Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

First evidence:Dinosaur had fleshy head crest

fleshy head ornaments head crests edmontosauraus regalis roosters comb

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,346 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:30 PM

A mummified dinosaur provides the first evidence the scaly animals had fleshy head ornaments, scientists say.

The preserved remains of the duck-billed dinosaur Edmontosauraus regalis were discovered in Alberta, Canada.

Analysis revealed the previously unknown feature which experts compared to a rooster's comb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/25260312

Posted Image

#2    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,477 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

Poseurs.

#3    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,697 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:08 PM

View PostEldorado, on 12 December 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

Poseurs.

Or Poseursaurs, perhaps?

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,330 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

Rooster-o-saurous.

I originally read that the dinosaur was mummified (Another article on this dino). But then I thought that can't be right, because it would still be flesh and bone. Apparently they meant that it mummified and then was fossilized.

My speculation is that this fleshy comb was what led to the other hadrosaurs having bony projections on their heads. If the comb was desirable, then a dino with a bony bump under it making the comb taller, or larger, might have been even more desirable and thus the plethora of different hadrosaur skull types.

Posted Image

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    TheGreatBeliever

TheGreatBeliever

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 221 posts

• My god its almost year end again!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:15 AM

An oversized rooster

#6    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:19 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 19 December 2013 - 01:28 AM, said:

Rooster-o-saurous.

I originally read that the dinosaur was mummified (Another article on this dino). But then I thought that can't be right, because it would still be flesh and bone. Apparently they meant that it mummified and then was fossilized.

My speculation is that this fleshy comb was what led to the other hadrosaurs having bony projections on their heads. If the comb was desirable, then a dino with a bony bump under it making the comb taller, or larger, might have been even more desirable and thus the plethora of different hadrosaur skull types.

Posted Image
Yeah, fossilized mummified remains have been a big boon towards understanding how dinosaurs looked and their musculature.

I remember reading a while back that the view of the noses of dinosaurs had been mistaken as well. Bigger, fleshier schnoz for the plant eaters.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#7    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:21 AM

Interesting.

#8    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

Cockasauraus Rex?

#9    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:04 PM

The fleshy crests on fowl are a distinguishing characteristic for breed and health as well as for cooling in lieu of perspiration. One has to wonder if these creatures were "warm blooded" and also used the crest in a similar manner.

#10    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:26 AM

View Posthighdesert50, on 20 December 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

The fleshy crests on fowl are a distinguishing characteristic for breed and health as well as for cooling in lieu of perspiration. One has to wonder if these creatures were "warm blooded" and also used the crest in a similar manner.
As I recall, the theropods were warm blooded, while the largest dinosaurs were what's called gigantothermic. And the marine reptiles have been found to have been warm blooded as well.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#11    Duchess Gummybuns

Duchess Gummybuns

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• I would like to believe, but the Government covers it up as a weather balloon.

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:42 PM

Fleshy things on their heads?

Y'know, for the ladyasaurs...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users