Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

How about some computer advice...............


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1    Myles

Myles

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,502 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

My current desktop has seen it's last days.    Time for an upgrade.
I'm at a price range of $300 - $400.
I don't play many games, but will play a racing game and my daughter will play her Sims game.
I am considering a laptop, but it is not totally needed because I have a tablet for sitting on the couch messing around.   A laptop would be nice though.
I have a good monitor, so that is not a must.  

After doing a bit of looking, I'm narrowing it down (but not limiting it to) to these 2.

http://www.officedep...aptop-Computer/



http://www.officemax...ci_sku=23871801


Let me know what you think and if you have some advice for me.


Thanks in advance.


#2    Ryu

Ryu

    Born to fail.

  • Member
  • 4,495 posts
  • Joined:17 Dec 2010
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Where you'll never find me

  • If not watched closely, the seed of violence can utterly consume you.

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

Personally I would opt for the second one from OfficeMax.
Why? For one a tower is better since you can add or replace things whereas on a laptop you cannot. I like the 8 gigabytes of ram and believe me, it won't ever be wasted. A high end processor will be of no use if you do not have the RAM to make things run efficiently.

I don't know how much memory Windows 8 uses so it is better to have more.

HOWEVER I would make sure the motherboard is not limited to proprietary products so you can use whatever brand parts you want.

Also..if you are computer savvy then I would opt to build one yourself, tower, motherboard, the whole works. This way you can put on the HD what you want and it won't be bogged down with bloatware that will slow down your machine.

I like laptops too but if something goes wrong, as it seems inevitable, then I doubt repairs will be readily available nor affordable or even worth it.


#3    third_eye

third_eye

    _ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

  • Member
  • 12,259 posts
  • Joined:06 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Malaysia

  • - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

    "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

links won't work for me ... what's the rig you're thinking of replacing ? and what exactly is the problem ? sometimes just a software maintenance is all that is needed ...

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer


#4    Myles

Myles

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,502 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:17 AM

View Postthird_eye, on 08 December 2013 - 10:16 PM, said:

links won't work for me ... what's the rig you're thinking of replacing ? and what exactly is the problem ? sometimes just a software maintenance is all that is needed ...
It's an old one I had built a few years ago.   Low RAM, not a good motherboard.   Not expandable at all.   I've done a fresh reinstall but it's just not able to keep up anymore.   My wife tries using Publisher on it, but it's just too old.   I'll end up using the parts and mixing and matching other parts I have to get a running machine for my daughter.   She gets the old and I get the new and shiney. :yes:

I'd like to stay over 2 GHz with at least 6 GB RAM.   Hard drive doesn't matter too much.    

I've thought about building from scratch, but that seems to be much more expensive.  
CPU, motherboard, memory, power supply, hard drive, DVD drive, (maybe a case and video card).   Not to mention an OS.


#5    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,409 posts
  • Joined:31 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Deep South

  • We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:17 AM

My Lenovo Windows 8 laptop is pretty good.  No real problems.  I paid less than $350.

Windows 8 is a bit different. Amazon is still selling a few new laptops with Windows 7.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#6    Myles

Myles

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,502 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:35 AM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 09 December 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

My Lenovo Windows 8 laptop is pretty good.  No real problems.  I paid less than $350.

Windows 8 is a bit different. Amazon is still selling a few new laptops with Windows 7.

Would you avoid Windows 8?   Even with the 8.1 update?


#7    il-Hares

il-Hares

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Joined:06 Dec 2013
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Malta

  • If you have an imaginary friend, you're insane - if you share it with millions of people, you just founded a religion.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:07 AM

I tried 8.1, as usual until you get used to a new system, its a bit annoying, but its ok. quite handy


#8    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,821 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

View Postlittle_dreamer, on 09 December 2013 - 01:17 AM, said:

My Lenovo Windows 8 laptop is pretty good.  No real problems.  I paid less than $350.

Windows 8 is a bit different. Amazon is still selling a few new laptops with Windows 7.

You can downgrade to windows 7 for free.




#9    Orcseeker

Orcseeker

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,821 posts
  • Joined:15 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostRyu, on 08 December 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

Personally I would opt for the second one from OfficeMax.
Why? For one a tower is better since you can add or replace things whereas on a laptop you cannot. I like the 8 gigabytes of ram and believe me, it won't ever be wasted. A high end processor will be of no use if you do not have the RAM to make things run efficiently.

I don't know how much memory Windows 8 uses so it is better to have more.

HOWEVER I would make sure the motherboard is not limited to proprietary products so you can use whatever brand parts you want.

Also..if you are computer savvy then I would opt to build one yourself, tower, motherboard, the whole works. This way you can put on the HD what you want and it won't be bogged down with bloatware that will slow down your machine.

I like laptops too but if something goes wrong, as it seems inevitable, then I doubt repairs will be readily available nor affordable or even worth it.

I don't think HP make motherboards and the components inside are generally your standard brands last time I checked (work at the Australian equivalent of OfficeMax).

I would second the notion of building your own.

The Intel 2500 graphics would handle the sims I imagine but not sure about your racing game. The intel graphics range gets pretty decent around the 5000 mark


#10    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 39,720 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

View PostOrcseeker, on 09 December 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

I don't think HP make motherboards and the components inside are generally your standard brands last time I checked (work at the Australian equivalent of OfficeMax).

I would second the notion of building your own.

The Intel 2500 graphics would handle the sims I imagine but not sure about your racing game. The intel graphics range gets pretty decent around the 5000 mark

I'll third that. You will get more for your money and if you are capable of putting a connector on a board you should have no problem.

Edited by questionmark, 09 December 2013 - 06:19 PM.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#11    third_eye

third_eye

    _ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

  • Member
  • 12,259 posts
  • Joined:06 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Malaysia

  • - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

    "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:02 AM

View PostMyles, on 09 December 2013 - 12:17 AM, said:

It's an old one I had built a few years ago.   Low RAM, not a good motherboard.   Not expandable at all.   I've done a fresh reinstall but it's just not able to keep up anymore.   My wife tries using Publisher on it, but it's just too old.   I'll end up using the parts and mixing and matching other parts I have to get a running machine for my daughter.   She gets the old and I get the new and shiney. :yes:

I'd like to stay over 2 GHz with at least 6 GB RAM.   Hard drive doesn't matter too much.

I've thought about building from scratch, but that seems to be much more expensive.  
CPU, motherboard, memory, power supply, hard drive, DVD drive, (maybe a case and video card).   Not to mention an OS.

depends on what you plan to use it for  I guess ... building from scratch only saves money with the not so current architecture ... I think the i5s is the current bargain CPUs ... compare the prices based on generation ... not brand ... that's the only thing I can think of at the time being considering the circumstances ... good luck !

~

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer


#12    Wickian

Wickian

    Doppelganger

  • Member
  • 4,607 posts
  • Joined:11 May 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA

  • Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:58 PM

It would be cheaper to just buy pieces individually and put it together yourself.


#13    Myles

Myles

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,502 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostWickian, on 17 December 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

It would be cheaper to just buy pieces individually and put it together yourself.

It didn't add up that way for me.    Mostly the OS puts it well over.
I tried a few different set ups, and came out ahead with a new.   Just had to look and find a new unit that didn't skimp on parts I needed.    I didn't need a great sound card.    I didn't need anything but a basic DVD writable drive.


#14    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 39,720 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

View PostMyles, on 17 December 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

It didn't add up that way for me. Mostly the OS puts it well over.
I tried a few different set ups, and came out ahead with a new.   Just had to look and find a new unit that didn't skimp on parts I needed. I didn't need a great sound card. I didn't need anything but a basic DVD writable drive.

There is no law prohibiting you to use your current OS as long as you scrap your old machine.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#15    third_eye

third_eye

    _ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

  • Member
  • 12,259 posts
  • Joined:06 Nov 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Malaysia

  • - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

    "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:03 PM

There is no law prohibiting you to use your current OS as long as you ' scrap ' your old machine.

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users