Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Unknown metals

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1    qxcontinuum

qxcontinuum

Poltergeist

• 2,201 posts

• The age of stupid is upon us. Scientific conclusions are drawn from missing data, resuming to suppositions and guessing.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:51 AM

I am just thinking; remembering some ufo sightings back in 70's Including the Roswell one,  they were saying many allegedly ufo's remains were made from unknown metals.
Is there such thing really?
Our earth formed from the same universal matter and gas as all other planets or universal solar systems. Earth has been bombarded by meteorites bringing in all the goodies and the rest of rare metals. I will be inclined to believe that all existent metals and substances in universe can be found on earth.
Two questions arises;
1) have we truly discovered all the existent metals on earth and implicitly universal existent everywhere
2) have we truly combined all of them together experimenting the best combinations so to create strong resistant proprieties.

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,211 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:12 AM

Well there's "unknown to the speaker" and then there's "genuinely unknown to human science".
I seem to recall someone suggesting that the "unknown metal" found at Roswell was something that was still top secret at the time rather then something genuinely alien.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#3    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,139 posts

• Oops.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:34 AM

1) have we truly discovered all the existent metals on earth and implicitly universal existent everywhere
I wouldn't expect to find new metals, but new alloys or new forms of ceramic and plastics I can certainly see. We already have ceramics that outperform metals.

2) have we truly combined all of them together experimenting the best combinations so to create strong resistant proprieties.

Despite not being an expert or particularly interested in the field, nope. Every year or s there are improvements being made.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#4    psyche101

psyche101

The Customer.

• 38,369 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:03 AM

qxcontinuum, on 17 December 2013 - 01:51 AM, said:

I am just thinking; remembering some ufo sightings back in 70's Including the Roswell one,  they were saying many allegedly ufo's remains were made from unknown metals.
Our earth formed from the same universal matter and gas as all other planets or universal solar systems. Earth has been bombarded by meteorites bringing in all the goodies and the rest of rare metals. I will be inclined to believe that all existent metals and substances in universe can be found on earth.
Two questions arises;

Despite all the Alien Metal claims out there, one test will tell you immediately if a metal is not from this world - Isotope ratios. It's how we can tell if a meteorite is really a meteorite.

READ - What Are Isotopes, and Why Should We Care?

"It is, of course, a trifle, but there is nothing so important as trifles."
-- Sherlock Holmes

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#5    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:54 AM

Yeah, I remember back in the seventies and eighties everyone was talking about finding some unknown and exotic material to prove it was extraterrestrial. When I pointed out that the periodic table of elements wasn't limited to earth to this one fellow it was like telling a child there was no Santa.

#6    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

psyche101, on 17 December 2013 - 06:03 AM, said:

Despite all the Alien Metal claims out there, one test will tell you immediately if a metal is not from this world - Isotope ratios. It's how we can tell if a meteorite is really a meteorite.

READ - What Are Isotopes, and Why Should We Care?

"It is, of course, a trifle, but there is nothing so important as trifles."
-- Sherlock Holmes

I get what you're saying but doesn't the whole isotropic thing change once materials are refined?

#7    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

All sorts of new, exotic materials, metallic and otherwise are conceivable.  Given a sufficiently advanced technology, these could be built up on the the molecular or even the atomic level. It could then be possible to specify the inclusion and location of various kinds of molecules or atoms within a material, allowing heretofore unexpected properties.
Conventional refining methods do not change the isotopic ratios of elements.

#8    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:04 PM

Two questions arises;

The most impressive material I have seen is Krell metal.

Here is a demonstration.  The results of the test were written up in a peer reviewed journal.  I'll find the link for that later:

Edited by zoser, 17 December 2013 - 06:06 PM.

Posted Image

#9    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,124 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

Two questions arises;

Roswell featured metalized plastic film which at the time was a very new material and not known outside of certain segments of the defense industry.  It was used to create the lightweight RADAR targets carried in the balloon trains used in Project Mogul. It resembled aluminum foil but retained its shape when bent.  That would have been totally unexpected by a casual observer at the time.  

There are only so many possible metals as elements so it is not likely there are really any "unknown" metals.  There may be alloys we have not made and manufacturing processes we have not imagined but the underlying atoms are the same here, Andromeda, or anywhere in the Universe.

#10    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,762 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:05 PM

zoser, on 17 December 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

The most impressive material I have seen is Krell metal.

The results of the test were written up in a peer reviewed journal.

I'll find the link for that later:

Found it for you.  http://environmental...eriodic/Al.html

I still await the compelling Exhibit A.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#11    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,762 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

If it had been anyone else posting that Krell metal stuff I would have known it was a joke,... but with this clown, based on his previous record, you never know.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -Edmund Burke

#12    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,740 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:38 PM

sinewave, on 17 December 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

Roswell featured metalized plastic film which at the time was a very new material and not known outside of certain segments of the defense industry.  It was used to create the lightweight RADAR targets carried in the balloon trains used in Project Mogul. It resembled aluminum foil but retained its shape when bent.  That would have been totally unexpected by a casual observer at the time.  

There are only so many possible metals as elements so it is not likely there are really any "unknown" metals.  There may be alloys we have not made and manufacturing processes we have not imagined but the underlying atoms are the same here, Andromeda, or anywhere in the Universe.
If 'metalized plastic film' refers to 'Mylar', a common trade name for BoPET (biaxially oriented polyethylene terephthalate), this was not developed until the mid-1950's. It could not have been involved in the Roswell incident in 1947. Besides this, 'Mylar' can be easily cut and burned, while it was reported that the Roswell material could not be.
http://en.wikipedia...../BoPET#History

Edited by bison, 17 December 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#13    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,762 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:56 PM

bison, on 17 December 2013 - 08:38 PM, said:

Besides this, 'Mylar' can be easily cut and burned, while it was reported that the Roswell material could not be.

Reported by whom?

#14    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 14,174 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

as I keep asking...how can a metal that cant be cut or torn.... end up in pieces in the first place?  memory metal?

Did it forget?

It wasn’t the miners who got rich; it was the people selling picks and shovels. Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored
It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it"

#15    zoser

zoser

Sapphire

• 10,009 posts

• It is later than you think.

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

seeder, on 17 December 2013 - 09:06 PM, said:

as I keep asking...how can a metal that cant be cut or torn.... end up in pieces in the first place?  memory metal?

Did it forget?

Depends what how big the pieces were and what they were attached to.  Doesn't mean that the original pieces were torn; they just became detached on impact.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users