Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Humans are not smarter than animals

humans animals most intelligent smarter

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,995 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:34 PM

For many years, humans have believed we are the most intelligent beings on the planet. However, evolutionary biologists are now claiming that some members of the animal kingdom may in fact have superior brains - we just don't recognise their intelligence.

http://www.independe...em-9003196.html

Posted Image

#2    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,240 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hell ... most humans hardly recognise their own stupidity most times ...

~

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#3    LEGIONS

LEGIONS

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 267 posts

• We never know how we look ,til we get our picture took

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

we indeed never know how we look til we have our picture took

Posted Image

#4    DancingCorpse

DancingCorpse

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

• Finite to fail, infinite to venture!

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:18 PM

I know a lot of the time I prefer hanging out with my puppy, it's a true blessing to observe how she interacts/perceives/manipulates everyday objects and forms her own amusement and rapport with the.

Much of what we use to raise ourselves above animal instinct and behaviour is provided by machines or services anyhow, most of us would have to learn a lot to replace such tools. We all inhabit the same planet yet have our own resources and self-application, none seem superior. We go to the hospital if we're injured, call the police if there's danger, get therapy if we're devastated, countless animals somehow survive for a long time with things or inconveniences that would crush us. Could interpret that as dumber but they're just on a different wavelength I guess.

They are child-like in their cocoons and impulses yet are confident in their ability to provide and satiate needs.So much superfluous junk we bother ourselves with (I'm talking in a survival sense here) is streamlined into a simple (to us) path. They are in constant paranoia yet seem so peaceful. Sometimes you wonder whether much of our race are dumber than animals or just don't fulfill their potential, could animals exceed them if given similar resources as our societies somehow?

So much you can bring to such a topic.

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air and deep beneath the rolling waves, in labyrinths of coral caves, The echo of a distant tide comes willowing across the sand and everything is green and submarine...

You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill.

#5    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,113 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

I'm a big advocate for animal intelligence. However, I honestly do not see any other species as being "more intelligent" than humans. Let's face it, no other species can manipulate the environment to insure their survival, not even to mention science, art, music, literature. Like I say, when my dogs can take care of my every need (food, housing, medical) then they can be the boss...until then, I'm the 'smartest'.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#6    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,688 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

This is nonsense.

#7    tyrant lizard

tyrant lizard

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:26 PM

Ridiculous to suggest that certain animals are smarter than humans because they can scent mark and we can't smell it.

Dolphins, elephants and great apes probably have levels of intellect we can't understand, but that doesn't mean they are smarter than humans, it just means they're smarter than we think they are.

#8    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,688 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 14 December 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

For many years, humans have believed we are the most intelligent beings on the planet. However, evolutionary biologists are now claiming that some members of the animal kingdom may in fact have superior brains - we just don't recognise their intelligence.

http://www.independe...em-9003196.html

We need to respect animals more, this is true.  Also we need to understand that cruelty to animals affects us in more ways than we can understand.  What makes us 'worse' than animals, if that word must be used is because we are intelligent in ways that animals can't be.  They are limited by instinct, we are not, that is why we can be so self destructive in our actions.   We over eat, work ourselves to death, kill one another on a massive scale, because we can do it, animals cannot.  Of course I know I am also an animal, just with a higher brain.  When we discover a life form other than our own that has some sort of culture, music, philosophy, then perhaps we can talk about it being more intelligent.  Animals are better than us in many ways when it comes to survival.  thy are stronger than we are, run faster, climb higher, and yes fly.  They are one with nature in ways that we human cannot even begin to understand, we stand outside, apart, we are self-aware to the point of being tortured about it.   We are self aware, self centered, also short sighted to the point of being brainless, yet we survive because of our intelligence.  We protect ourselves by building, make our lives easier by inventing, seek meaning through religion and philosophy, psychology and learn about the world through science......so far no other life form on this planet is capable of doing that.....but I am open to being proven wrong.

Edited by markdohle, 15 December 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#9    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:14 PM

Intelligent is showing the ability to easily learn or understand things or to deal with new or difficult situation. An antonym, stupid, is showing a lack of ability to learn, tending to make poor decisions or careless mistakes and understand things. Now consider, for example, application of intelligent and stupid with regard to: boundaries and subsequent warfare, resources and subsequent environmental impact, procreation and subsequent overpopulation, self-preservation and subsequent self-indulgence Are we really intelligent?

#10    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:52 PM

No one wants to be told that the creature we put on the table at dinnertime is an intelligent being, so we measure their intellect by our standards.  I believe they may be as intelligent as humans in their own way.  Few of us could survive a cold winter outside, naked and alone, with nothing but our claws and teeth and wits to survive, but they do.

#11    mushymopman

mushymopman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

• trust all your senses

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

I will hold my hand up, i always thought animals where dumb, but after observing them more closely i have changed my views, and have a new found respect for them.

#12    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,289 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

We are animals.

So it's a given that "some animals are as smart as humans", because "some animals" are humans.

It's this artificial separation of "human" from "animal" that leads to our arrogant belief in "human exceptionalism".

Edited by Leonardo, 15 December 2013 - 03:45 PM.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#13    mrknownothing

mrknownothing

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Guess we're not talking about the ones that haven't figured out to look both ways before crossing the road.

#14    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 7,240 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

'Intelligence' is not about making 'money' or 'hoarding' material things for 'attachment' ...
the world that we created for ourselves to help us believe we are more than what we naturally are is 'the illusion' ...
when those are no longer available, and that will not take much, when we are again back in the bosom of Gaia ... we will become as helpless as sucklings once again ...
what then will become of us ? what will this 'intelligence' the we boast so highly of now will be of any help to us then ?

Have you ever starved in the middle of the jungle due to an unexpected thunderstorm just because there is not a grocery/sundry shop or mall fifty miles all around ? You have all the money you need to keep from starving but still you starved till the morning and only until then you can even hope to attempt to seek any kind of nourishment ... I was 'awakened' while I starved ...

~

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#15    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,618 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

I have a service alert  dog and I know for a fact she is smarter than I am. The worst part is she learned her alert behavior from the cat. They know before I do my legs will give out and I fall.  It took me three falls to figure out what the cat was telling me with the leg tap and the run to the bedroom for me to lay down.   Then the dog picked it up.  I was able to make the dog a service dog so I can take her anywhere I go.   I am really grateful for what they do for me. I am just a stupid tailless monkey, after all.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users