Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Evidence of Water Vapor Venting off Europa

jupiter europa water hubble nasa

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,812 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

Hubble Space Telescope Sees Evidence of Water Vapor Venting off Jupiter Moon

www.nasa.gov said:

NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope has observed water vapor above the frigid south polar region of Jupiter's moon Europa, providing the first strong evidence of water plumes erupting off the moon's surface.

Previous scientific findings from other sources already point to the existence of an ocean located under Europa's icy crust. Researchers are not yet fully certain whether the detected water vapor is generated by erupting water plumes on the surface, but they are confident this is the most likely explanation.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,812 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:43 AM

Illustrated fly-by of Europa's plumes (artist's impression)

This animation shows the newly-discovered water vapour plumes on Jupiter's moon Europa. This artist's impression uses actual Jupiter and Europa images in visible light. The Hubble ultraviolet images showing the faint emission from the water vapour plumes have been superimposed, respecting the size but not the brightness of the plumes.

Credit: NASA, ESA, and M. Kornmesser.
Science Credit: NASA, ESA, L. Roth (Southwest Research Institute and University of Cologne, Germany), J. Saur (University of Cologne, Germany), K. Retherford (Southwest Research Institute), D. Strobel and P. Feldman (Johns Hopkins University), M. McGrath (Marshall Space Flight Center), and F. Nimmo (University of California, Santa Cruz)

Source: ESA Hubble Site

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,812 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:47 AM

Flying past Europa’s plumes (artist’s impression)

This artist's impression shows the newly-discovered water vapour plumes on Jupiter's moon Europa from a different perspective. It shows Jupiter and its moon Europa using actual Jupiter and Europa images in visible light. The Hubble ultraviolet images showing the faint emission from the water vapour plumes have been superimposed, respecting the size but not the brightness of the plumes.

NASA, ESA, and M. Kornmesser
Science Credit: NASA, ESA, L. Roth (Southwest Research Institute and University of Cologne, Germany), J. Saur (University of Cologne, Germany), K. Retherford (Southwest Research Institute), D. Strobel and P. Feldman (Johns Hopkins University), M. McGrath (Marshall Space Flight Center), and F. Nimmo (University of California, Santa Cruz)

Source: ESA Hubble Site

Posted Image
Click on button

#4    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

Maybe we can send Jeremy Wade to Europa to go ice fishing for "critters."

#5    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,468 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

I want to go fishing on Europa.

Edited by GreenmansGod, 13 December 2013 - 11:03 PM.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#6    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,578 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:07 AM

View PostGreenmansGod, on 13 December 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

I want to go fishing on Europa.

Bring you own worms, the nearest bait store is several hundred million miles away, give or take a mile.

#7    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,812 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

I'm no expert on fishing, but wouldn't it make sense to find out if there are actually fish there first?

If you want to sit in the vacuum of space at an average temperature of -160oC (-260oF) whilst being rapidly irradiated by Jupiter's Van Allen Belts don't let me stop you, but it seems rather a pointless worm drowning exercise if all that is present is microbial life or, worse still, no life is present at all.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf, 14 December 2013 - 02:16 AM.

Posted Image
Click on button

#8    Realm

Realm

• 2,017 posts

• "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:23 PM

Imagine if it were possible to stand on Europa and watch a geyser of that magnitude. Probably awesome
and terrifying at the same time.

#9    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,968 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 14 December 2013 - 02:15 AM, said:

I'm no expert on fishing, but wouldn't it make sense to find out if there are actually fish there first?

they don't go for the fish, they go for the experience ;)

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#10    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Psychic Spy

• 1,413 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:56 AM

Wondering what type of creatures are lurking in those icy waters?

#11    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 13,046 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:05 AM

If you want to sit in the vacuum of space at an average temperature of -160oC (-260oF) whilst being rapidly irradiated by Jupiter's Van Allen Belts don't let me stop you, but it seems rather a pointless worm drowning exercise if all that is present is microbial life or, worse still, no life is present at all.
Extreme ice fishing.

#12    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,578 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

Well, if you're going to go to all that trouble, you might as well bring bait, lol.

#13    Xynoplas

Xynoplas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

It may be possible that the NASA guys can analyze the light bouncing off that bit of water and find out more about it: isotopes of water and other chemicals that might suggest potential nutrients.
At least, any new surface probe won't need to burrow through miles of ice. Yay!

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” -The Buddha

http://bugsinspace.wordpress.com/

#14    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,578 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:41 PM

View PostXynoplas, on 16 December 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

It may be possible that the NASA guys can analyze the light bouncing off that bit of water and find out more about it: isotopes of water and other chemicals that might suggest potential nutrients.
At least, any new surface probe won't need to burrow through miles of ice. Yay!

Aw, I want video beneath the ice!

#15    Xynoplas

Xynoplas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostSundew, on 16 December 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Well, if you're going to go to all that trouble, you might as well bring bait, lol.

That's what the no-return Mars colony is for!  :cry:

Edited by Xynoplas, 17 December 2013 - 06:15 PM.

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” -The Buddha

http://bugsinspace.wordpress.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users