Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mars One mission to launch lander in 4 years

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,650 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Company planning mission to Mars with 200,000 willing volunteers unveils plan for satellite and lander it intends to launch in just four years

* Candidates include a Swedish prison guard and a stand-up comedian
* Hopefuls said they would pack items such as a ukulele and a fluffy mongoose
* 200,000 people around the world have signed up for one-way mission
* Between 24 and 40 candidates will be chosen for the Mars One programme

Mars One announced Tuesday that it has hired Lockheed Martin Space Systems and Surrey Satellite Technology to design a satellite and lander that it intends to launch in just four years.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2n9ocjj9G

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#2    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 2,286 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

Polluting foreign planets with idiots is not in compliance with Darwin`s laws, so the evolutionary power will avoid it.

Edited by toast, 11 December 2013 - 10:37 AM.

"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"Don't kill the golden goose." - Malcolm McLaren -
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -
"Good drivers do have smashed insects on the side windows" - Walter Röhrl -

#3    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 11 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

I can think of a few people in public office I would like to "volunteer" for the journey......

#4    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

Is this still rolling on? Only Kamikaze pilots need apply.

#5    MJNYC

MJNYC

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 142 posts

• The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. Mohandas K. Gandhi

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Wow, so glad to see that you all are thinking the same thing.  I just keep thinking you'd have to be out of your mind.  why would anyone do this? LOL

#6    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 1,753 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

It just feels like too much, too soon.

Imagine the waiver the successful candidates would need to sign!

Posted Image

#7    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,127 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

I'm sure that when the Polynesians decided to set sail on their one way voyages there were naysayers that said they were stupid. Fortunately the naysayers were ignored, the Polynesians spread throughout the Pacific and prospered.

Personally I don't think the time is right for this, we simply don't know enough to guarantee the safety of the intrepid voyagers. I'm also not convinced that "reality" TV is the correct reason to do this, but the idea is right. If mankind is to become a multi-planet species (and we will need to if we wish to survive) then one day colonists from Earth will need to make the one way voyage to other planets.

This is not suicide, this is progress; the next logical evolutionary step for humanity.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#8    Calibeliever

Calibeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

• The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. - Thomas Carlyle

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

One of the things missing from this concept that helped fuel human global expansion through the centuries is resources. New lands meant new sources of food, raw materials and wealth. The possibility of those made the risk of leaving home worthwhile. Mars doesn't seem to currently offer any of these niceties, so it stands to reason that this effort is doomed from the start. Personally I don't see the point, unless of course it's another Golgafrincham trick, ergo the "B" ark ... hehe, then I'd be in favor :) [ref: Douglas Adams]

#9    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

I'm sure that when the Polynesians decided to set sail on their one way voyages there were naysayers that said they were stupid. Fortunately the naysayers were ignored, the Polynesians spread throughout the Pacific and prospered.

Personally I don't think the time is right for this, we simply don't know enough to guarantee the safety of the intrepid voyagers. I'm also not convinced that "reality" TV is the correct reason to do this, but the idea is right. If mankind is to become a multi-planet species (and we will need to if we wish to survive) then one day colonists from Earth will need to make the one way voyage to other planets.

This is not suicide, this is progress; the next logical evolutionary step for humanity.

This. ^
Even if they sadly do perish, we will have gained valuable insight inside space colonization from their attempt :/

#10    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• 1,446 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 11 December 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

Exactly. If we want a fantastic omelete, we're going to have to be ready to break a few eggs. Like the first monkeys shot in to space, sacrifice can be necessary evil.

But who knows - the mission may go incredibly smoothly and all of the "astronauts" may live long lives on the red planet's surface...

View PostMJNYC, on 11 December 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

Wow, so glad to see that you all are thinking the same thing.  I just keep thinking you'd have to be out of your mind.  why would anyone do this? LOL

Haven't you ever wanted to do something extraordinary? There are fewer and fewer "firsts" that one can claim in this day and age. This opportunity to forever be recorded in history as the FIRST human being to set foot on Mars is nothing short of incredible. I don't want to live the same life a thousand others have, just flickering into existence and going out just as quick. As silly as some aspects of Mars One may be, it's a little short-sighted of you to dismiss the whole program without seeing this for what it really is:

The first ever mission to put human beings on another planet.

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#11    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 8,650 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

View PostDark_Grey, on 11 December 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

The first ever mission to put human beings on another planet.

Who face certain death in a media circus like the movie The Running Man... living your two or 3, or less - last years in a capsule that would drive many potty in months...

But someone has to go...

And yes from my words you can tell Im hesitant about it all...But Id rather the technology/food production/water supply etc would all be sorted first...

The England team visited an orphanage in Brazil today. “It’s heartbreaking to see their sad little faces with no hope” .....said Jose, age 6.
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#12    mesuma

mesuma

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:49 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 11 December 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

Hold on, the Polynesians could still breath oxygen, eat food, and hunt for supplies and if anything went wrong maybe still had a chance of surviving to tell the tale.  This is hardly setting out on a boat across the ocean to find new lands. This is heading into space with no guarantee of results, no chance of return and very very possibly a crew of idiots piloting your rocket fueled coffin, not seasoned sailors/fishermen/navigators.  Sorry to disagree, man but there is a very big chance this is suicide.

#13    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,663 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

I will go If someone pays my way ! :nw:

This is a Work in Progress!

#14    coolguy

coolguy

Psychic Spy

• 1,766 posts

• Star trek rules

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:40 AM

I hope this is true and not just science fiction . And I hope they put a base on the moon in our life time I wanna see it

#15    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• 1,293 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

I can't see this happening.

When you think about it  Nasa and the Russian space agency have been working for decades to try to solve how that would get astronauts just to survive the journey there.  

These jokers think they with find a solution to this, build a rocket capable of the journey and carry many tonnes of equipment in about a decade.

I would imagine they will need many launches to carry that sort of volume and weight, each launch the travel time is 6 months.  So it will be at least 6 months per launch before you will know it is successful.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users