesting points for discussion.

http://www.youtube.c...WoNaxbb-0#t=162

Posted Image

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 11,172 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

I didn't think there was a test that could date stone.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#3    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

Traveler of both time and space

• 4,127 posts

• I shall now proceed to entangle the entire area

Posted 07 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 07 December 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

There are ways to tell the age of at least some stones but not when they were dug out of the ground and put in place

#4    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:25 PM

Puma Punku is without a doubt the most interesting site in South America. Just amazing.

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#5    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,325 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

The project is not underway.

The attempt to collect funds from individuals to pay for this project is underway.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#6    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,357 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

Today I have learned that the translation of Tiahuanaco is "sit down, little llama."
So this location must be at least very friendly!

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#7    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostHarte, on 07 December 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

The project is not underway.

The attempt to collect funds from individuals to pay for this project is underway.

Harte

Part of the project involves collecting funds first.  My word we are pedantic.

Edited by zoser, 08 December 2013 - 03:19 PM.

Posted Image

#8    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,127 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

View Posttoast, on 08 December 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Today I have learned that the translation of Tiahuanaco is "sit down, little llama."
So this location must be at least very friendly!
Sit down little llama? That is kind of cool.

#9    Willie B Herd

Willie B Herd

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

• No evidence doesn't automatically mean it's impossible.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

View Postspacecowboy342, on 07 December 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

There are ways to tell the age of at least some stones but not when they were dug out of the ground and put in place

I was reading that the lowest layer of the 3 gravel fills PP was built on was carbon-dated as put into place @ approx. 436-600 AD....BUT I thought the same thing, and still do. (And then I, almost cut my hair... :whistle: )

Not sure if the following method will work either...."dating of the stone based on beryllium-10 production from cosmic rays by way of accelerator mass. spectrometry." :unsure2: The stones could've been exposed to the sun for millenium before being put to use.

I've read Tia meant 'stone in the center' (of the world) and 'island in the center...'

Edited by Willie B Herd, 08 December 2013 - 09:58 PM.

ONLY STONE STANDS THE TEST OF TIME.

The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

#10    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,127 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

View PostWillie B Herd, on 08 December 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

I was reading that the lowest layer of the 3 gravel fills PP was built on was carbon-dated as put into place @ approx. 436-600 AD....BUT I thought the same thing, and still do. (And then I, almost cut my hair... :whistle: )

Not sure if the following method will work either...."dating of the stone based on beryllium-10 production from cosmic rays by way of accelerator mass. spectrometry." :unsure2: The stones could've been exposed to the sun for millenium before being put to use.

I've read Tia meant 'stone in the center' (of the world) and 'island in the center...'
To be carbon dated a stone would either have to either have carbon in it's make up ie carbonate or be covered with soot or ash. I guess it's possible. (Don't do it some of my worst mistakes have been hair cuts)

#11    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,048 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:31 AM

View PostSir Wearer of Hats, on 07 December 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

Radiometric dating (often called radioactive dating) is a technique used to date materials such as rocks, usually based on a comparison between the observed abundance of a naturally occurring radioactive isotope and its decay products, using known decay rates

https://en.wikipedia...iometric_dating

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#12    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,325 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:55 AM

Radiometric dating tells when the stone formed.

Organic materials under the construction cannot be younger than the construction itself.  It is organics found under the site that have been dated - using radiocarbon methods.

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#13    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:11 AM

Here is a Puma Punku-documentary. I haven't seen it myself yet. It is from the Ancient Alien.series so I don't know how "far out there" it is on the alien-archaeology theory. But I bet it is interesting anyway, regardless what you think of the ancient alien-theory.

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#14    spacecowboy342

spacecowboy342

• 4,127 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:20 AM

#15    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 5,121 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:47 AM

Whomever can do whatever dating studies they want and Puma Punku will STILL not have been constructed by aliens.

"You do not teach the paths of the forest to an old gorilla."

"It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired - you quit when the gorilla is tired."

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users