Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Nine Beers Americans No Longer Drink

beer consumers united states

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

Beer is not selling the way it used to. U.S. sales of the beverage declined in four of the past five years. Between 2007 and 2012, beer sales fell by 2.3%, or more than 4.8 million barrels.

This overall drop in beer sales is yet another challenge many of the once most popular U.S. brands have to overcome as they continue to lose market share. According to data provided by Beer Marketer's Insights, American sales of nine major brands, including the once top-selling Budweiser, declined by more than 25% over the past five years. Michelob Light's U.S. sales declined by nearly 70%. The following are the nine beers Americans no longer drink.

9. Labatt Blue
  • Sales loss (2007-2012): 28.3%
  • Brewer: Anheuser-Busch Inbev S.A./N.V. (NYSE: BUD)
  • Barrels sold (2012): 650,000
8. Budweiser
  • Sales loss (2007-2012): 28.8%
  • Brewer: Anheuser-Busch Inbev
  • Barrels sold (2012): 16,800,000
7. Heineken Premium Light
  • Sales loss (2007-2012): 36.7%
  • Brewer: Heineken International
  • Barrels sold (2012): 440,000
6. Milwaukee's Best Light
  • Sales loss (2007-2012): 39.7%
  • Brewer: MillerCoors
  • Barrels sold (2012): 1,110,000
5. Old Milwaukee
  • Sales loss (2007-2012): 54.0%
  • Brewer: Pabst Brewing Company
  • Barrels sold (2012): 400,000
4. Miller Genuine Draft
  • Sales loss (2007-2012): 56.4%
  • Barrels sold (2012): 1,390,000
3. Milwaukee's Best Premium
  • Sales loss (2007-2012): 58.5%
  • Barrels sold (2012): 650,000
2. Budweiser Select
  • Sales loss (2007-2012): 61.5%
  • Barrels sold (2012): 625,000
1. Michelob Light
  • Sales loss (2007-2012): 69.6%
  • Barrels sold (2012): 350,000

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2013/12/09/nine-beers-americans-no-longer-drink-2/

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#2    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,998 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:33 PM

Are we sure these drops in sales are not just sales these pis-water giants are losing to actuall brewers like manny's and pyramid?  I drink more beer than I used to because you can now buy good beer.  (Hint: for those who don't know, if it's advertised on TV it's not good beer)

#3    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

View PostOverSword, on 09 December 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

Are we sure these drops in sales are not just sales these pis-water giants are losing to actuall brewers like manny's and pyramid?  I drink more beer than I used to because you can now buy good beer.  (Hint: for those who don't know, if it's advertised on TV it's not good beer)

This all day. I can't even remember the last time I had an American beer - and that includes the child companies like Corona.

Anyone who isn't 17 should be able to taste the difference between a quality brew and the American stuff. (I have heard this is largely due to how chemically treated the American beers are, in order to speed up the fermentation process to meet large-scale demand)

Edited by Dark_Grey, 09 December 2013 - 11:40 PM.

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#4    George Ford

George Ford

smile

• 2,819 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:44 PM

Those 'beers' listed are actually pretty nasty lagers apart Millers which I think is OK, the rest of them taste like cheap lager that has been watered down. They need to brew tasty beer that can be drank at 'room temperature' and enjoyed IMO.

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,998 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 09 December 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

This all day. I can't even remember the last time I had an American beer - and that includes the child companies like Corona.

Anyone who isn't 17 should be able to taste the difference between a quality brew and the American stuff. (I have heard this is largely due to how chemically treated the American beers are, in order to speed up the fermentation process to meet large-scale demand)
You are so wrong.  By far the best beers are brewed in the USA these days, you just have to spend more and they may not be exported to Canada and they definetly do not advertise on TV.

check these

or this

or for more generalized

#6    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,499 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:54 PM

View PostOverSword, on 09 December 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

You are so wrong.

Opinions. I was speaking mainly of the "advertised" beers listed above. I do like my Heinie's, though. Guiness for when I'm in the mood for a sipping brew.

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#7    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,998 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 09 December 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

Opinions. I was speaking mainly of the "advertised" beers listed above. I do like my Heinie's, though. Guiness for when I'm in the mood for a sipping brew.
LOL!  Sipping and brew are not to be used in the same sentence! :lol:

#8    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,605 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

I never did like the regular Budweiser though the Bud Light Platinum is ok.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much skepticism can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#9    George Ford

George Ford

smile

• 2,819 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:07 AM

View PostOverSword, on 09 December 2013 - 11:56 PM, said:

LOL!  Sipping and brew are not to be used in the same sentence! :lol:

I think 'Quaff' is the world he was looking for. :su

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#10    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:17 AM

View PostOverSword, on 09 December 2013 - 11:33 PM, said:

I am confident that the American craft brew industry playing its part in this.  I can see about finding figures later, but breweries that are 'craft beers' oriented have been growing steadily that last 10 years or so.  AnheuserBusch has tried to get on the craft beer market by buying other small breweries and attempting to make their own craft beers, but irregardless, a large portion of AB's business is their light lager(s).

View PostDark_Grey, on 09 December 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

America has some fairly solid craft beers that are supreme to those mentioned in the article.  Which, in my opinion, is why these are declining.  Light/pale lagers are meant to appeal to the most people, and that is achieved by essentially being bland.  Not too hoppy, not too alcoholic, and not too flavorful.

I don't think much is done to speed up the fermentation process, but certainly AnheuserBusch adds either corn and/or rice sugars to their beers to keep it light in color and taste, and increase the alcohol content a bit.  Cheaper ingredients.  That being said, it does take a high degree of skill to make the same product, every day, without variation.  It's just not that great.  Coors, Millers, and Bud are for the most part, are identical beers.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#11    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,457 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:38 AM

View PostInsanity, on 10 December 2013 - 02:17 AM, said:

Coors, Millers, and Bud are for the most part, are identical beers.

Except that Miller tastes the most like puked up urine water.

Edit: Can't say p***, it would seem.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 10 December 2013 - 03:38 AM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#12    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:43 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 10 December 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

Except that Miller tastes the most like puked up urine water.

Edit: Can't say p***, it would seem.

Doesn't Bud Light?

#13    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,457 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:46 AM

View PostInsanity, on 10 December 2013 - 03:43 AM, said:

Doesn't Bud Light?

Yes. And so does Coors. But Miller tastes the MOST like it.

I know. I've done tests. :yes:

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 10 December 2013 - 03:47 AM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

#14    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,712 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:48 AM

I can't believe how popular Pabst Blue Ribbon has gotten. Now that is some nasty tasting beer.

#15    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

• 4,457 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 03:51 AM

View PostMichelle, on 10 December 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

I can't believe how popular Pabst Blue Ribbon has gotten. Now that is some nasty tasting beer.

It is one of the most vile liquids on this planet, yet the hipsters treat like ambrosia of the gods.

Oh how I hate hipsters.

Also tagged with beer, consumers, united states

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users