Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Accepted pyramid building theories 'wrong'

peter james sarah dickins pyramid building theories

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,330 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

A Newport engineer says his discovery about how the Egyptian pyramids were built threatens to shake up the world of archaeology. Peter James revealed to Sarah Dickins how he thinks the accepted theories about pyramid building are wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-25412540

Posted Image

#2    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,107 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

Does it involve aliens?

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#3    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

This is excellent. I saw the documentary of this guy and his company doing the restoration work in the Step Pyramid. This man knows what he is doing and talking about. This is a theory from reality, not fantasy. We need to wait to see all his theory before making any conclusions. It may he is correct about some pyramid construction and not others, though this looks very promising, and NO aliens :)

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,690 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostColonel Rhuairidh, on 18 December 2013 - 03:17 PM, said:

Does it involve aliens?

No, and if the gentleman would have kept up with the development in archeology, the inside-out building is one of the accepted theories (though not mainstream) and has been proposed decades ago.

And as far as revolutionary: Not much would change... so instead of putting down the outer stones first they put down the inner stones... so what?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    cladking

cladking

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,498 posts

• Tempus fugit.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

The concept of ramps far inside the pyramid as he proposes is improbable.  It would require
most of the weight of the structure to be taken up inside and then the only means to fill the
void would be hauling it up the outside and dumping down into the chasm. Perhaps his idea
is more workable idea than what is presented.

I do like this part though;

"He adds that had that happened, there would still be signs that the ramps had been there."

Edited by cladking, 18 December 2013 - 03:58 PM.

Men fear the pyramid, time fears man.

#6    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 12,245 posts

• - God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi -

"Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

I had an inkling of this years ago ... just sayin' ... now I'm just waiting for that 'revelation that the 'air shafts' were just to keep track of the chambers and keep them centered as the whole structure was piling up ... and the twenty years time frame is totally impossible ... no matter how the current theories want to pretty up the numbers ...

~edit - bold

Edited by third_eye, 18 December 2013 - 04:14 PM.

He who postpones the hour of living rightly ... is like the rustic who waits for the river to run out ... before he crosses.
Horace - Roman lyric poet & satirist 65 BC - 8 BC
~

third_eye cavern ~ bring own beer

#7    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

"If we would know, then we would be more wisdomed."

• 9,550 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

This reporting of a "new theory" is almost as haired-brained as that Idiot group from NC reporting the patch on the Pars Virginiae map like it was new.

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#8    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• 1,021 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

I would have thought that an engineer who has carried out contracts for the Egyptian government in pyramid restoration for the past 18 years, would have a better idea about this than the rest of us sitting on our butts and pontificating from our homes. He is clearly not a nutter or some fantasist, and even though the idea he has it not hot off the press, I would have thought it sensible to read his full report, when it appears, before trashing him. Or is there a new commandment "Thou shalt not have any new ideas about pyramids unless approved by Mark Lehner", and that is no disrespect to Lehner, or Petrie, or Romer for that matter.

Edited by Kaa-Tzik, 19 December 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#9    docyabut2

docyabut2

Alien Abducter

• 5,383 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

I`d go with Jean-Pierre Houdin`s  theory since there was only one ramp found leading to the pyramid,

http://en.wikipedia....n-Pierre_Houdin

#10    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,152 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

View PostKaa-Tzik, on 19 December 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

I would have thought that an engineer who has carried out contracts for the Egyptian government in pyramid restoration for the past 18 years, would have a better idea about this than the rest of us sitting on our butts and pontificating from our homes. He is clearly not a nutter or some fantasist, and even though the idea he has it not hot off the press, I would have thought it sensible to read his full report, when it appears, before trashing him. Or is there a new commandment "Thou shalt not have any new ideas about pyramids unless approved by Mark Lehner", and that is no disrespect to Lehner, or Petrie, or Romer for that matter.

Refer to Post #4, as "the rest of us" are doing no such thing. Many Egyptologists and laymen alike know that Houdin's theory is, in the least, one of many possible ways the GP was constructed. And more often than not those you mention as "pontificating from our homes" are of the variety that don't have a meaningful knowledgebase of AE society to begin making such pronouncements with, yet feel the need to share their ignorance with everyone else as if said ignorance is a fact.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#11    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,111 posts

• Oops.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:57 PM

The article doesn't say that he's spent 18 years working on pyramids. He's spent that time working on various other monuments and has done work on the step pyramid, not the pyramids at Giza.
I ntice from the article he's made this announcement before bringing it up with any archaeologists.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#12    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• 1,021 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 19 December 2013 - 11:46 PM, said:

Refer to Post #4, as "the rest of us" are doing no such thing. Many Egyptologists and laymen alike know that Houdin's theory is, in the least, one of many possible ways the GP was constructed. And more often than not those you mention as "pontificating from our homes" are of the variety that don't have a meaningful knowledgebase of AE society to begin making such pronouncements with, yet feel the need to share their ignorance with everyone else as if said ignorance is a fact.

cormac
Who is ignorant?, who does not have a "meanigful knowledgebase of AE society"? and who needs to "share their ignorance"?
For myself, and until anything more compelling appears, I rather like the Houdin theory. Still seems odd that this guy from Wales is jumped on before he even has a chance to have his say. He is hardly in the fringe league, is he....

Edited by Kaa-Tzik, 20 December 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#13    Kaa-Tzik

Kaa-Tzik

Psychic Spy

• 1,021 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 19 December 2013 - 11:57 PM, said:

The article doesn't say that he's spent 18 years working on pyramids. He's spent that time working on various other monuments and has done work on the step pyramid, not the pyramids at Giza.
I ntice from the article he's made this announcement before bringing it up with any archaeologists.
No one has said he has worked on the GP, and his company has worked on Egyptian monuments for 18 years. It may well not have been him at every single site, but he was certainly at the Step Pyramid, and he has the 18 years of  experience of his company to use. And why does he have to consult archeologists first?, how do you know he has not had conversations with archeologists and Egyptologists. After 18 years working on Egyptian monuments I would be very surprised if he has not spoken many times with them. He is a structural engineer, can he not make statements on his own behalf about this, or does he first have to clear everything with experts designated by members of this forum, in order not to be accused of being a shareholder in Bacofoil.

Edited by Kaa-Tzik, 20 December 2013 - 06:44 PM.

#14    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,111 posts

• Oops.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

As mentioned elsewere this is not a new theory, and at the end of the article he states he's going to share his idea with archaeologist, obviously he hasn't talked with them first.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#15    Willie B Herd

Willie B Herd

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

• No evidence doesn't automatically mean it's impossible.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:00 PM

I don't buy into it....not so new.

The Egyptians may have used this method in some structures, BUT except for in the obvious places, pyramids are SOLID stone, stacked one on top of the other. Internal ramps may have been used, but then removed and replaced w/ stone blocks as the work progressed upward. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and a pyramid is only as strong as its base.

The possibility of the use of multiple cranes @ the same time should also be considered.

ONLY STONE STANDS THE TEST OF TIME.

The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users