Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dinosaur extinction mechanism finally revealed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:58 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: Wikimedia Commons</strong>
Image credit: Wikimedia Commons
Alexander Popoff: In 1980, Science magazine published a dinosaurs-killed-by-a-giant-asteroid theory by Luis Alvarez.   Critics asked how creatures outside the impact area were killed.  Alvarez replied: “From darkness.  The impact created huge amounts of dust, cutting off the sun’s power by up to 20% for 8 to 13 years.” Actually, the “dark times” lasted much longer - about 100,000 years, and started a long time before the impact events.

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,624 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:16 PM

That was an awesome read.  Easy to understand and comprehensive at the same time.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#3    Peter B

Peter B

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:44 PM

Interesting theory. I'd like to know if someone knowledgeable about topic time could confirm whether the theory is compatible with the survival of non-mammalian creatures like crocodiles, turtles, birds and frogs.

#4    SameerPrehistorica

SameerPrehistorica

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

• !! NO SPECIES LASTS FOREVER !!

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

Why this news is not in any other site ?

Posted Image

#5    Neognosis

Neognosis

Telekinetic

• 7,159 posts

• Just try not to hurt anybody, ok?

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Finally revealed? Here in NY, we've been teaching this to kids in grade school since the 70's.

I'd like to know if someone knowledgeable about topic time could confirm whether the theory is compatible with the survival of non-mammalian creatures like crocodiles, turtles, birds and frogs.

I heard another theory that hypothesized that debris blown up past the atmosphere from the impact burning up as it was pulled back to earth would have increased the air temperature into the several hundreds, and vaporized anything not underground or under mud or water instantly. The people who support this theory point to a thin layer of glass particles found at the extinction point in the geological record.

However, I can't find a link to this theory, apologies. I heard it on Radio Lab.

#6    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,172 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostPeter B, on 13 December 2013 - 02:44 PM, said:

Interesting theory. I'd like to know if someone knowledgeable about topic time could confirm whether the theory is compatible with the survival of non-mammalian creatures like crocodiles, turtles, birds and frogs.
Not a theory but there have been fossils found after the KT line event

#7    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,172 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:41 PM

View PostNeognosis, on 15 December 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

Finally revealed? Here in NY, we've been teaching this to kids in grade school since the 70's.

I heard another theory that hypothesized that debris blown up past the atmosphere from the impact burning up as it was pulled back to earth would have increased the air temperature into the several hundreds, and vaporized anything not underground or under mud or water instantly. The people who support this theory point to a thin layer of glass particles found at the extinction point in the geological record.

However, I can't find a link to this theory, apologies. I heard it on Radio Lab.
Wasn't there a dinosaur extinction program on youtube? with that theory?

#8    Mark56

Mark56

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

• "The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing."

Socrates

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:00 AM

What really happened to the Dinosaurs:

http://senseofevents...-dinosaurs.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users