Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Humans are not smarter than animals

humans animals most intelligent smarter

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31    Ralaman

Ralaman

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

Wickian, on 16 December 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

Yeah, I don't think so.  Try again when you can find a group of animals making tools that's only purpose is to make/improve other tools, build shelter out of more than a single raw material(twigs/mud) or create a language complex enough pass along any concept or intent.  Or fire.  Find me an animal that can make fire and cook food.

Octopi have been seen using tools to capture food, same goes for apes and chimpanzees. I guess since they cant make rap music or swindle the public out of billions they are just mindless creatures.

#32    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,862 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

Intelligence is not just about being 'smart' it is also about being not 'smart' ...

Of course much has been made about out surviving and evolving the animals of the past ... but then no other animal engages in habitat destruction ... species annihilation ... indiscriminate killings spawned solely by murderous intent ... how many species can we name just at the top of our heads right now that is due to nothing else but the 'intelligent' human's talent for killing ?

'It looks no more like a Dodo than I do ... " Mark Twain ...

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#33    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 3,208 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:27 AM

Now if we can just them thumbs they will rule the world. LOL

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#34    stevemagegod

stevemagegod

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

• "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"-Neil Armstrong

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:17 AM

Lilly, on 14 December 2013 - 06:57 PM, said:

I'm a big advocate for animal intelligence. However, I honestly do not see any other species as being "more intelligent" than humans. Let's face it, no other species can manipulate the environment to insure their survival, not even to mention science, art, music, literature. Like I say, when my dogs can take care of my every need (food, housing, medical) then they can be the boss...until then, I'm the 'smartest'.

Apes have been known to morn and bury there dead. Monkeys have also been known to chuck random **** at invaders in order to ward them. That is a form of using "tools".

#35    markdohle

markdohle

Alien Abducter

• 4,861 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 07:43 PM

Leonardo, on 15 December 2013 - 11:40 PM, said:

There is a very good argument for humans being amongst the most stupid of all animals.

After all, we have these incredible natural gifts and look at what we choose to do with them.

Yeah we build cities, create beautiful works of art, write literature, philosophy and psychology, do science, create environments that we can survive in,  we have music and dance, we love and hate, build and destroy, have religion, kill one another over it, like we do sports and politics, been to space, and may destroy ourselves in a stupid war because we are very intelligent but emotionally immature and  we still have to struggle to be rational.  We can do this because we have a higher brain and have the ability to be the way we are.  Other animals, as wonderful as they are can't do that.  They are not better than us, they can  only be who they are.  So yes we have done a lot, but at a cross roads, we may make a wrong turn and end up back in the ice age once again, this time perhaps permanently.  There is a price to pay for being as intelligent as we are, a heavy one I believe.

Edited by markdohle, 18 December 2013 - 07:43 PM.

#36    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,043 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

Azznerak the Black, on 16 December 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

Octopi have been seen using tools to capture food, same goes for apes and chimpanzees. I guess since they cant make rap music or swindle the public out of billions they are just mindless creatures.
They use sticks and rocks.  I'll be impressed if they start sharpening the sticks or using the rock for more than the crack open a shell.  They're not mindless, but they are from being more intelligent that humans.

#37    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,862 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

Just because a chimp beats me one time out of three it isn't considered as intelligent ?

- a movie line from somewhere ... I don't remember ... intelligent blackout ? :cry:

~

~

#38    Ad hoc

Ad hoc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

• A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

When an animal writes an article with an air of righteousness self-deprecation I'll be impressed.

Jests aside, I do think we oversimplify in terms of an intelligence scale. An experiment I read about a while back is a fascinating example: If you flash the numbers 1-10 in random order within a second in front of a human being, the chances they'll get it right are almost zero.
If you do the same thing with a chimp- they'll get it right almost 100% of the time (presumably for a food reward). Now that's nuts. Consider that numbers probably don't even mean anything to them and are just shapes... certainly worth a chin scratch.

If there's anything that animal intelligence research has shown us over the last decade, it's that there are a range of distinct faculties involved in intelligence, and it can be pretty surprising where individual faculties crop up.

#39    Socio

Socio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:55 AM

Considering man is the only animal that deviated from natures path of a survival of the fittest or natural selection way of life, instead placing the unfit above the fit, severely weakening the human species on a global scale I would say all other animal species are smarter than man.

Edited by Socio, 19 December 2013 - 04:01 AM.

#40    Wickian

Wickian

Doppelganger

• 4,043 posts

• Save it for Queen Doppelpoppellus!

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:08 AM

I judge a species overall intelligence mainly on ingenuity.  Some animals can process very specific processes better than us, but their overall thinking is too linear to be considered more intelligent than us.

#41    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,862 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:42 AM

Are you smarter than a chimp?

Ayumu is a 7-year-old chimpanzee... Can you beat Ayumu in this memory test?
Inoue and Matsuzawa from Kyoto University used the 'limited-hold memory task' to show that their chimps can out-perform college students. Watch Ayumu, then take the test below to see if your memory is as good as a chimp's!
  • luminosity games link (flash player required)

Chimpanzees Beat Humans In Memory Tests

Posted: 09/30/2013 1:52 pm EDT  |  Updated: 09/30/2013 1:53 pm EDT

Unless someone has been monkeying around with the research data, chimps are making chumps out of humans when it comes to memory tests.
In an interview published this Sunday in the Guardian, Tetsuro Matsuzawa, a professor at Kyoto University's Primate Research Institute in Inuyama, Japan, explains three decades of research have led him to the firm conclusion that chimpanzees have much better short-term memories than people.

• Huffington Post link

Chimps are making monkeys out of us

Justin McCurry
The Observer,
Sunday 29 September 2013

Extraordinary research from Japan shows that chimpanzees are way ahead of humans in complex memory tests

We know the chimps and many animals have shown in tests that they have the cerebral capacity ...

~

~

~

#42    Calle

Calle

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 98 posts

• Everyone but few seeks Perfection, the few that does not seek it knows that perfection is impossible, because perfection is unachievable

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

create biological weapon that targets all Insect's & Animals on planet, Done. we're superior.

#43    Xynoplas

Xynoplas

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:12 PM

"'Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” -The Buddha

http://bugsinspace.wordpress.com/

#44    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,862 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:45 PM

^

"'Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Albert Einstein ...

~

~

#45    Ad hoc

Ad hoc

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

• A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:26 PM

Xynoplas, on 19 December 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

One of Einstein's more patronizing statements, made in the general vein of the false modesty we require of our intellectual elite so that everyone can feel warm and fuzzy.
Reality check: Everybody is not a genius.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users