Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Foundation Stone

the key to peace?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 13,554 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:31 PM

The Foundation Stone

The Foundation Stone  is the name of the rock at the heart of the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem. It is also known as the Pierced Stone because it has a small hole on the southeastern corner that enters a cavern beneath the rock, known as the Well of Souls. It is the holiest site in Judaism (Midrash Tanhuma, chapter 10); Jewish tradition views it as the spiritual junction of Heaven and Earth. Jews traditionally face it while praying, in the belief that it was the location of the Holy of Holies in the Temple.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Very interesting.  I've always known about the Dome of the Rock...I'd never read until now about the Foundation Stone and what it is and why it is so influential to both Jews and Muslims.
I believe that this Rock is the key to peace in the middle east.  I don't know how...it just seems like the actual Foundation Rock is what all the fighting is really about.  I always thought it was oil.  I am now rethinking that.
Perhaps the Muslims fear that eventually, if left unfettered, the Jews will destroy the dome and rebuild the Temple of Solomon...and they are probably right.
Read about the Foundation Stone...it is very interesting.

Posted Image

Edited by joc, 15 December 2013 - 03:35 PM.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#2    joc

joc

• 13,554 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#3    joc

joc

• 13,554 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

Could this be The Star of David?
The Star seen over the stabel in Bethlehem?  What is this?

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#4    joc

joc

• 13,554 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:59 AM

The above video has been proven to be a HOAX...sorry...

Nonetheless...the Foundation Rock is real...it is what it is...the most important piece of real estate in the history of mankind.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#5    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:16 AM

View Postjoc, on 16 December 2013 - 12:59 AM, said:

The above video has been proven to be a HOAX...sorry...

Nonetheless...the Foundation Rock is real...it is what it is...the most important piece of real estate in the history of mankind.
Be nice if these gods could space out their properties. Save a little bit of hassle fr their followers.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#6    joc

joc

• 13,554 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:36 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 16 December 2013 - 01:16 AM, said:

Be nice if these gods could space out their properties. Save a little bit of hassle fr their followers.
You mean  this God...there is only one God associated with the Foundtion Stone.  Three main religions on Earth, Judaism, Islam, Christianity...all with major ties to this rock.  All worhip the same God. The God of the Rock.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#7    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:43 AM

View Postjoc, on 16 December 2013 - 01:36 AM, said:

You mean  this God...there is only one God associated with the Foundtion Stone.  Three main religions on Earth, Judaism, Islam, Christianity...all with major ties to this rock.  All worhip the same God. The God of the Rock.
Each religion takes a different view on the same god, to the point the differences equate to different religions.
The Christian interpretation of god is much different than the Jewish interpretation which is different than the Muslim interpretation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#8    joc

joc

• 13,554 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:54 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 16 December 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

Each religion takes a different view on the same god, to the point the differences equate to different religions.
The Christian interpretation of god is much different than the Jewish interpretation which is different than the Muslim interpretation.
Right...I'm just very interested in the significance of this one spot to all three.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#9    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:26 AM

View Postjoc, on 16 December 2013 - 01:54 AM, said:

Right...I'm just very interested in the significance of this one spot to all three.
It got adopted as a Muslim site later, probably from the absorption of Jews into Islamic tradition. Similar to how we see where Christians have adopted pagan sites into Christianity.
I made a mistake, while Jerusalem is important to Christianity, the Foundation stone itself isn't.

-Terry Pratchett

#10    joc

joc

• 13,554 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:32 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 16 December 2013 - 02:26 AM, said:

It got adopted as a Muslim site later, probably from the absorption of Jews into Islamic tradition. Similar to how we see where Christians have adopted pagan sites into Christianity.
I made a mistake, while Jerusalem is important to Christianity, the Foundation stone itself isn't.
Actually, I think it is.  One because it was where the Temple of Solomon was built..and Two, because Jesus taught at the Temple when he was 12.

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#11    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

View Postjoc, on 16 December 2013 - 02:32 AM, said:

Actually, I think it is.  One because it was where the Temple of Solomon was built..and Two, because Jesus taught at the Temple when he was 12.
It might be, but not nearly to the degree that it is to Jews and Muslims.

Much more important are the sites where supposedly Jesus was born and where he was supposedly interred.

-Terry Pratchett

#12    joc

joc

• 13,554 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:59 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 16 December 2013 - 02:37 AM, said:

It might be, but not nearly to the degree that it is to Jews and Muslims.

Much more important are the sites where supposedly Jesus was born and where he was supposedly interred.
Very true.
I am just working on a theory here...that the key to peace in the Middle East lies somewhere under the Dome of the Rock.
Perhaps the underlying reason why the Muslims wish Israel to ...go away...is because they fear that one day Israel will destroy the Dome of the Rock and rebuild the Temple of Solomon.  Is it possible that this one small place of Earth is the whole reason for all of the blood shed between Muslims and Jews in the 20th and 21st Centuries and perpaps...in all centuries?

Posted Image

ReverbNation

#13    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,954 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:15 AM

...I wish I believed peace in the Middle East could come through a rock and not the arduous process of making human beings act civilized to each other en masse.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#14    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:47 AM

View Postjoc, on 16 December 2013 - 02:59 AM, said:

Very true.
I am just working on a theory here...that the key to peace in the Middle East lies somewhere under the Dome of the Rock.
Perhaps the underlying reason why the Muslims wish Israel to ...go away...is because they fear that one day Israel will destroy the Dome of the Rock and rebuild the Temple of Solomon.  Is it possible that this one small place of Earth is the whole reason for all of the blood shed between Muslims and Jews in the 20th and 21st Centuries and perpaps...in all centuries?
Well, both religions have serious religious ties to the same spot, so naturally they are in conflict over it.
Part of the reason for the conflict has to do as much with the structuring of the area to jam Israel back in as a country as the religious beliefs, though.

The war between Christians and Muslims has been much longer and much bloodier. Though there are those that want to see Israel and the temple restored in order to bring about Revelations.

-Terry Pratchett

#15    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:48 AM

View Postjaylemurph, on 16 December 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

...I wish I believed peace in the Middle East could come through a rock and not the arduous process of making human beings act civilized to each other en masse.

--Jaylemurph
I'd rather believe that people need to work out their differences and learn to accept their differences than a magic rock personally. S'bit weird.

-Terry Pratchett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users