Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

WWI Xmas truce football match to be recreated

christmas truce football match wwi emmendingen ypres

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,363 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

A football club is to play a "Christmas truce" match at the spot where one of the famous World War One games is thought to have taken place.

A local historian came up with the idea after reading letters sent home by Private William Setchfield from Newark.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...mshire-25349891

Posted Image

#2    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,167 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

I doubt if they will find any WW1 soldiers about these days on both sides.
But we will remember them.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#3    TopToffee

TopToffee

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:00 AM

I respect what the heroes did during WW1..and all wars where Britain are involved... but the act of playing football was not the only wartime grace.A major taken prisoner was allowed to go home for his mothers funeral on the understanding that he would return back as a prisoner of war.And he did too.Damn fool

#4    Mr.United_Nations

Mr.United_Nations

hi

• 9,304 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostTopToffee, on 14 December 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

I respect what the heroes did during WW1..and all wars where Britain are involved... but the act of playing football was not the only wartime grace.A major taken prisoner was allowed to go home for his mothers funeral on the understanding that he would return back as a prisoner of war.And he did too.Damn fool
Also a german fighter plane saved an American Bomber from near destruction

#5    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,950 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

Because of these truces - who was the British General who was summoned back by parliament to explain what had gone on and why the men had stopped fighting? because the Christmas truces were numerous. not just a one off.

Edited by stevewinn, 14 December 2013 - 10:43 AM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#6    TopToffee

TopToffee

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 231 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:24 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 14 December 2013 - 10:43 AM, said:

Because of these truces - who was the British General who was summoned back by parliament to explain what had gone on and why the men had stopped fighting? because the Christmas truces were numerous. not just a one off.
The one I know of is Sir Horace Smith-Dorien.I read up on him once and he was quite a character apparently.Cant see the lads out in Afghan being afforded the luxury.

#7    Ealdwita

Ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 5,275 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:46 PM

Fraternization wasn't limited to the Christmas period. Right through 1914 and well into 1915, opposing forces observed ceasfires and short 'truces', especially in order to collect the wounded or when working out in the open. Cigarettes and rations were swapped in the more inactive areas quite frequently.

Bear in mind though, these activities never occurred in areas where the Prussians held the opposing trenches!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users