Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Who are the most significant people ever?

steven skiena charles war significant people thinkers tyrants

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,358 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:00 PM

Leaders of men, great thinkers, tyrants - these are the figures who have shaped our world. But whose contribution is the most significant?

http://uk.news.yahoo...4889-slideshow/

Posted Image

#2    flbrnt

flbrnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

I would put Karl Marx above Adolph Hitler as his influence was more pervasive and lasted longer. Also put John Locke ahead of the American founding fathers as the country was based on his ideas. Plato should be on the list as both Christianity and Judaism are forms of Neoplatonism. Christianity, especially, shows its influence. Galileo deserves a place for initiating modern science.

#3    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,855 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

POPULAR

Oh I give up...I really do!

First, my Knighthood's got lost in the post, then the flippin' Pope pulls divine strings to get himself voted Person of the Year in front of me, now I discover I didn't even make the short list for the accolade of 'Your Friendly, Neighbourhood Tyrant!'

I'm gonna sulk down the pub!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#4    Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko

Who's to say what is proper?

• 2,987 posts

• "Is this your last best chance? Or are you going to your grave with unlived lives in your veins?"

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Jesus Christ without a doubt.

Martin Luther King Jr. One of the most significant individuals to ever live. Wish he was still alive.

#5    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

View Postealdwita, on 11 December 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

First, my Knighthood's got lost in the post, then the flippin' Pope pulls divine strings to get himself voted Person of the Year in front of me, now I discover I didn't even make the short list for the accolade of 'Your Friendly, Neighbourhood Tyrant!'

Looks like we will have to wait for our Knighthood and settle for the MID’s…

Get one in for me while you’re there and a nice Whiskey chaser..I will be an hour behind you, and no doubt several drinks by then! :tu:

Posted Image

#6    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,678 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

View Postealdwita, on 11 December 2013 - 06:42 PM, said:

My wife offered to crown me several times... So I guess I'm ahead of you on that score...

And I am currently running for World Emperor, on a platform of "Hey I can't possibly be worse than these clowns"... My political party
has recently doubled in size, after the drunk in the pub last night agreed with my booze befuddled ramblings - so we are the fastest growning political party in the US (200%!)....

Edited by Taun, 11 December 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#7    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,295 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

I say no body is significant or everybody is significant, depending on your point of view.

edit for: I would not have guessed Shakespear would be in the top ten but I can't disagree with that pick.

Edited by OverSword, 11 December 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#8    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,847 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

Miley Cyrus.

View Postflbrnt, on 11 December 2013 - 06:08 PM, said:

I would put Karl Marx above Adolph Hitler as his influence was more pervasive and lasted longer.
As you can see, he's pleased about that.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#9    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,847 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

"authors Steven Skiena and Charles War have ordered the most influential based primarily on Wikipedia pages - looking at the length of individual entries, how many times an entry has been viewed, how many sites link to an entry and how rich an entry's references section is"

Using the length of one's Wikipedia entry as the criterion sounds a really scientific method. :unsure2: What next? The number of views on YouTube?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#10    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,302 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

My father, he taught me about card counting. Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#11    PersonFromPorlock

PersonFromPorlock

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

• Few things do more harm than the belief that life should be Dramatic.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:10 AM

God knows. First fire user, first stone chipper, first scribe, the guy who came up with the concept of the zero... It's nobody we can name. The people we can name are basically froth on a very deep sea.

Edited by PersonFromPorlock, 12 December 2013 - 02:11 AM.

#12    seaturtlehorsesnake

seaturtlehorsesnake

has a cape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:21 AM

ok, they need to re-title that list to "the people who have been written about a lot". seriously, that is not necessarily a good gauge of significance. i'd have liked to see good old charlie darwin on there, at any rate. also the person who invented the belgian waffle.

#13    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,277 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

Clearly Darwin was the most influential of the nineteenth century and I suppose Einstein or one of the founders of quantum mechanics for the twentieth.

Scientists don't get the fame the enduring importance of their activity warrants.  Political figures tend to be seen above them, but what they do is transitory and washes out in the flow of history after a few centuries.  Artistic and literary figures have enduring importance, but not the way scientists do.  Religious leaders are mostly either charlatans or myths or delusional.

#14    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,697 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:18 AM

View PostPersonFromPorlock, on 12 December 2013 - 02:10 AM, said:

God knows. First fire user, first stone chipper, first scribe, the guy who came up with the concept of the zero... It's nobody we can name. The people we can name are basically froth on a very deep sea.

First farmer, first to domesticate animals, first boat maker...

No, you hit the nail on the head. They get my vote.

#15    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,855 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:11 AM

Statesmen, scientists, great warlords, giants of medicine....they all become mere blurry also-rans in the presence of the living proof of God's love for mankind......The first Brewer!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users