Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Coronal Hole Facing Earth

sun corona coronal hole solar wind solar dynamics observatory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,060 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:04 PM

Coronal Hole Facing Earth

A significantly large coronal hole rotated across the middle of the Sun to be in a position to affect Earth (Dec. 9 - 13, 2013). Viewed in extreme ultraviolet light, the dark region is where the magnetic field of the Sun is more open, emitting streams of high-speed solar wind. Over the next few days, this solar wind is likely to impact Earth's magnetosphere and possibly cause displays of aurora.

Credit: Solar Dynamics Observatory/NASA

Source: NASA - Multimedia

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

Oh, I hope there are lovely displays of the Aurora Borealis this year.  When is it that the sun's polarity is supposed to shift?

#3    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 4,238 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 16 December 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Oh, I hope there are lovely displays of the Aurora Borealis this year.  When is it that the sun's polarity is supposed to shift?

Enjoy:
http://spaceweather.com/

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 33,060 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:29 PM

View Postmoonshadow60, on 16 December 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

When is it that the sun's polarity is supposed to shift?
Any time now.

It's not something that can be predicted with 100% accuracy. Astronomers have been expecting it since August.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#5    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Thank you for the link, Toast.  I bookmarked it.  I don't know much about space, physics or science, but it is a fascinating subject.

#6    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 7,173 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:51 PM

One thing I have never seen in the sky is the Aurora Borealis and have always wished I had.

Believing when there is no compelling evidence is a mistake.  The idea is to withhold belief until there is compelling evidence and if the universe does not comply with our predispositions, okay, then we have the wrenching obligation to accommodate to the way the universe really is.  - Carl Sagan

Who is more humble, the scientist who looks at the universe with an open mind and accepts whatever the universe has to teach us or somebody who says everything in this book should be considered the literal truth and never mind the fallibility of the human beings involved in the writing of this legend - Carl Sagan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users