Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Creepy Telemarketer Sounds Human,

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,397 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

Creepy Telemarketer Sounds Human, Denies Being Robot

The phone call came from a charming woman with a bright, engaging voice to the cell phone of a TIME Washington Bureau Chief Michael Scherer. She wanted to offer a deal on health insurance, but something was fishy.

When Scherer asked point blank if she was a real person, or a computer-operated robot voice, she replied enthusiastically that she was real, with a charming laugh. But then she failed several other tests. When asked “What vegetable is found in tomato soup?” she said she did not understand the question. When asked multiple times what day of the week it was yesterday, she complained repeatedly of a bad connection.

LISTEN to the audio

Read more: Samantha West The Telemarketer Robot Who Swears She's Not a Robot | TIME.com

http://newsfeed.time...s-shes-a-robot/

and another take

With this level of advancement in customer service technology, how many more jobs can we expect to become automated out of existence?

http://www.activistp...unds-human.html

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#2    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,397 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

another take

The Only Thing Weirder Than a Telemarketing Robot

When a salesperson named Samantha West called a Time reporter, she seemed like a computer. But with current technology, it might not be possible to build such a robot, raising a truly bizarre possibility.

http://www.theatlant...g-robot/282282/

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#3    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,345 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

I think it would be more likely to be someone with a soundboard of pre-recorded stock phrases.

#4    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 4,021 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

It will not make a difference for me if the phone sales is a computer. The Computer sales will get the same care from me.
Means, he will get the same offending and barefaced vituperations b4 I hang up after 10 sec.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#5    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 11,397 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:04 PM

I dont think its long now till something like this is refined and in daily use. heck, my mobile phone service, (EE in UK) uses a similar setup... When Im adding credit I speak to an automated voice, who takes my card number, understands how much I want to put on, even tells me...."Im just putting that thru for you now" and then tells me, GREAT, you have now topped up X amount!!

Tho to be fair the voice doesn't 'get' any nonsense speak... I have asked it before for a free phone and got nowhere!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users