Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Example of how our system lacks justice

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:18 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=us_c1

Yeah, I've had some friends get DUI's and serve several weeks in jail, and they didn't even wreck or hurt anybody.  Guess they should've been born to a wealthy family instead of being a commoner.

Summary of article:

16 year old steals beer, drives drunk (3x legal limit, .24), kills 4 people, gets 10 years probation because he suffers from "affluenza", which means he's spoiled and doesn't know any better.  No jail time.

#2    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,164 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

I agree with you about this child getting off way too easily, green. However, I don't think that jail is the answer for dui infractions. I like the device I've heard about requiring a driver to breathe into a device before the vehicle can be started. Those who wreck and hurt/kill someone else should have that plus a few years volunteering at a hospital where they have to deal directly with people who are injured in some way.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#3    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,611 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Money talks.

He described Couch as "emotionally flat," but told the court he could be rescued with at least two years of therapy and no contact with his parents.
Couch's father, Fred Couch, owner of a Fort Worth sheet metal manufacturing company, has agreed to pay for the treatment, Opposing Views said. Couch's lawyers are recommending a $450,000-a-year rehabilitation facility in Newport Beach, Calif.

Article

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#4    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,620 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:53 PM

i hope relatives of ppl he killed take him to civil court and sue his family for every single penny they got

RESIDENT TROLL.

#5    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,069 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:55 PM

View Postaztek, on 12 December 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

i hope relatives of ppl he killed take him to civil court and sue his family for every single penny they got

It won't be every penny... by what I understand, Texas has caps on their civil lawsuits.

#6    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

View PostChild of Bast, on 12 December 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

I agree with you about this child getting off way too easily, green. However, I don't think that jail is the answer for dui infractions. I like the device I've heard about requiring a driver to breathe into a device before the vehicle can be started. Those who wreck and hurt/kill someone else should have that plus a few years volunteering at a hospital where they have to deal directly with people who are injured in some way.

DUI infraction?

He KILLED FOUR PEOPLE, almost killed a fifth, and left another in an almost vegetative state.  In some states it's even considered murder if you kill someone while under the influence.

No, probation and delivering flowers in a hospital aren't enough for *******s like this.

Edited by Rafterman, 12 December 2013 - 05:06 PM.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#7    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,620 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 12 December 2013 - 04:55 PM, said:

It won't be every penny... by what I understand, Texas has caps on their civil lawsuits.

i wonder what does texas law says about killing 4 ppl while driving drunk.

may be the relatives could "stay their grounds" , :whistle:

Edited by aztek, 12 December 2013 - 05:07 PM.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#8    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,226 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Justice is served, as long as you pay it enough.

#9    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,169 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

British Justice is about the same,I  guess the judges all have something in common,they're all lunatics and fall over backwards to help the accused.And defence lawyers have no conscience as long as they win.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#10    Razer

Razer

Psychic Spy

• 1,570 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:55 PM

The judge is almost asking for one of the parents to take matters into their own hands with such a travesty of justice.

Edited by Razer, 12 December 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#11    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,276 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

Wow this makes my brain hurt. He should be going to jail for vehicular manslaughter/homicide/whatever it would be for the deaths at the very least.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#12    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:13 PM

Apparently, he also had Valium in his system as well.....

Couch's blood alcohol reading was .24 and he also had a Valium in his system after he and a group of friends stole alcohol from Walmart, drank it and later piled into his pick-up truck.

Link: http://www.dailymail...l-hes-rich.html

This isn't the first time he's been in trouble with the law either.....

June's car crash wasn't the first time underage drinking had got Couch in trouble.
In February of this year, in the town Lakeside, northwest of Fort Worth, police found Couch with a 12-ounce can of beer and a 1.75-liter bottle of vodka in the early hours and gave him two citations - one for being a minor in possession of alcohol, the other for consuming alcohol as a minor.

And it gets worse....

Psychologist G. Dick Miller testified for the defense that Couch suffered from "affluenza," a condition in which "his family felt that wealth bought privilege and there was no rational link between behavior and consequences," KHOU reported.
Miller said Couch's parents never punished him for his behavior, even when, in a separate incident, cops found him passed out in a car with a naked 14-year-old girl.

Link: http://www.huffingto..._n_4426722.html

Edited by Kowalski, 12 December 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#13    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,783 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

First offense in Mississippi you can get a 2 day stint in jail and about 1000 dollar fine + court costs and the joy of never working for MANY companies again - EVER.  But if you have 5 thousand to throw to an attorney, suddenly it can go away like it never happened UNLESS you get a second one.  It's all about clipping the folks for cash on that first offense - which almost anyone could be guilty of at some point.  I am NOT defending DUI - it has horrible consequences and should be dealt with severely - but it should be dealt with equally for all.

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#14    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,409 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostKowalski, on 12 December 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

Apparently, he also had Valium in his system as well.....

This isn't the first time he's been in trouble with the law either.....

And it gets worse....

Link: http://www.huffingto..._n_4426722.html

And I wonder how many more graves he's going to fill thanks to this ruling.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#15    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

View PostRafterman, on 12 December 2013 - 07:51 PM, said:

And I wonder how many more graves he's going to fill thanks to this ruling.

I'm wondering the same thing. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users