Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

What kind of object did stopped the drilling

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1    diablo_04

diablo_04

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• I reject your reality and substitute my own

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:48 PM

Bertha, which is digging the new Highway 99 tunnel, has been stopped since Friday, about 60-feet underground due to the unidentified obstruction. Bertha, which is digging the new Highway 99 tunnel, has been stopped since Friday, about 60-feet underground due to the unidentified obstruction. Bertha, which is digging the new Highway 99 tunnel, has been stopped since Friday, about 60-feet underground due to the unidentified obstruction.

Posted Image

I reject your reality and substitute my own

My site :D Workout tips

#2    tinysbox13

tinysbox13

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

• "**** Happens"

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

Interesting, thanks for posting!

cogito ergo sum

#3    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,176 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:10 PM

View Postdiablo_04, on 12 December 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

Bertha, which is digging the new Highway 99 tunnel, has been stopped since Friday, about 60-feet underground due to the unidentified obstruction. Bertha, which is digging the new Highway 99 tunnel, has been stopped since Friday, about 60-feet underground due to the unidentified obstruction. Bertha, which is digging the new Highway 99 tunnel, has been stopped since Friday, about 60-feet underground due to the unidentified obstruction.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Edited by toast, 12 December 2013 - 08:12 PM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#4    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

Who knows.  I'm betting it's probably something mundane and ordinary though.  It's a pretty common occurrence for construction crews run into things underground that aren't supposed to be there or are supposed to be somewhere else.  In a lot of cases, they're working with maps that could be 100+ years old.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#5    stereologist

stereologist

Alien Abducter

• 4,394 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

I would guess that it is something that would make the area above unstable such as a pile of boulders. There would be voids that could cause collapses. We'll find out shortly.

#6    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

What I heard on the news (so take it with a grain of salt lol) said the drill hit something to hard to penetrate o.O

#7    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,557 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

It could be wartime bombs (depending on the country), concrete pours from previous construction works, sewerage tunnels, forgotten utilities routes, underground rivers, archaeological sites - the list is endless. One thing it almost certainly isn't is a "new age mystery".

Edited by Emma_Acid, 12 December 2013 - 09:51 PM.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#8    diablo_04

diablo_04

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

• I reject your reality and substitute my own

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:32 PM

The drilling has stopped because they failed to go true the object (the drills are made to go through a solid rock, so I can only imagine what is standing in their way ).

Posted Image

I reject your reality and substitute my own

My site :D Workout tips

#9    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:43 AM

Most Likely a really big rock.

SEATTLE -- Diagnosing what has blocked a boring machine working on a highway tunnel under downtown Seattle, and figuring out what to do, could take about two weeks, the project director for Seattle Tunnel Partners said Wednesday.

LINK

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#10    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,557 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:34 AM

View Postdiablo_04, on 12 December 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

The drilling has stopped because they failed to go true the object (the drills are made to go through a solid rock, so I can only imagine what is standing in their way ).

There is not such thing as "solid rock" - or more accurately it can mean a huge amount of different things. Most likely the drill is designed to go through the types of rock they were expecting to encounter - and they hit a vein of much harder, more compact rock.

And as for not being able to imagine whats in their way, I've already given you a list.

This is one of the things that does do my head in a bit about these "new age mystery" posts - people present something they don't understand as a mystery, refuse to listen to any rational explanation, and will only perk up when someone mentions something like aliens.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,397 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:39 AM

Oh they just need excuses for going overbudget and overtime.

#12    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

Actually, those giant boring machines are designed to go through specific types of rock. People think they're like a giant drill bit like the ones you buy at the hardware store and you can drill through very nearly anything with them. That's simply not the case with these monsters, if they are designed to bore through compacted clay then rock with stop them cold. If they are designed to go through limestone and they hit granite, yep, stopped cold again.

Bigger does not always mean better or all you have to do is simply crank it up and push harder on the drill. The good news is the cutter inserts can be changed out to something that will handle whatever is giving it trouble now. They have to figure out what they're up against.

#13    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:34 AM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 13 December 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

This is one of the things that does do my head in a bit about these "new age mystery" posts - people present something they don't understand as a mystery, refuse to listen to any rational explanation, and will only perk up when someone mentions something like aliens.

They will have an answer in two weeks, so that leaves little time for wild speculation :D

Best they get in while the going is good.

Edited by psyche101, 17 December 2013 - 01:34 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#14    hacktorp

hacktorp

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

The part of Seattle they are tunnelling through is artificially built up with some 40 feet of fill dirt that was washed down with high-powered hoses from surrounding hills over 100 years ago in a massive re-grade project.  There is all kinds of man-made junk that is potentially in there.

I'm gonna speculate they've hit steel railroad rails running parallel to the tunnel which, if indeed the case, will be a major headache for the tunnel project.

#15    Xynoplas

Xynoplas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

View Postpsyche101, on 17 December 2013 - 01:34 AM, said:

They will have an answer in two weeks, so that leaves little time for wild speculation :D

Best they get in while the going is good.

I'm not saying it's aliens, but... :alien:

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” -The Buddha

http://bugsinspace.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users