Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Vast undersea freshwater reserves found

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,150 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

An international team of scientists has discovered huge quantities of fresh water underneath the ocean.

The researchers estimate that there could be up to 500,000 cubic kilometers of water locked beneath the sea on continental shelves all around the world. The find could prove extremely significant in the years to come as water shortages become an ever-increasing problem.

http://www.unexplain...-reserves-found

#2    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

A resource that one day will become more precious than gold itself.

#3    cachibatches.

cachibatches.

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

I don't think that there are going to be the great water shortages that are projected. The technology is currently extant to desalinate water- which means that a virtually endless supply is there for the taking. It is currently expensive to build the plants, but I imagine that just like anything else, it will get cheaper with practice and innovation.

#4    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,532 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

Three pieces of technological news today that were very encouraging.  This story, one about how graphite can transform the world and one about how it looks we may be able to cheaply recover and store vast amounts of CO2 in certain mines.

With all the fear about technology, it is good to keep in mind that this is what may save our civilization and provide a wonderful future for our children.

#5    paperdyer

paperdyer

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:48 PM

This is akin to the huge aquafers (sp?) under the desert in Arizona.  One was so large a Paper Company was building a paper mill on top of one.  They never finished it as the company was bought by a competitor and eventually shut down.

#6    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,175 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

Where I live (Alicante, Spain) we are already supplied by de-salination plants at a cost that is much lower than the costs for groundwater supply in the UK.

Desalination works, and with the economies of scale means that in the future there will be no supply shortage of drinking water

#7    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,527 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

"The volume of this water resource is a hundred times greater than the amount we've extracted from the Earth's sub-surface in the past century since 1900," said study lead author Vincent Post.

Very interesting indeed.

#8    Ralaman

Ralaman

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 148 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:16 PM

Something else for Halliburton to view as his...

#9    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

This is very exciting...the freshwater shortage dilemma has been weighing on my mind as of late.

"It's a good season for Squatchin"

#10    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:36 PM

I hope it isn't scarfed up as the oil supply has and overpriced so that the normal human being can't afford it, let alone the poor.  That is what I see happening; having water held hostage by the elite and meted out instead of money for services rendered.

#11    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,856 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:31 AM

At least a fresh water spill will do less lasting harm to sea life than an oil spill, should history repeat itself.

#12    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,564 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:05 AM

View Postkeithisco, on 10 December 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

Where I live (Alicante, Spain) we are already supplied by de-salination plants at a cost that is much lower than the costs for groundwater supply in the UK.

Desalination works, and with the economies of scale means that in the future there will be no supply shortage of drinking water

Agreed but certain groups of people need to claim future shortages of this, that and the other will bring about the human demise.  Water shortages on a planet which surface is two thirds covered in water and many parts several miles deep.  Without de-salination maybe fresh water could be a future issue but it is already used very successfully in various places around the globe.

Posted Image

#13    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• 1,551 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:24 AM

To be honest,future projects drilling for this buried resource has exploitation written all over it.Future populations forced to pay extremely over inflated prices for a resource essential to our survival.

#14    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,564 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

View Postshaddow134, on 12 December 2013 - 04:24 AM, said:

To be honest,future projects drilling for this buried resource has exploitation written all over it.Future populations forced to pay extremely over inflated prices for a resource essential to our survival.

We already do in the UK.  A country that has reputation for raining constantly always seems to have a water shortage.  My water rates are now equivalent to my energy bills a year.  As it is not based on usage there is nothing you can do rather than put up and shut up.

Posted Image

#15    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 4,179 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

This link is good too:

http://www.sci-news....cean-01606.html

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users